• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Oops...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
'Friendly fire' destroys Belgian warplane at base

FA-128.jpg

HuggyU2

None
Reserve Captain Dorsey?

The F-4 pilot went through our PIT squadron for a T-38 instructor checkout ~’95. Told the story one night in the bar. Amazing.

He was pretty jacked up from the ejection, and I heard years later his injured were not being kind to him.

The fact that the post-shoot down cover up and subsequent investigation went the way it did was quite an indictment on the leadership involved, in my opinion.

Renegade One

None
The Admiral’s F-14 pilot son that shot down the USAF F-4?
No. The '88 NIM incident was an A-7 being downloaded of 20MM during NX maintenance in a TOW spot up on the starboard side of the forward flight deck. Won't go into details, but gun inadvertently fired about 7 rounds directly into fully loaded tanker-configured A-6, starting a huge flight deck fire. Two fatalities. Numerous strike aircraft. Some pushed over the side, some hangared for post-cruise offload. Bad night.

exNavyOffRec

No. The '88 NIM incident was an A-7 being downloaded of 20MM during NX maintenance in a TOW spot up on the starboard side of the forward flight deck. Won't go into details, but gun inadvertently fired about 7 rounds directly into fully loaded tanker-configured A-6, starting a huge flight deck fire. Two fatalities. Numerous strike aircraft. Some pushed over the side, some hangared for post-cruise offload. Bad night.

I arrived to the Nimitz a while later and many of the people I worked with/for were there when it happened and said the 1MC announcements were like they had never heard before.

I am guessing you were there during that time.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
The fact that the post-shoot down cover up and subsequent investigation went the way it did was quite an indictment on the leadership involved, in my opinion.
Not to mention the fact that the cheeseball was allowed to serve in the Reserve and was nearly promoted to O7/RDML.