• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK After Commissioning, Before TBS (Air Contract)

UCbearcat

Lawn Dart
pilot
I commissioned in June 2012 with an air contract, and it looks like I'll be attending TBS in the April/May timeframe. I already passed the NAMI flight physical, but I feel like my left eye is borderline 20/40. Would it be a bad idea to get corrective surgery between now and when I leave for TBS? I just don't want my eyes to get any worse because if they do I might not be able to pass the next NAMI physical with 20/40 in the left eye.

Now this would leave me 6+ months to recover, but I don't want to push back my TBS date any further. Also, with the downsizing it might be just a good way for them to kick me out.

I also saw on the NAMI waiver guide that they're doing a study on SNAs with LASIK and the time to apply for a waiver is only a max of 4 weeks.

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc...uide/12_Waiver_Guide_Ophthalmology_120629.pdf

Any thoughts?

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
FYI, there's only a 3-month wait for a waiver if your myopia is -6.00 or better. This wasn't abundantly clear to my OSO and I when initially submitting the waiver.

UCbearcat

Lawn Dart
pilot
Thanks for the info. I talked to my OSO and he suggested that I wait until I get to TBS and talk to the doctors there about my PRK options. Do you know if you can train at TBS while waiting to "recover"?

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
Do it before you go or do it after you leave. You don't want to risk being in Quantico any longer than is absolutely necessary.

BMW_Z4_Rules

My eye sight is 20/40 and i am a recent SNA pro rec... i think my eye sight is getting worse... do i have time to do PRK or will i lose my seat? My recruiters do not know about the 3 month waiver. I believe by next year i will not be 20/40 anymore. I dont want to get DQed and redes NFO. I was selected at the December 3rd board.

Eric Becker

Would it be better to get the PRK before attending TBS if you are commissioned with a ground contract and waiting to do the in-house contract switch to air?