• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK & BDCP Decision

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I applied SNA & SNFO and have been pro-rec'd for both, but I'm not medically qualified for the NA slot due to my eyesight. I've always wanted to be the PIC, have my PPL, and occasionally have bouts of airsickness when not at the controls (although this has not been the case as of late. I think I may be getting acclimated to flying more and more.). Anyway, I've been told by several friends that NFO's do not get to log any sort of flying time and will consequently have difficulty finding a flying job after their Navy career. I've also been advised by a former teacher/AF fighter pilot of mine to take the Nav slot should I get the final select. If it comes down to the wire, I'll take the NFO offer.

Another option would be to get PRK on my own, wait the six months (?), and then reapply for BDCP, although I am not sure of my chances then, because it would only be about three months until I graduate.

From what I gather, the Navy does not offer PRK between OCS and API/Primary etc. for NFO's trying to transfer to a pilot position, although my recruiter told me I could get (Navy financed)-PRK during this time. I call BS.

What's the word and what would be my best course of action?

nugget81

pilot
Talk with your recruiter and make sure he/she's on board with your decision to get PRK and accept the SNA slot. You'll probably need to explain why you applied for a position you're not qualifed for (SNA with poor vision). However, it can and has been done before. After I was pro-rec'd SNA (and told no on SNFO), I went to MEPS and failed the eye exam (didn't fall within the 20/40 limits to be exact.) I talked with my recuiter and he started calling eye doctors in the area to see about setting up PRK. He worked his butt off for me and I was able to get PRK done about 2 weeks later. I had to wait another 3 months after the surgery to be rechecked by MEPS, and one month after that I was final select. Now here I am in tailhook land.

If you want it bad enough, then go get it already!

P.S. - PRK was the best investment I ever made, even if I hadn't been accepted into the Navy.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
there are waivers for everything. google NOMI waivers and check what all you can apply for.

I have 20/400 (yes, that's a four hundred) vision and I'm a SNA going into advanced. I squeaked in on a soft contact lens waiver (sorry, but I don't think they offer it anymore). I wear contacts when I fly, and carry a pair of flight frames just in case something happens to a lens.

Only thing that sucks is I have to pay for my lenses out of pocket. The navy won't pay for the one medical bill I have, but fear not, after wings its off to the laser man for some eye burnin' fun.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
there are waivers for everything. google NOMI waivers and check what all you can apply for.

I have 20/400 (yes, that's a four hundred) vision and I'm a SNA going into advanced. I squeaked in on a soft contact lens waiver (sorry, but I don't think they offer it anymore). I wear contacts when I fly, and carry a pair of flight frames just in case something happens to a lens.

Only thing that sucks is I have to pay for my lenses out of pocket. The navy won't pay for the one medical bill I have, but fear not, after wings its off to the laser man for some eye burnin' fun.

Then you lucked the hell out! I know a guy in OCS who became NFO when they yanked his Contact lens waiver right before OCS.

And with 20/400 vision, contacts or not, isn't there a restriction about what flying duties you can do? (ie: required to be flying an aircraft with at least another NATOPS qualified pilot onboard or something to that effect?)

I vaguely remember asking the doc at my last Upchit what I could go to in flight school and still be SNA and he said 20/100. I looked it up and it was up to 20/100 without any restriction and up to 20/400 with restrictions (all correctable to 20/20 of course).

MasterBates

I cruised with a guy with the SCL waiver. He would occasionally wear his coke-bottle BCGs when meeting with bigwigs we were about to play air taxi for. Nothing makes SWOs be quiet like a "blind pilot". (he would whip contacts in before launch, but feign extreme nearsightedness)

Junkball

pilot
Talk with your recruiter and make sure he/she's on board with your decision to get PRK and accept the SNA slot. You'll probably need to explain why you applied for a position you're not qualifed for (SNA with poor vision). However, it can and has been done before. After I was pro-rec'd SNA (and told no on SNFO), I went to MEPS and failed the eye exam (didn't fall within the 20/40 limits to be exact.) I talked with my recuiter and he started calling eye doctors in the area to see about setting up PRK. He worked his butt off for me and I was able to get PRK done about 2 weeks later. I had to wait another 3 months after the surgery to be rechecked by MEPS, and one month after that I was final select. Now here I am in tailhook land.

If you want it bad enough, then go get it already!

P.S. - PRK was the best investment I ever made, even if I hadn't been accepted into the Navy.

Good advice, and it's what I'm hoping to do. I think I'll have to take out a 5k loan for the surgery... sucks, but I'll look at it as an investment. I was talking to my dad about it the other night- trying to outline my options and get another opinion. Nice thing is, parents are behind me whatever I do. I suppose the recruiter's advice should be what I'm looking for though... I'm just worried he's going to blow sunshine and tell me something along the lines of "take the NFO and I'm tellin ya, the Navy will pay for PRK to make you a pilot." <- NOT ACCURATE, from what I've read.

Also, I think the SCL waivers are donzo.

nugget61

pilot
I'm considering PRK, so hopefully someone (nugget81, you there?) can reply.
I got my pro-rec sna in october and have subsequently passed the meps distance vision, however I was squinting for everything I was worth to read the 20/40 line (last eye doc visit clocked me at 20/35 no sweat however). I'm worried about the NAMI test, hence the PRK thoughts. Is it still true that I can get PRK now (before the final select)? If yes, can I get the final select while still in the 3-month recovery time since I already passed MEPS and then get retested in 3 months for the wavier? I don't like my odds of getting PRK after OCS and before NAMI, and not getting NPQ is worth the 4k to me.

nugget61

pilot
Followup to my previous post: My OR actually doesn't know if the final select will wait for me to do the 3 months of healing if I go through with the PRK. Anyone know or can tell me where to find it? NAMI guide doesn't say.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Then you lucked the hell out! I know a guy in OCS who became NFO when they yanked his Contact lens waiver right before OCS.

