• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Post Commission

smonahan

This is putting the cart before the horse a little here but I would like to know how much time is there(roughly) between the commissioning ceremony/grad date and when you can leave Newport, and return to family and go to new command(NAS P-cola)? Thanks as always for the input.

Renegade One

None
You'll get a variety of answers, I'm sure...but the only ACCURATE reply is "It depends..."

The REAL trick is to NOT leave Newport before the commissioning ceremony...if you get my drift.

Best I could do...

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Well, I would have to respectfully disagree with the "it depends" answer.

Provided that you have no holds (medical/security clearance/etc), you're free to leave as soon as you pickup your medical and enlisted folders. When do you do that? Immediately after the graduation ceremony. It doesn't take more than 10 minutes to walk over there and get them. What's going to take a long time is getting all of your crap out of your room.

But they kick you out of Nimitz as soon as you have a bar on.

Why would you want to goto Pensacola right away? Go home for a week or something. Get through OCS first and then see how you feel about reporting into PNAS right away.

smonahan

Thanks for the replies guys, I have a slightly unique situation(depends on your pov) but I have no home right now I am living with my sister-in-law(Denver) for another month with my wife and baby before leaving for OCS. The wife and baby are going to go stay with her mom in Italy(Naples) until I am done, she is stoked about being in Pensacola and getting our stuff out of the storage(Knoxville) it has been in since May. So short the short story that was made long is I am trying to best figure when or if I can go to Italy get her and the baby and come back with out burning a shit ton of leave I won't have. Toss in trying to get them on a MAC flight and it's a real goat. So any info will help.

Can you stay attached to whatever command it is in Newport after you commission for a short time before leaving?

Do you get time to secure your crap and get it moved(DITY)?

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Once you get the commission, they wash their hands. You're no longer their problem and it's up to you to get to your next duty station. I went in the hole with leave I didn't have. So I used whatever leave I earned while at OCS plus 6 days I didn't have.

LET73

Yes, you'll have time to go through your stuff and pack it up before commissioning. I had my bags packed the night before and could have been gone 15 minutes after the ceremony ended (though I stuck around for a couple hours). You'll also be able to set up flights while you're at OCS--just hold off on doing that until it's pretty clear what date you'll graduate.

If you're not prior enlisted and don't have leave built up, you may end up going in the hole. Don't worry about it. Just be smart about taking leave afterward, and it will build back up faster than you think.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I agree with him 100%. I tried getting my stuff packed the weekend before, but since I was on indoc I didn't have time to finish until afterwards. *shrug*