• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PFT - i'm screwed

Status
Not open for further replies.

blades

i've been talking with the boys at the OSO office, finished the MEPS, got all my paperwork in, now i just need to do the PFT and ASTB.

i told them that i wanted to do the PFT in either Dec or Jan, then seemed cool with this. however, yesterday i get a message that the OSO will be here on Wednesday, and that they'll administer the PFT then because a few other guys at my school are going.

problem: i have the flu and my shoulder is f'd up pretty good after too many pull-ups. i called the office to let them know that i am not prepared to do the PFT this week, but all i get is "we can see what areas you need work on"

how bad does it look if you bomb the PFT? this has thrown a monkey wrench in my routine. above all, i don't want the OSO to think i'm not serious about this by getting a terrible score. only problem is, he is expecting me on wednesday.

what the hell am i supposed to do ?

Tessone

The bottom line is, you do not submit your package until you want to. Your OSO can put pressure on you, and honestly, that's a good thing, but they're not going to send in the package til you give the go. So wait a while on the PFT.

Are you applying for PLC? I am too, and the board doesn't sit until like March or April. So you do have time. I am in the same boat (whole package looks good, but I'm not ready for PFT).

--
Chris Tessone
http://www.polyglut.net/

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
Go with your OSO, and run the damn PFT. If you don't do as good as you want to, just tell them you weren't feeling too good. (if its true). You can run the PFT every day if thats what it takes to get the score you want to be sent in. I worked at my OSO's office for two months after i got commissioned and i got real sick of hearing candidates whine about taking the PFT because they had some date, months later, of when they thought they'd be ready. Run the PFT, show them that you're working at it. They'll be a time when running a PFT will seem easy. At OCS you'll wish you were running a PFT instead of the PT you'll do.

I also can't believe you've gone to MEPS and have done all the paperwork without ever running a PFT. That means you've had PLENTY of time. I don't mean to sound crude, but man, this is the Marine Corps, if you don't like to PT, join another service.

And Tessone, maybe you should spend a little less time on your artsy Russian webpage and PT. Honestly, how can your whole package be in and yet you say, "I'm not ready for PFT."

Please, other Marines out there, does this sound right or am i just crabby from looking at T-34 specs and EP's 24/7?

Anyway, its great that you're interested in the Marine Corps. I was where you guys were once not too long ago. Just PT. And don't whine about it.

Tessone

First off, I did not mean to give the impression that he shouldn't be doing PT or shouldn't run the PFT with the other people at his school. What I meant is that he has time before he has to submit a final score.

Secondly, back off on the ad hominem attacks. On the average weekday, between martial arts, lifting, running, crunches, etc., I spend about three hours on PT. Keep in mind that this is along with maintaining a >3.5 GPA with two challenging majors (math and Russian). I am just as dedicated to becoming an Officer of Marines as any other candidate, but I'm starting with a lot less. I've dropped nearly 6 minutes from my 3 mile time since June, and I'm still working. Yes, I am not ready to submit a PFT score, but that doesn't mean I'm not working, and I'm sure as hell not whining about it. Take a break from those T-34 specs and cool off, huh?

--
Chris Tessone

kraemer77

From the perspective of a former enlisted Marine out of Parris Island, I would say that your comments are perfectly in line PAT1USMC. Many of these applicants I listen to on here, USMC and Navy, seem to think that a PRT is only done every six months and that is all of the PT they will have to do otherwise. Perhaps more so in the Navy, but not for the USMC. Marines do PT all of the time--motivated ones are up early on SAT and SUN to PT. I decided to look at the Navy for OCS but that did not deter me from seeking a challenge exercise regime and starting my preparation well in advance of submitting my kit. Marine OCS is unrelenting, and from what I understand, so is The Basic School. In boot camp you had no choice about participating--either you worked through the injury and pain, or you were recycled to MRP or PCP--places no recruit wanted to go to, or stay for any extended amount of time. Developing a strong mental mind, as well as a strong physical body is paramount to surviving both of these educational and training programs. Plus, this is the same kind of attitude you are going to experience while in OCS, TBS, and in the fleet Marines for the rest of your career. PAT1USMC is right and you should heed his advice.