And with 20/400 vision, contacts or not, isn't there a restriction about what flying duties you can do? (ie: required to be flying an aircraft with at least another NATOPS qualified pilot onboard or something to that effect?)

I vaguely remember asking the doc at my last Upchit what I could go to in flight school and still be SNA and he said 20/100. I looked it up and it was up to 20/100 without any restriction and up to 20/400 with restrictions (all correctable to 20/20 of course).

hmm, i haven't seen any restrictions on what I can or can't fly, but then again, i'm not really going to ask someone to tell me. I don't think it matters anymore, I haven't heard of a single seat p-3. Either way, when the good eye doc comes back to NASCC it's time to get the ball rolling on either getting PRK, or getting into the LASIK study as soon as those shiny wings are on my chest.

nugget81

pilot
I'm considering PRK, so hopefully someone (nugget81, you there?) can reply.
I got my pro-rec sna in october and have subsequently passed the meps distance vision, however I was squinting for everything I was worth to read the 20/40 line (last eye doc visit clocked me at 20/35 no sweat however). I'm worried about the NAMI test, hence the PRK thoughts. Is it still true that I can get PRK now (before the final select)? If yes, can I get the final select while still in the 3-month recovery time since I already passed MEPS and then get retested in 3 months for the wavier? I don't like my odds of getting PRK after OCS and before NAMI, and not getting NPQ is worth the 4k to me.

My advice from above still applies. Your recruiter NEEDS to be in the loop. Can you get PRK? Absolutely. You are still a civilian until you sign on the dotted line. Are you entitled to have the Navy hold your slot for you? No. They may say that you need to apply all over again. Talk to your recuiter and see which way he's leaning....

Junkball

pilot
Followup to my previous post: My OR actually doesn't know if the final select will wait for me to do the 3 months of healing if I go through with the PRK. Anyone know or can tell me where to find it? NAMI guide doesn't say.

I'm almost 100% sure you'll have to reapply after surgery. This from my recruiter's mouth. I was in the same boat and for awhile I very nearly turned down the SNFO BDCP contract to reapply some months down the road after probable non-BDCP SNA slot. I'm hoping the Navy will pay for PRK after OCS and I might redesignate to SNA. Nothing definite, but the chance is always there.

I decided that a bird in the hand was worth two in the bush, ya know? Plus all the talk of only accepting 50 applicants a month/reduced slots/Great Depression #2/credit crunch made me think now is the time.

nugget61

pilot
I'm almost 100% sure you'll have to reapply after surgery. This from my recruiter's mouth. I was in the same boat and for awhile I very nearly turned down the SNFO BDCP contract to reapply some months down the road after probable non-BDCP SNA slot. I'm hoping the Navy will pay for PRK after OCS and I might redesignate to SNA. Nothing definite, but the chance is always there.

I decided that a bird in the hand was worth two in the bush, ya know? Plus all the talk of only accepting 50 applicants a month/reduced slots/Great Depression #2/credit crunch made me think now is the time.

I think you're right (and in the other thread as well). However, I applied SNA only so I don't have another option to fall back on.
With regards to the Navy footing the bill, my OR told me last week (rather forcefully) that the Navy will not pay for eye surgery for anyone, no way, no how. However, he also so that I had to be 20/30 uncorrected, so I'd ask someone who really knows.

Junkball

pilot
With regards to the Navy footing the bill, my OR told me last week (rather forcefully) that the Navy will not pay for eye surgery for anyone, no way, no how.

DAMMIT!!

I think winged aviators/NFOs are eligible to get the frickin' laser on the Navy's dime.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
DAMMIT!!

I think winged aviators/NFOs are eligible to get the frickin' laser on the Navy's dime.

Yes winged aviators (pilots and FOs) are PRIORITY for surgery (I think also SPECWAR?).

Once you get your chest candy, and do your first sea tour, you can git 'r done. At least that's what I've heard. Being in flight school still, my word is basically meaningless.

Perhaps a winged dude who's had it done can pipe in?

grant_davis

I think you're right (and in the other thread as well). However, I applied SNA only so I don't have another option to fall back on.
With regards to the Navy footing the bill, my OR told me last week (rather forcefully) that the Navy will not pay for eye surgery for anyone, no way, no how. However, he also so that I had to be 20/30 uncorrected, so I'd ask someone who really knows.

Bummer, I am already on the board for November BDCP SNA. I am almost positive I am going to need PRK. My recruiter told me to apply first and then let MEPS tell me I needed the surgery but by the sound of things that was not my best bet... I can already see what is going to happen. He is going to tell me to switch to a ground contract, get the surgery "The Navy MIGHT even pay for it " and then apply to have my contract switched to Air before I go to OCS.... That was the plan my Marine recruiter was set on and one of the reasons I am talking to the Navy now...

It doesn't make any sence that they wouldn’t wait for my final select. I still have a year and a half of school left. By waiting for my final select it just saves the Navy money they would have paid me during the BDCP. I can see their side though; it doesn’t make any sence that I applied for a position that I am not qualified for.

If I do have to turn down the pro-rec get the surgery and reapply is that going to look horrible on my next application?