• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PFT

Status
Not open for further replies.

klostman

the happy dance!
Hey guys, a quick question for all who have done their PFT. What do you recommend for a good meal the day before the PFT. I want to make sure I get some good carbs in but avoid the complex ones. My PFT is Saturday Oct, 19 and I want to get a good meal and nights rest before that day. Thanks!

jet_ifr

Here's what I do before a PFT and it seems to work for me. The day before start drinking water 24 hours prior. If you have one of those Nalgene jars keep it full and within your reach constantly. Your piss should be clear every time you wee-wee, and you should feel like you have to go lots. Eat a high complex carb meal the night before, like pasta, but go easy on the fatty sauces. Get plenty of sleep and take a couple Advil before bed. Eat a light simple carb, healthy breakfast, no Jimmy-Dean Sausage or plates of bacon, try a bananna and one a bowl of cheerios, easy on the milk. Eat a power bar 2-3 hours prior to your PFT, any later and you'll see it again in about 20 minutes or so when you start your run. Don't drink caffine 2-3 hours prior to your PFT b/c it'll raise your blood pressure and heart rate. Keep yourself hydrated in the morning, but don't pound down the water b/c you'll just puke it up on the run. Psyche yourself up and you'll kick ass.

good luck,

John

Lt_SNA_USMC

Gentleman:
I do not mean to come across like a "know-it-all" but I do run a 290+ PFT and I was an Exercise Physiology major in college. So with that said, I have ready several studies lately that have found that caffine actually aids athletes in endurance events. Since the 3 mile run for most people exceeds the 17 minute mark, it can be considered an endurance event. Caffine does raise the heart rate and causes vasoconstriction of the blood vessles which in turn raises blood pressure, but for some reason (they do not know why), it actually aids athletes in endurance events. I had a exercise physiology professor who runs marathons tell me that he always takes in a little caffine before he runs. Not too much (a cup of coffee), but just a little to "get him started." Everything else jet_ifr said sounded right on in my experience. I think PFTs are mental. Just run like hell. Anyways, just thought someone might think the caffine thing interesting. good luck and Semper Fi.
Lt. Williamson, USMC

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
This is just for your own "education": If you're a little nervous about the PFT and want to rest between events it is possible. Technically, per Marine Corps order, you have 24 hours to complete the PFT once it has begun. You don't have to rush. The reality in the fleet is that you will knock out all three events as quickly as possible to carry out the plan of the day. If I were putting in a package for the OSO, I would take my time and score as high as possible to make my package look better. Make sure you inform your OSO prior to the PFT that you intend to take your time.
By the way, I'm impressed at all the preparation and the thought you gentleman have taken in preparing for the PFT. Most folks I know are either elite members of the "6" mile a year club or they laugh at the guys who finish the run who are puking up last nights booze from the prePFT party.(People who puke always buy for the post PFT party). Believe it or not, most still score 270 or better. Obviously, you gents are doing it alot smarter then we do though it may not be as fun! Semper, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

klostman

the happy dance!
Appreciate the advice guys. I am a little nervous but overall, I feel good. I realize this isn't the olympics, but at the same time, I am applying to be an officer of the Marine Corps. So its in my best interests to do extremely well here since this could be the clincher for my package. In any case, I just gotta go out and do what I gotta do. Any little thing I can do to help myself, I'm all ears. Thank you again.

kmc9280

For those that have been through OCS please help. My OSO told me that when doing the sit-up portion of the PFT that you don't really go all the way down to your blades. I took the PFT today and did well on PU's and the run but the sit-ups were 78. I did it with a SSgt. new to the OSO office and afterwards the Capt. told me to take it again before submitting for the SU part. He said the SSgt. had me doing them wrong touching my blades to the deck. He said technically you are supposed to but in OCS they aren't as picky about that and you actually do kind of a rocking motion keeping your stomach flexed w/o actually touching your blades (some kind of secret he said). Is this true? He's put quite a few guys through so I would think he knows what's up. He said I should do 90-100 his way. Thanks for the help.

Kevin

O-man

I have been told to do them several diferent ways. I did about 78 the first time I ever did them before I enlisted. then I just did them every day. I never Ever do less than 100 now. But if I dont do them for a few months, I have to fight for them. If I do them often, I get the 100 with a stoopid amount of time left. Just do them a lot with blades hitting- b/c thats going to be the hardest. them worry about what they tell you when they get there. Real PFTs often have a person demonstrate every event first. At least of OCC or others schools the do.

Tessone

Is this something that varies from OSO to OSO, or do most of them let you do them without touching your blades to the deck?

My numbers would be way higher if I could do that.

--
Chris Tessone
http://www.polyglut.net/

klostman

the happy dance!
My OSO told me touch blades. Thats what I got used to doing. Honestly, I feel little difference between touching them and not.

Tessone

Originally posted by O-man
Ooh Rah Tessone KOLOH E-1351. LTH LCPL O-man USMCR
Hah! It took me a minute to figure out what you were saying. What school is Epsilon Chapter?

LTH,
Chris
DT 1164 (Knox College)

--
Chris Tessone
http://www.polyglut.net/

Lt_SNA_USMC

Your shoulder blades need to hit the deck on each repetition. Your butt cannot come off the deck, and your arms cannot come off your chest. Your heels can be as close to your ass as you like, and you need to touch both elbows to your thighs on each rep. MANY people cheat on this event in my experience. Do them correctly and when it comes PFT time, you'll be good-to-go. Do them everyday like O-man said. I do them every other day now to maintain. I do 100, wait 2 minutes, do 80, wait 2 minutes, 60, then 40 then 20. It's tough but if you can do that, it'll keep you PFT ready. Works for me anyways. Same goes for pull-ups-- do them correctly, then worry about your numbers. I've seen candidates at OCS rip out 12-15 at the initial PFT, and the instructor did not like any of them. Sucks to be that guy. Hope this helped. Semper Fi.
Lt. Williamson

kmc9280

Lt.,
What do you mean rip out 12-15? I mean he didn't like them because that's all they could do or what?

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.