• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN OLF Wolf & Silverhill

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Like many government plans, I get the impression this is has been on the books for a while. Anyone else think it's being dredged up as a demon of convenience?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
If the image at the top of the article is accurate I wouldn’t call it “austere.” I’ve been to Boy Scout camps that were worse than something like that.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Like many government plans, I get the impression this is has been on the books for a while. Anyone else think it's being dredged up as a demon of convenience?

Probably a long term FEMA shelter?

FWIW we've done this in the past. Camp Talega on the north end of Camp Pendleton was used to house all of the refugees fleeing the Vietnam war before they went elsewhere.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Probably a long term FEMA shelter?

FWIW we've done this in the past.
Saufley OLF got turned into a FEMA town after Hurricane Ivan in late 2004. Rows and rows of trailer homes for people displaced by the hurricane. Saufley and Holley both got ginormous piles of hurricane debris then too. Not sure when the last T-34 used either of those fields but it was definitely not after that.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Saufley OLF got turned into a FEMA town after Hurricane Ivan in late 2004. Rows and rows of trailer homes for people displaced by the hurricane. Saufley and Holley both got ginormous piles of hurricane debris then too. Not sure when the last T-34 used either of those fields but it was definitely not after that.
Must have been pre-Ivan unless they opened it up post-2006. I had to learn the course rules, but never soloed until after the hurricane. At that point, we all went to Barin.