• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pre-glaucoma? Really need some help/advice...

exo

Hello,

I'm appealing to the collective wisdom on this board because I'm run into an issue. I had PRK corrective surgery 8 months ago. My OR has told me that he has never submitted a vision waiver before so that's why I'm not sure if this is going correctly.

When I gave him all my medical records and he submitted my package for a pro-rec he apparently gave all my medical info to MEPS. MEPS said I was disqualified due to the PRK (expected, I need a waiver from NOMI right?), and due to pre-glaucoma (365). Now, I've only have had eye pressure problems at one time, about 1.5-2.0 months right after the surgery, when I was using the steroid. They checked on my eyes, said it was high, gave me some drops, had me come in a week later to check it again, was going down slightly but not as much as they wanted, told me to come back in two weeks and checked it again, where it was fine.

Now my OR says our 'last thing' to do is to submit my medical information to "OOC" and see what they have to say. He says I'm a great candidate and he'll recommend me but it'll be up to them. This seems a bit extreme for one small time with high eye pressure, when it's expected following surgery... is my OR making me extremely nervous unnecessarily? Does that temporary high pressure fall under the blanket of symptoms of the PRK surgery so it would be covered under the PRK waiver?

Shouldn't my OR submit my eye information for a waiver before sending everything to MEPS?

Any information you guys can provide will greatly quell my nerves and give me some ammunition when I talk about this next.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
exo,

I don't see this as being too unusual....., the pre-glaucoma thing..... Seems like the 'puff' test proved your pressure was WNL. I don't see that as being a problem.

WRT the OR submitting eye info...I will leave that up to those more experienced at MEPS issues.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
exo,

I don't see this as being too unusual....., the pre-glaucoma thing..... Seems like the 'puff' test proved your pressure was WNL. I don't see that as being a problem.

WRT the OR submitting eye info...I will leave that up to those more experienced at MEPS issues.

I HATE the 'puff' test, I still fail it quite often. Lets just say I flinch really bad. They had to numb my eyes and use another measuring instrument when I went through NAMI, they said it was not too unusual. Not sure what the other instrument was but you could always ask to be tested by that one.

exo

My OR has stated he submitted my medical papers to N3M for final review... I'm not sure what this even is, can anyone explain?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I owe you a punch in the shoulder for flinching.:D

If you had done that during my intial NAMI I would have kicked you in the nuts. Two things during the NAMI made me sweat, both had to deal with my eyes. Thankfully I made it through both, but I was a nervous wreck.

exo

Ok, well the answers this thread has received have been less than helpful. My recruiter has told me he is sending my medical information to N3M. Does anyone know what that even is? Also, what if they DQ me. I DON'T have high eye pressure, I had it for about 2.5 weeks because of the steroid I was on from PRK. If they DQ me what are my options? I simply need them to literally physically test my eyes to see that I don't have have high pressure but it seems like no one is willing to take that actual step.

My recuiter is making sound like if this N3M comes back and says no then I am disqualified from this with no retribution simply from them looking at paperwork and not actually examining me.

I don't think this recruiter properly understands this process. Does anyone know where I could call to talk to someone about scheduling an actual physical?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
exo,

Perhaps answers on this thread would be helpful if you asked them in the right forum. Go back to the main page, select a more appropriate forum and post your question there.

Don't sweat the eye pressure thing; YOU said this: "...come back in two weeks and checked it again, where it was fine."