• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS package...who to ask for references?

skiptomahlouie

I'm trying to prepare my OCS package but i'm having trouble with the references part. Who should I ask? I want to ask my professors but i don't really have a close relationship with them? and does it matter who the reference is from? Is more weight given to a certain type of person (say like a military officer as opposed to a professor)?

rjmayer

If you go to a big school like I do, your professors probably won't know you, at least not until the graduate level. Honestly, if they know me by name it's because i'm screwing up and i have to go talk to them all the time. I did have a good working relationship with two professors because of semester projects. I requested references from them and it turns out that one of them had a father that was a Marine Officer and she was more than willing to help. I feel that my best reference came from my employer since I was an assistant supervisor, which shows leadership. I also had a manager who was prior enlisted write one.

jhawley

I'm trying to prepare my OCS package but i'm having trouble with the references part. Who should I ask? I want to ask my professors but i don't really have a close relationship with them? and does it matter who the reference is from? Is more weight given to a certain type of person (say like a military officer as opposed to a professor)?

I was told by my recruiter to get people who know me on a personal level, and to stay away from people who dont. He said that if I was to go with people with big titles like retired military personnel, but those people dont know me, it wouldnt have as much as an effect. As a result I went with a high school lacrosse coach, past employers, and long term family friends. I didnt have one military retiree in my refs and I got selected.

jhawley

However, Im sure if you have a person who has known you personally for a long time and also has a big title like a retired admiral, that would probably be a good one to pick.

le lyon

NFO BDCP'er
See if your recruiter can get you some interviews with a few senior officers who are in your field of interest. I interviewed with a couple (one former Naval Aviator, now head of the ROTC unit at my school). I think this goes a long way in sprucing up your package.

jtmedli

pilot
Here are mine:

Colonel of my ROTC detachment at school
Captain of " " "
Flight Instructor
My Manager at Work
Church Pastor (I am actively involved)
Professor that Does Know Me (elec eng is a small department)

Hope that helps a little!!

acwildcat

pilot
I interviewed with the CO and XO of my schools NROTC unit. I just walked in and told the desk guy I needed some references and asked if it would be possible to interview with the CO and XO and he set up the meetings. Those were the only two references I used and I got my Pro-Rec

skiptomahlouie

I interviewed with the CO and XO of my schools NROTC unit. I just walked in and told the desk guy I needed some references and asked if it would be possible to interview with the CO and XO and he set up the meetings. Those were the only two references I used and I got my Pro-Rec

Only 2?? My OSO said I needed 5 references. Does it vary for each region or do they just pick the best 2 out of 5?

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
From the looks of it, acwildcat is doing BDCP with the Navy and you are applying to the Marine Corps.

When I talked to my Marine OSO I was told I needed five recommendations. Preferably, 2 from my professors, 2 character references(I will be using my old junior hockey coaches, one of whom had a 28-year active duty career in the Marine Corps) and one from the Dean of my school(small liberal arts college). Take this with a grain of salt as I don't have the exact list with me. Hopefully, that can give you some direction.

acwildcat

pilot
I did get my Pro-Rec for BDCP I'm sorry I guess I missed the part about Marine Corps. I was looking into PLC for Marine Corps and I used 3 of my past managers from various jobs, my Godfather who was a gunny in the Corps, and I believe the 5th was a counselor in High School

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If you doubt whether to ask someone for a reference, probably better not ask them. If you're socially awkward, either way ask someone and they'll let you know whether it's appropriate.

I personally asked two professors, one of whom I'd had personally, to sit down with me one on one and talk to me about their professional military careers. I asked them questions and they talked to me about their experiences with Naval Aviation. At the end I thanked them for their time and politely asked if they'd write a reference, at the very least documenting our meeting and their impressions. They were happy to oblige (which I'm sure is standard for any university professor) and they wrote me two letters.

Those were the only military letters I had (other than my recruiter's statement).

DO NOT feel as if you need some "high ranking" person to write you a letter. Your pastor or highschool sports coach will do just as well or better if they KNOW YOU and write you a glowing letter than some Col. you met once or a senator who knows you as a name on paper.

Good luck!

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
DO NOT feel as if you need some "high ranking" person to write you a letter. Your pastor or highschool sports coach will do just as well or better if they KNOW YOU and write you a glowing letter than some Col. you met once or a senator who knows you as a name on paper.

Good luck!
+1 on that. I had 4 or 5 people. One friend of mine was enlisted in the Air Force for a few years but that's it. They all knew me very well and I knew would speak highly of me. If you happen to be buds with guys with stars on their collars, awesome, use them, but it means more when someone can vouch for your character from years of personal experience, even if it's the neighbors across the street who you always mowed their lawn growing up for.

AgNRS08

My OSO specifically told me he had no interest in talking to my references personally, he just wanted to see that people would vouch for my character. One of the required 5 was the dean of my department (College of Agriculture, Texas A&M) whom I had never previously met personaly. I never did even meet the dean, my form was handled by his secretary and my OSO was perfectly fine with that. I also used two professors I knew fairly well and one, a retired USMC Colonel, whom I had taken a class with but did not know well. My last one was from my supervisor at work. The only part my OSO was picky about was that each reference wrote in a few thoughs at the bottom of the page.

eyes2theskies

Hungry for Flight
Through six degrees of separation, anyone can find any prestigious, high muckety muck person they want to write a Letter of Recommendation for them.
While off-the-cuff networking and BS-ing may come in handy in the future, it doesn't sound like the Navy's too concerned with those qualities during the selection process itself.

I am repeatedly told the same thing:
It's better a letter comes from someone who actually knows you, and has for quite some time. It just holds more weight. Go for max tonnage.

...btw, I haven't yet turned in my package, let alone been accepted. This is mix of opinion and Navy OR speak only.