• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Overcoming a low GPA?

redfox7777

Are there any current officers on this forum that have been accepted to OCS with a less than 3.0 GPA? I imagine if there are they probably had strong everything else, but simply put can it happen?

exNavyOffRec

Are there any current officers on this forum that have been accepted to OCS with a less than 3.0 GPA? I imagine if there are they probably had strong everything else, but simply put can it happen?

You have asked a question that cannot be answered in its current form, designators are different, how low are you talking, the min GPA has changed for some designators so some here may have been accepted then but now they are below the minimum, some designators look more at ASTB, some look at degree, some were probably accepted that were a once in a blue moon selection.

The search function may answer some of your questions but you need to get more specific to get a realistic answer.

redfox7777

You have asked a question that cannot be answered in its current form, designators are different, how low are you talking, the min GPA has changed for some designators so some here may have been accepted then but now they are below the minimum, some designators look more at ASTB, some look at degree, some were probably accepted that were a once in a blue moon selection.

The search function may answer some of your questions but you need to get more specific to get a realistic answer.

Overall GPA is 2.5, degree is in history. What I am shooting for and in order- Intelligence, SWO, Submarine Officer, Supply, HR.

Igloojam

pilot

With all due respect, if you use the search function for "low Gpa", it returns a search function error. I have 2.8 in a technical field (oceanography/meteorology) and tried searching to no avail.

Overall GPA is 2.5, degree is in history. What I am shooting for and in order- Intelligence, SWO, Submarine Officer, Supply, HR.

Having a 2.5 is real low. Like you met the absolute minimum. I don't know if you've taken the ASTB, but you would have to have some stellar scores to overcome those grades. From what I gather, intel minimum is like a 3.5. If you want to be a submarine officer, you have to have at least B's in phys 1/2 and calc 1/2... I am assuming you didn't take any science courses for your history degree. Being a sub (nuke officer) officer, is extremely difficult. You have to have a technical background for the school. I've heard the school is comparable to getting a degree nuclear engineering..

exNavyOffRec

well, HR doesn't take from OCS, several others have minimum requirements, SWO is now 2.8 I believe a few others have bumped up to at least 2.5

even if you are just above the minimum designators like Intel rarely take anyone less than 3 with their average close to 3.5 Supply is very competitive as well. Your GPA is low that it would be an easy cut.

I would say aviation is the one where you might have a shot since they look heavy on the ASTB.

redfox7777

well, HR doesn't take from OCS, several others have minimum requirements, SWO is now 2.8 I believe a few others have bumped up to at least 2.5

even if you are just above the minimum designators like Intel rarely take anyone less than 3 with their average close to 3.5 Supply is very competitive as well. Your GPA is low that it would be an easy cut.

I would say aviation is the one where you might have a shot since they look heavy on the ASTB.

Does 2.8 mean strictly 2.8, as in it would be a waste for a recruiter to let me even submit a package with anything less?

And I would love to be a pilot, more so actually than anything I listed, but the entrance exam is what concerns me is how to study for the joystick part of the test. And also with my GPA, I want to spend as much time as possible studying to boost my OAR.

exNavyOffRec

Does 2.8 mean strictly 2.8, as in it would be a waste for a recruiter to let me even submit a package with anything less?

And I would love to be a pilot, more so actually than anything I listed, but the entrance exam is what concerns me is how to study for the joystick part of the test. And also with my GPA, I want to spend as much time as possible studying to boost my OAR.

2.8 means the guy with a 2.79 will not be going to board. If a person's GPA is below the minimum it does not meet the requirements for submission.

The OAR helps get you to be seen, but it doesn't overcome a poor GPA, there are many candidates who have both a high OAR and high GPA.

Aviation is the most forgiving when it comes to GPA, as long as the PFAR is good.

redfox7777

Can good recommendation letters and employment history help with my GPA? I graduated in 2014 and have been working in healthcare, not as an RN, but in the industry since I left college.

exNavyOffRec

Can good recommendation letters and employment history help with my GPA? I graduated in 2014 and have been working in healthcare, not as an RN, but in the industry since I left college.

not really, they barely look at LOR's.

I think except for aviation most have indeed raised the minimum GPA to at least 2.5 but rarely does a designator pick anyone at the minimum GPA, if your GPA is any less than 2.5 your only chance is aviation.

navythom

Hello AW community, I've been trolling this forum and the information I have seen has been beyond helpful in answering my questions. I have been looking at the stats of those that got Pro Rec-Y but was hoping I could post my stats and get an idea of where I stand.

