• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PCS vs Home of Record Move?

USSRyan

Any experts in PCS vs Home of Record move?
I graduated from OCS and got an order to Supply School across the bridge. I am authorized to do PCS move from my home of record to Supply School.
Is this a home of record move or just a regular PCS move? What is the difference? I spoke to people in the moving office and they told me that if I don’t use this move it is going to expire once my next order come in. Is this order separate from the Home of record or this is it?
(p.s: I saw the older threat about the PCS move but it didn't answer my question.)

R/

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Home of record is a one time move that allows you to bring your crap from your home before OCS, whereever that may be. That way you can have all the toys and stuffed animals you had as a kid and the Navy pays to move them to you.

Once you PCS to your first non-accession command, the HOR move goes away.

The difference is that the HOR record move moves stuff from some other location to where you are going but a PCS moves your stuff from where you are now to where you are going.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
No. A HOR move is for getting out of the Navy. It authorizes you to move your stuff from your duty station to your HOR, since you won't have PCS orders to go home when you resign. If you decide to move a distance further than than your HOR, you have to pay the difference. You get to execute this move once. People sometimes use it before getting out for various reasons.

Your first PCS move is a PCS with orders from your NRD to your first duty station. HHG uses your street address wherever you are stationed, it just happens that you were originally "stationed" at your NRD living in your HOR. You should not use your HOR move here. Yes there is a timiline for when you can move your HHG in a PCS move, which is why you were told it can expire.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
No. A HOR move is for getting out of the Navy. It authorizes you to move your stuff from your duty station to your HOR, since you won't have PCS orders to go home when you resign. If you decide to move a distance further than than your HOR, you have to pay the difference. You get to execute this move once. People sometimes use it before getting out for various reasons.

Your first PCS move is a PCS with orders from your NRD to your first duty station. HHG uses your street address wherever you are stationed, it just happens that you were originally "stationed" at your NRD living in your HOR. You should not use your HOR move here. Yes there is a timiline for when you can move your HHG in a PCS move, which is why you were told it can expire.

Pretty sure you get a HOR move when you come into the military and one when you get out (if you retire).

helo_wifey

We did a HOR move after our first overseas tour. My husband had a lot of stuff still at his parents house that was going to be expensive to move ourselves so we just used it to get all of our crap in one spot.

You can use it at any time, but you just get 1.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Yea, sorry misinformation in my original posting in this thread:

The HOR move is to move goods from your HOR to another, different HOR. It is used in the event you leave furniture behind at your HOR and want to retrieve it later (usually when you exit the service, but not always). An example would be if you left a grandfather clock that you didn't want to lug around for several years, but now you want to finally settle somewhere. Another example is if you really like a duty station and want to buy a house there, you can use a HOR move to retrieve items left at your original HOR.

You can execute that move once, and you don't have to use it if you change your HOR on paper.

Your initial move coming into the Navy is a PCS move, as is your final move. Your final move will only be covered up to the distance of your HOR (might be different if you retire). E.g. if your HOR is in Ohio and you want to leave the Navy and move to FL, and you're stationed in CA, you will only get paid to move goods for the distance to Ohio. You are responsible for the remainder costs.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Your home of record never changes (unless might be different if you have broken service) even if you use the HOR move. You can use the HOR move any time to move stuff from where you entered service to wherever you want. It does not expire. My parents have lived in the same house for 30+ years, when they eventually retire and downsize, I would probably use mine at that point to get any furniture they are looking to be free of.

If you retire, you get a PCS move to wherever you retire to, if you separate before 20 years, you only get paid the cost to move back to your HOR.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
That's not true. I can change my HOR by going to psd today. Servicemembers frequently change their HOR to states with no income tax for servicemembers.

djj34

pilot
That's not true. I can change my HOR by going to psd today. Servicemembers frequently change their HOR to states with no income tax for servicemembers.
Home of record =/= state of residency. Your HOR is what you listed when you first joined the military. My home of record is in CA, and I have't lived there in about 4 years. My state of legal residency is FL and I don't pay income taxes, like those who change their address at PSD/CPAC. I'm doing my HOR move at the end of the month and because I don't live there anymore, they are just going to pick everything up at my wife's address, 2 hours from my listed HOR.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
There is so much bad gouge in this thread I don't know where to start. Someone please start posting actual references/sources.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD