• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

One Sexy Scooter....VA-55 Warhorse 500 is done...A-4 tribute build

Citation3

This model was built as a tribute to all you old school Scooter drivers.

Thanks to all of you that followed the build of this model in the War Zone forum. Also, thanks to A4sForever for recommending this squadron.

This A-4F model depicts Warhorse 500 as it was painted around 69' or 70'. I didn't have the additional ordnance to do a fully loaded jet so she was built nice and clean. I did however add a bit of gun residue to give it a bit of action.

Anyway, here she is. I hope all you Scooter guys like it.

DSC_0765.jpg

DSC_0758.jpg

DSC_0770.jpg

DSC_0750.jpg

DSC_0749.jpg

DSC_0772.jpg

DSC_0741.jpg

DSC_0774.jpg

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
Wow awesome detail, how long did that take you to complete? I used to build models when I was younger and loved it but nothing of this caliber.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Super Job!

It is truly an awesome model!!! Well done.:)+1

BzB... elderly, ancient ex-VA-55 "WarHorse"

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
That is really amazing detail. If I were a former A4 driver I would certainly make you an offer...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Absolutely a great job -- we're starting to expect that from you. Some constructive criticism/suggestion(s) ???

DSC_0774.jpg

The belly is WA-A-A-A-A-A-AY too clean!!! The Scooter was a notorious P&W 'leaker' in all engine Mods and the belly was usually very, very dirty from the constant oil and hydraulic 'leaks & drips' in/around the main mount wells AND basically everywhere aft of the centerline store attaching point. The 'Hell-Hole' -- that hinged door just aft of the wing and forward of the hook attachment point was also always VERY dirty -- there was a reason why it was called 'Hell' ... :) ... VERY hot & 'drippy', but you still had to 'go there'.

The shell-chutes were also 'sootier' for obvious reasons ... and I really don't remember ever seeing a bird w/ the boards 'open' on the ramp or deck unless there was a MX problem w/it or it had not been flown for a long, long time.

dallasadversary005.tif

photo by A4sForever

You already mentioned the zinc chromate .... :)

Still -- an OUTSTANDING job -- this stuff is nitpicking.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Absolutely a great job --
The belly is WA-A-A-A-A-A-AY too clean!!! The Scooter was a notorious P&W 'leaker' in all engine Mods and the belly was usually very, very dirty from the constant oil and hydraulic 'leaks & drips' in/around the main mount wells AND basically everywhere aft of the centerline store attaching point. The 'Hell-Hole' -- that hinged door just aft of the wing and forward of the hook attachment point was also always VERY dirty -- there was a reason why it was called 'Hell' ... :) ... VERY hot & 'drippy', but you still had to 'go there'.

The shell-chutes were also 'sootier' for obvious reasons ... and I really don't remember ever seeing a bird w/ the boards 'open' on the ramp unless there was a MX problem w/it or it had not been flown for a long, long time.

BZ!

VF-126lineup1.jpg

HJ image (when TOPGUN and VF-126 had A-4s galore at Miramar)

TOPGUNA-4lineupatNellis.jpg

HJ image - TOPGUN scooters at Nellis during annual USN/USAF Fighter Weapons School get together

A-4lineup.jpg

HJ image - Last mass gaggle launch of VF-43 A4s start their engines before disestablishment

Citation3

Thanks for the constructive critisism. I'm glad you like it.

I have not been able to find any good pictures of the underside to use as a reference. I think my best option, next time, will be to make a slurry of DOT 3 brake fluid, zinc chromate paint, and a hand full of dirt. Then I will just pour it over the completed model and then gingerly rub it in to the paint and call it done. I guess they can never be beat up or dirty enough.

Absolutely a great job -- we're starting to expect that from you. Some constructive criticism/suggestion(s) ???

The shell-chutes were also 'sootier' for obvious reasons ... and I really don't remember ever seeing a bird w/ the boards 'open' on the ramp unless there was a MX problem w/it or it had not been flown for a long, long time.

photo by A4sForever

You already mentioned the zinc .... :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...I have not been able to find any good pictures of the underside to use as a reference...

Roger that; they're not too readily available. I've got some taken airborne, but I'll have to dig to find them.

Here's a 'partial' belly shot of the same bird (in the post above) that shows a little more 'grunge' on the belly ... please note the relatively heavy grease 'stripes' coming back from the L/E aerodynamic slat tracks ... those slat tracks were HEAVILY greased to facilitate freedom of movement when the speed was 'right' ... and if that didn't work -- we'd just bend 'em some more on preflight until they were free(er) and you're good to go ... :)

ALSO ... another reason the belly was such a dirt-catcher was the proximity of the 'wet', leaky areas to the burned rubber/dirt 'puff' that would be manufactured by the tires & runway meeting at @ 135 +/- KIAS after every landing/touch & go ...

a402.jpg

photo by A4sForever

Sometimes the only way to get the birds 'clean' was to run 'em through the steam bath ...

skyhawksteambath.jpg

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A favorite of mine....lots of Scooters images in here.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
When I get back from Korea, I'm going to pay you to build a few models for me!!