• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK after winging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thien

Hey, is there anyone out there perferably at Tinker that knows what the rules are for getting on the list for PRK? Any reply from any base would be helpful. I'm just trying to get an idea of the frequency people are granted the privelage of getting PRK...personally I'm sick of contacts and glasses!

Thanks!

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
PRK factoids

In general, a designated aviator who wishes to get PRk done, goes to a military eye clinic and gets screened by the eye doctor (optometrist). If you meet the requirements (must have vision worse than 20/30, astigmatism from 0.25 to 4.0 D), they give you a PRK consult to see the eye surgeons (ophthalmologists). This consult has to be approved by your CO, optometrist, and flight surgeon. In the past all class I aviators had to have their consults sent to San Diego and have their surgery done at a Navy hospital, but Class II and III's could get it done at any DOD facility. Now I think that has changed, so all designated aviators can have it done at any DOD facility, so long as the request is first submitted to the NMC San Diego Refractive Surgery Center, then to the DOD eye center of your choosing.

Current NAMI gouge is that having PRK done at a civillian facility PERMANENTLY grounds you (for poor headwork at the very least) Also of note is that Class III bubbas (the air traffic controllers and UAV dudes) are the only ones who can have LASIK done.

I have zero knowledge of the who/how/when's etc at Tinker. However, if I were have any operation performed on myself or someone I loved, I would want it done at a center that does a tons of them on a regular basis, vice the one that fit my schedule best. Especially something done on my eyes, of which I don't have a spare...

Best -
Rugger

NFOwife

Aviator Spouse
When my husband had it done, he went through the flight surgeon in his squadron (fleet squadron, not training squadron) to get on the list. He had it done at the Naval Hospital in Portsmouth, which is the only east coast naval hospital that was doing it (at that time, from what Rugger says, it seems to have changed).

Status
Not open for further replies.