• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK experience and a question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had PRK done almost two weeks ago at the Stanford Eye Laser Center in Palo Alto, CA. The surgery was pretty much painless, and although they told me to expect "moderate to severe" pain for the next few days, it wasn't really that bad at all, especially if you stay out of the light.

Anyway, my eyes were 20/400 and -4.75 diopters in both eyes before the surgery. Immediately after the surgery I could see at least 20/40 (maybe a little worse), but it got worse throughout the next couple days. After that it continued to improve to where I am now...I'm guessing my right eye is around 20/30 or so and my left eye seems to be quite a bit worse than that still.

I'm wondering, how long has it taken for other people's eyes to stabilize? And was one eye worse than the other for a while? I know they heal at different speeds, just wondering how long it might take.

Oh, FYI the new Application for Commission has a section about eye surgery where they specifically ask you if you have had any history of eye surgery. If you mark "yes," you have to fill out additional info... They just updated this within the past month or so, my recruiter just sent me the new form.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
It took over 9 months for my eyes to stablize. Before the surgery I was 20/200 (can't remember the diopters). After about two weeks I was 20/30 left eye, 20/40 right eye. It wasn't until about August 2003 (I had the surgery in December 2002) that I was 20/15 left and 20/20 right. However, I still wasn't stable as far as the Navy was concerned. They needed a record of a stable "manifest refraction." You needed to have two eye exams separated by at least a month that stated that your manifest refraction had not changed. I had my flight physical in Sept 2003 but I wasn't considered stable until Jan 2004 when the manifest refraction was the same as it was in Dec 2003.

Currently, I'm 20/15 left 20/20 right eye.

Yes, you will need to provide alot of extra info. The Navy will want just about every piece of paperwork from your eye doctor (preop exams, details about the surgery, all of your post-op exams) that they can get their hands on. Even though I was stable in Jan 2004, it wasn't until May 2004 (about a week or two before commissioning) that I received my waiver from NOMI, oh and you will have to enter a special program for PRK SNAs. I think we have to have extra eye exams throughout flight school and after winging.

Just for an update, it's been about a month and a half since I got PRK and I'm 20/15 both eyes. PRK is awesome... :icon_mi_1

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
3 monthes and I was good. It kept improving and I think I stablized at 6 months, but my eyes weren't nearly as bad as everyone elses. As for the paper work, just go to your Doc, and tell them you need every piece of paper work from your pre-Op to you last exam they do.

Yeah, I'm basically just going to have him send me a copy of my entire chart. At what point do you need to get the wavier? I'm about to send in my package for pro-rec. Thanks

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
You have to send your Med stuff in with your FINDOCS, I think. At that point the Med board looks at your stuff. Check with your recuiter!

Status
Not open for further replies.