• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P8 Timeline for NAS Whidbey Island?

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
I did a bit of research here on AW before posting this question, so hopefully I didn't miss this if it has already been asked.

Does anybody know the timeline for getting an actual P8 squadron stood up in Whidbey? I know that they are building the simulator up there. I am currently going through VT-4 and hoping to get selected for P8s sometime this summer. Any information would be appreciated.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VP-4 starts transition in the fall and will be operational in about a year. Another squadron will transition every 6 months from there.

tarjas

Alooo-haaa
None
VP-4 starts transition in the fall and will be operational in about a year. Another squadron will transition every 6 months from there.

Couple of 6 month pauses in there based on aircraft buy rates, interested to see the latest plan at symposium in a few weeks...

Raul B

Any updated info on this? I'm wanting to get to Whidbey and thinking I'll select P-3 in 4 months when I wing so I can, but if I'm top of my class at the FRS for P-8s, will that help me get to Whidbey or are newbies not getting up there yet?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
If you want Whidbey right now, the best avenue is probably P-3s... don't count on getting there as a new P-8 pilot if they need P-8 pilots in Jax (where they currently have more P-8 squadrons).

The transition of individual has experienced several delays over the years (timelines shifting right, squadrons changing order for transition etc.), so there is a chance that you'll upgrade to PPC on the P-3 prior to transition depending on the squadron you're assigned to but it is also more likely that you'll transition mid upgrade.

Something to watch out for- there have been many occasions in recent history of individuals getting hosed career progression wise due to the timing of their transition (preventing advanced quals due to delayed upgrading, folks being rolled prior to transition and early in their tour which prevents decent fitrep ranking)... you may want to think twice before intentionally selecting P-3s knowing that your squadron timing will be likely be disrupted during transition and go P-8s instead even if that means having a smaller chance at getting to Whidbey.

Raul B

Thanks for the solid response Zippy. I was afraid of the latter situation happening based on what I had read. What do you mean by your parentheses statement regarding rolling, upgrading, etc.)?

What confuses me is that they give pilots time to go back to VTs to train for a completely different platform, but would push out someone that's trying to transition different airframe within same community just because of timing.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What confuses me is that they give pilots time to go back to VTs to train for a completely different platform,

Those pilots that do that, do so at their own peril. It's certainly possible to make the transition from one community to another, but if they're timing is a little bit off, they can get hosed as well, and often do.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the solid response Zippy. I was afraid of the latter situation happening based on what I had read. What do you mean by your parentheses statement regarding rolling, upgrading, etc.)?

What confuses me is that they give pilots time to go back to VTs to train for a completely different platform, but would push out someone that's trying to transition different airframe within same community just because of timing.

Example 1) Individual goes to a P-3 squadron that is supposed to transition to P-8s while he's there. Due to shifting in timeline, qualifies as a P-3 PPC but he won't have very much time flying the P-8 after the squadron transitions if he stays so the squadron PCS's him at his 30 month mark in the squadron and 6 months after he qualifies instead of holding him longer so he can get the P-8 qual. Since he's not staying in the squadron for a full tour they don't bother with Mission Commander, FCF quals yet alone IP qual for him.

Example 2) Indivdual goes to a P-3 squadron and qualifies through 2p and then transitions as 2p... 6 month pause in upgrading due to transition then continues to upgrade to PPC in P-8. Due to additional 6 month delay in upgrading doesn't have the time remaining in the squadron post transition to make it worth the squadron investing in advanced quals.

Example 3) Individual upgrades to PPC in a P-3 then goes through the transition. VP-30 doesn't get in qualified PPC in P-8 due to the asassement that he needs additional flights which they are unwilling to provide even though they're the FRS and that's why they exist and he emerges post transition having to do the entire P-8 PPC syllabus because squadron leadership is unwilling to assume the liability of qualifying him PPC right away after a negative VP-30 endorsement. He qualifes P-8 PPC but squadron is not willing to invest in advanced quals due to performance issues during the transition.

The VP community has plenty of JO pilots due to crew manning requirments (30-36 pilots per squadron) so the leaderships in the squadrons feel they can cut their losses on individuals early and still have plenty of remaining pilots that they can groom for successful careers inside the community.

Raul B

Wow, I had heard rumor of cut-throat culture in VP, but didn't know how that could look. This makes it very real. Once again, big thanks Zippy.

I also wanted P-3s for the nostalgia & learning multiple aircraft thinking it would make me a more versatile pilot, but the risk of not progressing is obviously a pretty consequential one.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Wow, I had heard rumor of cut-throat culture in VP, but didn't know how that could look. This makes it very real. Once again, big thanks Zippy.

I also wanted P-3s for the nostalgia & learning multiple aircraft thinking it would make me a more versatile pilot, but the risk of not progressing is obviously a pretty consequential one.
As someone learning to fly decades-old technology, go with the glass jet if given the choice.

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot
Don't get the wrong idea, dude. Yes there are certain risks associated with going to a transitioning squadron, but the P-3 community is not as bloodthirsty as it may sound. Making IP is really competitive under the best of circumstances, but if you're a good dude and a hard worker you're generally taken care of. The only people I see leaving without MC quals are those that had significant problems upgrading. These cases happen, but are the exception.

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
Are advanced quals, IP or MC, required to get flying shore orders these days? Not making IP, going to the VT's, and never setting foot in a VP squadron again was the best thing that ever happened to me.