• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

overnight corrective contact lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

penderwt

yut king
has anyone heard of these contacts that you wear while you sleep, and don't have to wear during the day? if so, do you know of anyone with experience wearing them, and are they DQ'ing for SNAs?? i want to fly bad, and i want to know if PRK is my only option.
it's called CRT (corneal refractive therapy)...anyone know the rules???

Chubby

I've never heard of it, but I'd be really interested. My vision is just about 20/40, so I don't have a whole lot of leeway, and I'll try anything at least once.

jburnes

well i was just reading a webpage on CRT...it seems like just a temporary fix..since if you stop wearing those lenses at night then in 1-3 days your vision returns to what it was before....

but calling NAMI to find out would be interesting...im not going to do it...since i just like to sit around and be lazy, but it would be a good idea for someone with more motivation...

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
during your NAMI exam they check to see if your cornea has been altered via ortho-k/CRT... probably disqualifying.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I would think that since its a procedure that you have to keep doing, theres no way that they could make sure that you keep doing it so it's probably not waiverable, even if it dosent DQ you.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Definitely disqualifying. I remember being told about this when I did my NOMI physical. They took a map of my corneal contours and showed me where my PRK surgery had altered things. Definitely no way to sneak something like that past them.

penderwt

yut king
thanks for all the input y'all, someone wanna work up the balls to call NOMI? I ain't doin' it, i called yesterday to find out about my chances for PRK, and im just an officer candidate, i don't want to annoy 'em.

penderwt

yut king
I spoke with Capt. Anderson, USN, a doc at Pensecola...CRT's a NO-GO.....DON'T GET IT. even if yer a civilian..it comes w/problems...corneal ulcers, infections, etc..CRT sucks, get PRK.

TANGO 1

Contributor
I also called NOMI and spoke with Capt. Anderson. I think he is the best person to talk to when it comes to all this medical questions. I mean basically you get the gist from the horses mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.