• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

    Go here:

    Edit Account Details and Profile

Prior Enlisted

#1
Hey all,

I’ve tried searching and I haven’t found anything like my situation, so I could use a little advice.

I am a pro-rec Y for SNFO with my availability date for OCS in July 2019. I’ll graduate college in april...but my enlisted unit (AF Reserves) is wanting to send me to a 6 month training in Feb 2019. I am well past the point in my major where online classes are offered so it looks like graduation will be pushed back to December—which means no OCS in July.

Now, I’ve heard that if someone refuses an offer from an aviation selection board then they won’t get picked up a second time around (makes sense). My question is since this is completely out of my control and I am doing everything to prevent the disaster, is there any way a selection board would give me a second offer?
My ASTB scores were 50 6/8/7 and my GPA is a 3.3. I’m 24 years old. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!
 

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
#2
...but my enlisted unit (AF Reserves) is wanting to send me to a 6 month training in Feb 2019.
Why would your unit send you to a 6 month training course right before you left the unit/reserves? Do they know you are planning to leave? And you say they want to send you to training, can you decline?

I'm not sure the intricacies or the impact of trying to delay your availability to the right for OCS but I think there are very few courses that would be worth delaying or otherwise fouling up your chance to go to OCS if you could get out of it. You have one chance now, you might not get another.
 
#3
They do know that I’m leaving—I have a signed conditional release a few months ago. But basically the impression I got from them this week is that I’m overdue for this training (I’ve submitted multiple requests over the last two years and now the decide to give me dates) and if I don’t do it then they will discharge me.
I am fighting hard for them to just leave me alone for a few months or send me to the IRR so that I can go commission, because believe it or not being an active duty NFO sounds more appealing to me than turning wrenches on a F-35 for one weekend a month..
 

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
#4
They do know that I’m leaving—I have a signed conditional release a few months ago. But basically the impression I got from them this week is that I’m overdue for this training (I’ve submitted multiple requests over the last two years and now the decide to give me dates) and if I don’t do it then they will discharge me.
I would brief your CoC on the probable adverse affect it could have on your commission, I also might reach out to your recruiter to let them know of this possible issue. If you don't get much traction with your CoC I would keep going up as far as you can, even to your Command C/S/MSgt or CO if that is feasible, to advocate for your case.

I am baffled but unfortunately not surprised that your unit would do this, often an issue like this is fixed by letting the folks making the decision know what the impact would be on a member but then again there are some folks that are assholes and don't care. Let's hope your unit is one that doesn't realize what they may be doing and fixes it. At the same time, if the recruiters here think it is advisable, let your recruiter know and hopefully mitigate the impact if you do end up having to do the training.
 

RedFive

Well-Known Member
pilot
Contributor
#5
Let's hope your unit is one that doesn't realize what they may be doing and fixes it.
+1 for this. Often times in military organizations the actual decision makers are not aware of all the details because someone lower down is making a decision they shouldn't be. This is one of the few times in your career it's worth it to be the loud, obnoxious Airman/Sailor with a problem and force the CoC to hear it.

That said, if you have a Conditional Release...you shouldn't be obligated to training, right? What date does your DD-368 say?
 

Griz882

Well-Known Member
pilot
#6
As a guy who mustanged from the Corps to the Navy (although a long time ago) my advice is to not accept the training. The steps are thus...1. Degree. 2. OCS 3. Fly. You have done your USAF service, have a release, so further training is not necessary - especially as a reservist.
 
#7
The conditional release says that it's good until July 1, 2019. The training isn't optional--they are saying that staying in my current status (drilling reservist) until I go to OCS is not an option. I guess the $300/mo they pay me for drill is breaking the bank. They are telling me that if I do not go they will discharge me. My navy recruiter says that if I'm discharged on a general discharge (which is what it would be) then it will probably effect my eligibility to go to OCS
 

RUFiO181

Making Recruiting Great Again
#8
They are telling me that if I do not go they will discharge me. My navy recruiter says that if I'm discharged on a general discharge (which is what it would be) then it will probably effect my eligibility to go to OCS
Dude, talk to your chain of command. I have a feeling it’s your NCO/senior enlisted passing this information down instead of your leadership.

I try to stay out of these but the few I had to interfere the main issue has been miscommunication between the SNCO and the command leadership.

@Flash has good points.
 

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
#10
nraz94 said:
They are telling me that if I do not go they will discharge me.
So what's the problem in this case? It's only 5 months.

Agree with the peanut gallery that someone in the middle of your CoC (SNCO/company grade officer) is looking at the training requirements, the fact that you don't meet them, and is trying to fix the issue without any regard for common sense.
 

Gatordev

Well-Known Member
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
#11
So what's the problem in this case? It's only 5 months.
At the end of the day, even when taking care of "its" people, Reserve leadership is supposed to be a good steward of the tax-payer's dollar. Sending someone on orders, with all of the BAH (not BAH2), benefits, and per diem when that person is going to leave the unit shortly doesn't make any sense, especially if the individual is specifically asking not to go.

I don't know how it works in the AF, but in the Navy orders are voluntary, even AT. Yes, there are repercussions for not executing your AT, but if someone is being told they "have" to go for anything other than AT, it should say so in the orders. If this is truly training and not operational, I have a hard time believing they'd write the orders that way.
 
Top