• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ODS for CEC with a PhD?

DRMJR

Hi All,

Waiting to hear back from an officer recruiter (spoke to one from Navy.com; they sent me an email back saying I'm eligible and will receive a call from a recruiter in the next few days) but in the meantime I figured I'd ask around and see if anyone out there knows someone with the same entry point as my own intended one. I have a BS and PhD in Civil Engineering. From the Navy website it seems as though certain "degreed professionals" with experience/education may be offered a direct appointment and go on to attend ODS (instead of OCS) then CECOS. I have my EIT, but not my PE (eligible for that next spring).

Thanks!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi All,

Waiting to hear back from an officer recruiter (spoke to one from Navy.com; they sent me an email back saying I'm eligible and will receive a call from a recruiter in the next few days) but in the meantime I figured I'd ask around and see if anyone out there knows someone with the same entry point as my own intended one. I have a BS and PhD in Civil Engineering. From the Navy website it seems as though certain "degreed professionals" with experience/education may be offered a direct appointment and go on to attend ODS (instead of OCS) then CECOS. I have my EIT, but not my PE (eligible for that next spring).

Thanks!

Are you interested in Active Duty (full time) or Reserve (part time)?

DRMJR

https://www.navy.com/joining/ways-to-join/never-served#ft-entrance-programs

Look under "Officer Programs" -> "Programs for Degreed Professionals" and "General Career Focus Areas for Officers"

I haven't found ANYTHING, but I guess there just aren't that many CECs who've gotten their PhD before joining.

My phone up and permanently died on me yesterday afternoon, but I was able to check my voicemail via google voice. A recruiter called me back. Just need a phone so I can reach out!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Active Duty if possible.

The answer is no. Everyone, whether they have a BS or PhD enter the same training pipeline for OCS. A few years back I put in a CEC with an MS and she too went OCS route before commissioning. There have been some Intel selectees who had JDs and PhDs and same thing they all go to OCS. Otherwise, having someone "take the shortcut" might not set a good impression when he/she checks into their first command even though they have a PhD.

Also, you're 35 and you just missed the cut off. Per the Program Authorization, there are "case by case" waivers for folks between 35-42. I would mention that to your recruiter first to see if a waiver will be entertained. Assuming you already have a PE (or close to it) and a PhD, I can see the community approving an age waiver but no guarantees.

DRMJR

The answer is no. Everyone, whether they have a BS or PhD enter the same training pipeline for OCS. A few years back I put in a CEC with an MS and she too went OCS route before commissioning. There have been some Intel selectees who had JDs and PhDs and same thing they all go to OCS. Otherwise, having someone "take the shortcut" might not set a good impression when he/she checks into their first command even though they have a PhD.

Also, you're 35 and you just missed the cut off. Per the Program Authorization, there are "case by case" waivers for folks between 35-42. I would mention that to your recruiter first to see if a waiver will be entertained. Assuming you already have a PE (or close to it) and a PhD, I can see the community approving an age waiver but no guarantees.

Two follow-ups, if I may, due to the confusing language on the Navy website.

1) I'm not saying you are incorrect, however the language on the site may be misleading to outsiders. Two quotes that stand out: a) "If you’re a qualifying degreed professional or a graduate who possesses leadership skills and determination, you may be eligible to become an Officer in the Navy through the Direct Appointment Program. Officer Development School (ODS) is the required step before taking on your first assignment as a Commissioned Officer." b) "Direct Appointment is available to U.S. citizens with professional expertise in the following fields: ... Civil Engineering..."

2) "To serve as an Officer, you must be no older than 35 but at least 19 years old depending on the program desired..." "No older," to me, signifies 35 and below. If I were to complete OCS and receive commissioning before turning 36 (in May 2018), it seems as though a waiver may not be needed.

I appreciate your candor and advice. This sort of conversation would be a good case study for the Navy HR folks to help update the Navy website with more explicit language.

EDIT: I understand your point about "taking a shortcut." My confusion (aside from the website language I quoted) lies with the designation of CEC as "Staff Corps" while also attending OCS. I'm assuming that taking command of some 400 Seabees may be part of the reason.

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Two follow-ups, if I may, due to the confusing language on the Navy website.

1) I'm not saying you are incorrect, however the language on the site may be misleading to outsiders. Two quotes that stand out: a) "If you’re a qualifying degreed professional or a graduate who possesses leadership skills and determination, you may be eligible to become an Officer in the Navy through the Direct Appointment Program. Officer Development School (ODS) is the required step before taking on your first assignment as a Commissioned Officer." b) "Direct Appointment is available to U.S. citizens with professional expertise in the following fields: ... Civil Engineering..."

2) "To serve as an Officer, you must be no older than 35 but at least 19 years old depending on the program desired..." "No older," to me, signifies 35 and below. If I were to complete OCS and receive commissioning before turning 36 (in May 2018), it seems as though a waiver may not be needed.

I appreciate your candor and advice. This sort of conversation would be a good case study for the Navy HR folks to help update the Navy website with more explicit language.

EDIT: I understand your point about "taking a shortcut." My confusion (aside from the website language I quoted) lies with the designation of CEC as "Staff Corps" while also attending OCS. I'm assuming that taking command of some 400 Seabees may be part of the reason.

1. The navy.com website is often at times either inaccurate, misinterpreted, or simply outdated. The only individuals who attend ODS are doctors (like MDs and Dentists, etc.), Dentists, Nurses, other Medical Service Corps, Chaplains, JAGs, and Nuclear Engineers/Instructors.

2. The age cut off for commissioning has always been prior to the respective age. So if the max age is 35, that individual needs to commission (finish OCS or straight up commission) prior to their 35th birthday. There have been folks who missed the cut off by days because they weren't able to finish OCS or commission before their birthday. It's always been that way and for every program out there. Being that you haven't commissioned prior to your 35th birthday you will need an age waiver.

The navy.com website and NPC commissioning programs page (for enlisted personnel) issues have been addressed and being worked on. How long will that take? Who knows...

SHoward

LT, CEC, USN
All active-duty CEC go thru OCS. Graduate education doesn't change that unfortunately. I have a masters, turned 35 at OCS, and am at CECOS now. My CEC Assessions Officer (had a doctorate and also went to OCS) told me that all CEC candidates when selected by the board automatically get age waivers, so I didn't have to do anything else. When you do your interview with the Assession Officer for your application, you can address your age to see if anything has changed regarding the waiver since last year.

exNavyOffRec

All active-duty CEC go thru OCS. Graduate education doesn't change that unfortunately. I have a masters, turned 35 at OCS, and am at CECOS now. My CEC Assessions Officer (had a doctorate and also went to OCS) told me that all CEC candidates when selected by the board automatically get age waivers, so I didn't have to do anything else. When you do your interview with the Assession Officer for your application, you can address your age to see if anything has changed regarding the waiver since last year.

It can very depending on who is doing the board, one of my counterparts had a candidate who was over the age limit and they wouldn't even interview him, what he was told was there are plenty of people with just as good backgrounds who do meet the age limit.