• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Paid my "stupid tax" on DITY Moves

draad

I moved 3000lbs from Meridian to San Diego. Cost $1750 for the Uhaul, $950 in gas, and Property claims it would only cost the government $1900 for them to move that amount with a Moving company, thus they're only giving me 95% of that in reimbursement, totaling for a loss of almost a grand and a ton of @$$ pain packing and moving everything myself. Does their claim sound wrong to anyone (could they really pay a moving company that little to move 3000lbs) and should I pursue this?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I did a partial DITY in October from Kingsville to Va Beach. Still waiting to get paid for it, though I should be pulling my expenses plus about 1200 bucks. Your situation doesn't sound right. I'm definitely interested in the outcome though- I'm moving to San Diego in the fall. I don't want to get screwed on cross country moving expenses.

draad

Swanee just go with the partial man. Renting the truck is what screws you, in addition to the fact that you can't include the weight of a towed vehicle (which eats a LOT of gas)

roflsaurus

"Jet" Pilot
pilot
Sir, did you get advanced travel from PSD? When I separated I moved 3000 lbs. also. I want to say personal property gave me like 2200 from Whidbey island to Daytona Beach, but I got advanced travel from PSD for food, gas, and lodging.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
Dude I moved 12,000 lbs from Pensacola to Oklahoma City and barely broke even!

Renegade One

None
When it became too much to pack into my '63 Corvette (Glynco, GA to Miramar, CA)…I always "let George do it!"

Life's too short to try and make the government's job easier. This will be a testable question later on...

ryan1234

I moved 3000lbs from Meridian to San Diego. Cost $1750 for the Uhaul, $950 in gas, and Property claims it would only cost the government $1900 for them to move that amount with a Moving company, thus they're only giving me 95% of that in reimbursement, totaling for a loss of almost a grand and a ton of @$$ pain packing and moving everything myself. Does their claim sound wrong to anyone (could they really pay a moving company that little to move 3000lbs) and should I pursue this?

Had a similar situation... net loss of around $800

I was surprised to say the least...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
how the hell did you guys pay so much for the Uhaul? rates for a penske/budget 26' truck are around 300-400 bucks for my move for a 3 day rental. Granted, it's from Jax to Pcola, but damn? I'm guessing it has something to do with your starting location.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
^^^agreed. Penske always beat the competition by a mile. 6 DITY's total. Man, I'm glad that shit is over...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, you fucked up man. Penske truck quote for the same move...

$773- 22' Penske Diesel truck
$229- Flat Bed car trailer
$823- Diesel (1852 miles at 8 mpg @ 4.00/gallon) This is fairly accurate based on what I've seen...

Uhaul sucks. See this thread.

Your PP entitlement seems screwed up as well though...I would have them verify your entitlement. To give you an idea, I moved about #1000 to Meridian geo-baching and got about $1.40 per pound...divide that by 2700 miles and it's about $0.0005/pound-mile. In your case, multiply that by 1800 miles and 3000 pounds and you get about $2700. 95% of that comes out to $2565. I'd say you got boned.

MasterBates

I made maybe $1500 on my separation move from Norfolk to Wyoming.

On 14,500 pounds.. With my employer paying for fuel lodging and tolls.

DITY moves don't pay what they used to. I only did it because there was no other choice. Moving in December. Renters coming in January. Personal Property gave me a move date of 17 April.

My discharge date was 29 February.

I tried to arrange this in November.

Sent from a van down by the river via Tapatalk

phrogpilot73

Only thing U-Haul is good for is an in-town move. We ended up doing a full DITY (not like the gubment is going to pay to move us to a new house, not in conjunction with PCS orders, just because) even though our plan was to hire movers to move the heavy stuff (my back is still complaining about that decision). Looked at MWR, U-Haul and others for a trailer rental. U-Haul won. PODS worked out OK, but was more expensive then I expected. There are other companies out there that do the same thing PODS does for cheaper. PODS customer service was good though.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Someone did a big survey and realized that the movers were scamming the government out of pay so the powers that be reevaluated all the move pay/allowances. The result was the pay going to the professional movers went down hence the pay going to us for a partial or full DITY went down.

Confirmed that from both the move office and the movers that unpacked my stuff in San Diego.