I'm aspiring to become a Supply Officer and my major is in Business Administration with a minor in Organizational Development. When I began college after AD I was doing great in my school work but time went on and I didn't know what my career goals were and I ran into some life trouble, so now I'll be graduating with a 2.8 GPA. I was able to get an LOR from 2 AVP's at the credit union I work for, it's a small CU so they have seen my work first hand, as well as my immediate manager. I also have around 45 community service hours in the last year, and an LOR from my supervisor at the boys home where I volunteer. I haven't taken the OAR yet but if it's anything like the SATs I'm almost certain I can walk away with a 50. Would I be wasting my time submitting my kit with such a low GPA? I also read that there would be a credit report ran, while this perfectly understandable since Suppo can be in charge of large amounts of money, my credit score is a 600, I don't have any large debts just old stuff I paid off and working to build my credit and my debt-to-income is less than 50%. Would having a low credit score effect my chances? Any responses would be greatly appreciated, and I thank you for your time in reading my post.

Igloojam

pilot
Hello AW community, I've been trolling this forum and the information I have seen has been beyond helpful in answering my questions. I have been looking at the stats of those that got Pro Rec-Y but was hoping I could post my stats and get an idea of where I stand.

I'm aspiring to become a Supply Officer and my major is in Business Administration with a minor in Organizational Development. When I began college after AD I was doing great in my school work but time went on and I didn't know what my career goals were and I ran into some life trouble, so now I'll be graduating with a 2.8 GPA. I was able to get an LOR from 2 AVP's at the credit union I work for, it's a small CU so they have seen my work first hand, as well as my immediate manager. I also have around 45 community service hours in the last year, and an LOR from my supervisor at the boys home where I volunteer. I haven't taken the OAR yet but if it's anything like the SATs I'm almost certain I can walk away with a 50. Would I be wasting my time submitting my kit with such a low GPA? I also read that there would be a credit report ran, while this perfectly understandable since Suppo can be in charge of large amounts of money, my credit score is a 600, I don't have any large debts just old stuff I paid off and working to build my credit and my debt-to-income is less than 50%. Would having a low credit score effect my chances? Any responses would be greatly appreciated, and I thank you for your time in reading my post.

Check it out man...

1) You don't know if you'll be selected until you apply.
2) You don't know your score until you take the test.

The effort you put into your application, regardless of outcome, will not be in vain. If anything, the application process will force you to focus on your personal development and long term goals.

I had a 2.8 as well. I too was enlisted(reserves). My OAR was a 60. I was selected to be a pilot. I don't know how competitive the supply boards are.

Your credit score will only impact your security clearance SF 86... also there is a difference between little credit history and poor credit history.

Were you prior?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Have you talked to your OR about this?

navythom

Have you talked to your OR about this?

I've tried talking to my OR on various occasions and he's been very helpful when I can reach him, but I feel he may be focusing his energy on applicants who have already graduated, which is understandable. What he has told me is to work on getting my GPA higher to be more competitive. I've still got about 8 months before I graduate, but I'm thinking of taking some classes in Supply chain management since I don't have any experience in supply/logistics. Would this help any?

navythom

Check it out man...

1) You don't know if you'll be selected until you apply.
2) You don't know your score until you take the test.

The effort you put into your application, regardless of outcome, will not be in vain. If anything, the application process will force you to focus on your personal development and long term goals.

I had a 2.8 as well. I too was enlisted(reserves). My OAR was a 60. I was selected to be a pilot. I don't know how competitive the supply boards are.

Your credit score will only impact your security clearance SF 86... also there is a difference between little credit history and poor credit history.

Were you prior?

This is absolutely true and regardless of where my GPA falls at the end I will submit a kit since this is something I really want. I like what you said about the process forcing me to focus on personal development. Since I decided this is what I want over a year ago, I've doing a lot more to develop my self including the volunteer work which I've never done before. Yeah I was prior active and did 4 years, I was an average sailor and walked away with a flag LOC but certainly didn't have the drive or focus I have now. My credit history has some blemishes from when I was young but I've been working in banking for the last 3 years so I've gotten my finances in order just doing damage control at this point.