• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Platform Selection, How does that work?

Grizzly

Is there anyone with any experience on how platform selection works out of advanced? Are there any factors weighed more than other, is it a metric, or just the CO picking? This of course is under the assumption that every platform is available. Thanks.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A few things go into platform selection out of advanced. Here's a list of a few:
1. Overall grades
1 a. Class standing
2. Boat grades
3. NEEDS OF THE NAVY
3a. FRS class start dates v. winging date
4. Quality spread

It has always been that the VT will give the #1 guy is first selection. Work hard, have fun, and in the end, you will enjoy whatever platform you are selected to fly.

red_ryder

None
I'll piggyback on that, the only factor among those *that you can control* is how well you do on flights and the boat if you're a pilot. Like he said, work hard and have fun, and the rest will take care of itself.

Grizzly

Thank you for the replies. I was only curious because I finished top in my class and got my second choice, while someone else got the slot I was hoping for. I wasnt sure what other factors were considered by CNATRA during the selection.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thank you for the replies. I was only curious because I finished top in my class and got my second choice, while someone else got the slot I was hoping for. I wasnt sure what other factors were considered by CNATRA during the selection.
What were your first and second choices? BTW, CNATRA doesn't select you, that's usually done by the Plans & Production officer in your squadron.

You may want to talk with your advisor/on-wing or maybe even the P&P officer.

Grizzly

My first choice was VAQ and my second was VFA-106. Im not complaining I just was not expecting to get my second choice which is why I was curious about what they looked at during selection.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I finished top in my class and got my second choice, while someone else got the slot I was hoping for.
You need to get used to the idea that you're not always going to get what you want in this business.

Im not complaining I just was not expecting to get my second choice
You're coming close to sounding like it.

You may want to talk with your advisor/on-wing or maybe even the P&P officer.
I recommend against this course of action. You didn't get your first choice. That sucks. Have a beer. Wake up tomorrow, pack your shit for 106 and then go do your best when you get there.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I recommend against this course of action. You didn't get your first choice. That sucks. Have a beer. Wake up tomorrow, pack your shit for 106 and then go do your best when you get there.
No, he doesn't need to suck it up. For as long as I remember, the #1 guy in flight school gets his #1 pick. There's nothing wrong with asking the question without wanking. If the guy worked his ass off and was expecting his #1 choice, then he deserves an answer. Will this change the fact that he got his #2 choice, maybe not, but at least he'll get an answer then he can move on.

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
You need to get used to the idea that you're not always going to get what you want in this business.

You're coming close to sounding like it.

I think being told "being top of your class you will always get your #1 pick, unless the community does not have a spot for you" the entire time you are in training... working your ass off to get #1... and then your #1 pick given to someone who wasn't the #1 in the class... Is worthy of "complaining".

Now I understand why my brief at TW-6 this week was, "99.99999999% of the time if you are the top of your class you will get your #1 spot.... although this didn't happen recently...".

I would start asking questions / becoming close to annoying before you leave for the FRS if it really matters to you. If not, don't piss in in your own kiddie pool. ;) Just remember not to have a bad attitude or come off whiny and hopefully they will at least be able to explain to you why you didn't get what you wanted, rather than wondering why you were shafted right out of the gate and becoming bitter for the rest of your naval career.

exNavyOffRec

from an old CPO's perspective there is a way to ask "why I didn't get this" without sounding like you are complaining but instead making it sound as if you are asking "what could I have done better", just like there is a way to tell your supervisor he is fucked up without telling him he is fucked up, of course both require thought prior as to what you are going to say and remembering to remain calm when answers are given.

Grizzly

Thanks for the advice gentlemen its all appreciated. I wouldn't have made a post here if this wasnt the platform I wanted to fly for the past four years, its where the username Grizzly comes from.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A lot of good advice in this thread from both perspectives. Grizzly congrats on the hard work and FWIW none of your posts came across to me as complaining at all. Just sounded like you were trying to understand and get confirmation on the process. I had the same question after advanced when the training command told my class which base we were each going to. Based on class ranking. I ended up with my last choice and was surprised. I went in and respectfully inquired about my final ranking and basing assignments. Turned out that my final grades for advanced weren't tabulated correctly. A short call to pensacola and they corrected it on the spot. I'm not saying that it's the exact same scenario or outcome as yours. But a whole 22 year career in the Navy has taught me that there is nothing wrong with asking the hard question or getting an explanation if time and circumstances permit. The end answer in your case may be that they needed quality spread and based on your hard work they wanted to send you there. I can't speak for tacair, but this has been done in the P3/P8 community to balance out the "talent" across the community. In the end, it's always how you go forward from here. Your reputation proceeds and follows you. Be the guy or gal that handles it with class, not that I would expect otherwise from your posts. Regardless congrats again!!

John

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I think there's something Grizzly (and many of the subsequent posters) could benefit from remembering. There are A LOT of dudes left out in the bread line looking in at Naval Aviation. You're going to fly Super Hornets and not Growlers. To use a tired cliche - first world problems.

My reluctance to support the "go ask why" plan is formed from seeing it done EXTREMELY poorly on several occasions, not just out of the VTs, but also from the RAG. You're likely going to ask the question of someone (someones) who at some point didn't get their first choice, and may have little appetite for your inquiry. Some of the guys you may be taking this question to likely had eight options when they left flight school (VF, VFA, VS, VAQ) and may have gotten their fifth or eight choice...

John offers a glimmer of hope that you could identify a scoring error - but I offer that chance is WAY over in the by-exception category and not the rule.

IF you decide to pursue that course of action I would encourage you to do it as graciously as possible and to remember that it's a pretty common practice for VT IPs to call their boys at the various RAGs to give an unofficial read in on an inbound Cone - and it's not usually to tell them how awesome he is. One of the most commonly used conduits for this is from VT to RAG Paddles.

Another factor that may be at play; the days of VAQ (G) getting nothing but first round draft picks is over. Has been for some time. The spread between 106 (C/E/F), 122 (C/E/F), and 129 is much more equitable and qualitatively spread than it had been for 129's G infancy. As far as you know 129 may have taken three first round draft picks in a row and 106 was due.

Again, if you decide to pursue, I encourage you do to it with caution and humility. This WILL NOT be the last time you don't get what you want in your career and there is not an appeal or inquiry process at each step of the game.

Last edited:

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Grizzly,
Sorry you didn't get your first pick but the aviation Gods have smiled upon you. Welcome to the pointy nose world. You can see the true assholes are elsewhere.
That's really funny, especially coming from you. :D
resized_fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-can-t-tell-if-failed-troll-or-rage-quit-ce39af.jpg

Last edited: