• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK before or after OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eph5

I am a college senior graduating in June 2005. I am interested in OCS/flying. I have bad eyes (-2.50 and -3.25). Is there any way I can get PRK *before* entering OCS and enter as a pilot? I've heard you have to get it done by a Navy doctor while you are in...but if I did that I guess I'd have to enter as an NFO and then transition (if possible). I'd much rather enter as a pilot to begin with--anyway to get your eyes fixed *before* you enter? Thanks.

caeli

The best bet in fact is to get the PRK done before you join, then you would be qualified to apply for a pilot slot straight off the bat. If you join as a NFO then there's no guarantee that you can get a transfer (and it's my impression that you have to be extremely lucky to get one). Just make sure you talk to your recruiter about it and save any paperwork from the doc!

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
EPH, I'm somewhat in the same boat as you. My OSO has instructed me to go ahead and do the PRK before OCS. I'd make sure you coordinate this between your OSO and civilian eye doc (there's a 3-6 month "cooling off" period between surgery and OCS anyway). I've got clearance for the procedure from my civilian doc, but I have to go through the Navy flight surgeons first for some reason to make sure I'm an acceptable candidate for PRK. Whatever...

BTW, you don't have bad eyes...my vision is the same as yours and from what I've read from people on this board, there are some folks with -7, -8 or even -9 looking at PRK.

Eph5

timeline

1. what is an OSO?
2. are you going Navy or Marines?
3. when are you starting?
4. are you knowledgeable enough to give me a timeline of events and locations for your first few years as a pilot going through OCS? (where will I potentially be and for how long for the next few years?)
Thanks.

T-man

Eph5 said:
1. what is an OSO?
4. are you knowledgeable enough to give me a timeline of events and locations for your first few years as a pilot going through OCS? (where will I potentially be and for how long for the next few years?)
Thanks.

1. OSO = Officer Selection Office, or Officer Selection Officer.
2. I myself in looking at Marines, so my answers to the 3 and 4 will be Marines related.
3. Hoping to start OCS in June, if not, October.
4. OCS for Marines is 11 weeks long at Quantico, VA. After OCS, you are commissioned, and are given 1 month leave before reporting to TBS (The Basic School). TBS lasts about 6 months (I believe this is also at Quantico), then you are sent to your MOS. If MOS is pilot, you are looking at anywhere from 18-24 months of basic and advanced pilot training depending on your aircraft assignment. Basic Pilot training is conducted at Pensacola, FL. Advanced training can be one of a couple locations depending on your aircraft assignment (fixed wing, helo, etc.). I'm sure someone who has been through training can be more detailed.
NOTE: it is my understanding that all Marine and Navy pilots go through the same exact training school, so after TBS, Marines and Navy will be training together.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
Eph5 said:
1. what is an OSO?
Thanks.

1. See T-man's post.
2. I am also going Marines
3. Hopefully October, but possibly January 2006 (Lots of hurry up and wait in this buisiness...)
4. T-man's pretty much on the mark on this one, from what I understand. I've attached a Navy pipeline that I dug up from the bowels of Internet Hell to give you an basic overview of what you can expect in terms of timeframe.

N.B.: This is an OLD pipeline. Many platforms have changed. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! :propeller

pipeline.jpg

aero

You can always buy the Arco Military Flight Aptitude Test Study Guide. For $25-$30 you can't beat it. It has a pretty good breakdown for pilots for every branch and you will probably need it to study anyway. Just my $0.02.
As for the PRK I would definitely get it done before OCS if you really want to be a pilot. From what my OSO and flight surgeon have told me, it is very hard to transfer over once your in. And get it done ASAP because, like Tripp said, there is a 3-6 month lag. It takes alot of time to get things done so I would start as soon as you can. I was hoping to go to OCS in June but now it looks more like January. I should have started sooner.

How to get PRK once in the Navy?

I was just finally selected for a position as an NFO on Monday. I swear in next thursday and am wondering what's the process and how long does it take to get the PRK surgery performed if the Navy does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.