Semper Fi
kraemer77

blades

thanks for the replies, but some of you have misunderstood me.

i know damn well that the Corps keeps its men and women in top shape. that's a big reason i'm applying. this has nothing to do with "whining over PT" an off day for me is running 2 miles uphill.

in between 18 credits and a job, i work out relentlessly. my problem is i don't believe i'll be able to put my best showing.

i heard that the board only knows about one's best PFT score, unlike the ASTB. is this true ?

JTP

The more I see Cunny post, the more I'm thinking about heading over to the Marine recruiters.

J. Tyler Pate

GO DAWGS!

Tessone

Look, I'm not going to continue this with you. Your notion of service to one's country is hitting the weight room so you can pound some Iraqis to death with your bare hands, and that's really unfortunate. I have made a committment to becoming an Officer of Marines, which requires brains as well as physical toughness, and I intend to see it through. More than that, I'm committed to doing more than the bare minimum to get that commission, so physically I will be indistinguishable from all the other 2LTs at TBS when I graduate. I'm convinced of that because I am dedicated to what I'm doing.

If your idea of service to country is spewing xenophobic trash all over this forum, go ahead--I'm just going to ignore you. But just one question: if PT takes up so much time that I should give up maintaining my website (which takes less than one hour a week), why aren't you on the PT field?

--
Chris Tessone

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
C-linguist, i'm starting to like your crude humor...

Anyway, I guess this topic is done.

But i would like to say one more thing. It seems that there are many times that the candidates on this forum try to argue with Lieutenants and other higher ranking Marines that have been through all of this before and know the real story and how things really work. (Only about certain things of course). Don't tell us how hard it is, or how much "work" college is, we've been there. Make your comments, but don't argue with facts.

Blades, good luck with your PFT and your application. If you really want to be a Marine, I hope you make it.

Tessone, you're not worth replying to. I think its just that beret thing your wearing in that picture that pisses me off...good lord...

Tessone

Right, because clothing tells you everything about who a person is.

I'm wearing a cap in that picture, the sort you can buy anywhere in the states. My grandfather wears one, for crying out loud. It isn't a beret.

--
Chris Tessone

Tessone

Thanks, Espy. It's nice to have a solid number to shoot for over the next couple of years.

--
Chris Tessone

Jester

pilot
Tessone give it a rest man. You've got commissioned Marine officers telling you how it is and your arguing with them acting like their picking on you. Friggin pipe down and listen to what they're telling you.

Blades, just like Pat and Cunning said you just gotta suck it up and do it. Two years ago when I did my initial PFT I had just gotten over the flu and still had kind of a head cold. During the run I had side cramps the whole time and when I was done I puked my guts out. I felt like a putz because I probably looked like I was in horrible shape. Nonetheless I earned like a 250 pft score, nothing great but good enough for my package. Remember it's just a pft - crunches, pull-ups, and 3 mile run - it's not like a 2 hr. pt session. Besides all you need a is a first class pft score, so don't worry about it to much.

Semper Fi,
Jester 2ndLt. USMCR

Rainman

pilot
blades,
Everyone here is giving you the scoop. Keep this is perspective. . the OSO is on your side. His job is to match the most qualified applicants to become the most qualified candidates that have the potential to be Officers of Marines. He ISN'T going to take a 206 PFT score and send it in with your package. . He MAY make some suggestions to your program, have you PT with other Marine officer candidates, and make you do the PFT a bunch of times. Don't worry about it. It sounds to me like you know where you need to get; now the OSO is gonna do his job. If anything it can be a good workout.

I'd take a proactive approach and tell him when you'll be ready to take it and what you're doing to get there. . . Semper Fi

grouch

It is almost a shame I will be a squid. I won't be able to watch Tessone's daily defense in the much deserved assalt he will be subjected to. There was a guy I knew in school that wore a beret. What a fag, and he knew it too. He said it was an english ridding cap. Like it makes a difference. It is funny to know that there are more of them out there.

This is what you asked for, United States Marine Corps!

Status
Not open for further replies.