• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS as Prior-Enlisted

dmcminn09

Is life at OCS any different for prior enlisted members than civilians? I'm currently E-6 and was wondering if that will have any impact on job placement/treatment within my OCS class? I know I have to bring my medals/ribbons/warfare devices but should I leave the crows at home?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I went as a 1st Class as well. You'll be treated the same as everyone else, but you'll have some perspective and experience that may make the entire experience somewhat less painful. Just play the game and you'll do fine. Leave your crows at home, you won't be needing those anymore. :)

dmcminn09

Alright thanks for the advice! Not looking forward to practically going through boot camp again but so looking forward to the overall experience of being commissioned!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's definitely more intense than boot camp, so be prepared for that mentally, but it's all worth the prize at the end.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Alright thanks for the advice! Not looking forward to practically going through boot camp again but so looking forward to the overall experience of being commissioned!

On top of what Brett said, if you do a search around here you can find plenty of information oh how prior service members prepared and ensured OCS.

Bluecore

Prior enlisted are looked at to mentor people who have no military experience. Act the same way you expected a brand new DivO to act when they got to the fleet. That is, don't act like your shit doesn't stink, or like you know it all, but also don't hesitate to correct people. More than a few prior enlisted in our class and for that matter the entire regiment, didn't understand the idea that it is possible to be helpful and even firm without being an ass about it. And of course their excuse was always, "WELL THAT'S HOW IT IS IN THE FLEET SO..." Bull crap.

dmcminn09

Prior enlisted are looked at to mentor people who have no military experience. Act the same way you expected a brand new DivO to act when they got to the fleet. That is, don't act like your shit doesn't stink, or like you know it all, but also don't hesitate to correct people. More than a few prior enlisted in our class and for that matter the entire regiment, didn't understand the idea that it is possible to be helpful and even firm without being an ass about it. And of course their excuse was always, "WELL THAT'S HOW IT IS IN THE FLEET SO..." Bull crap.
I couldn't agree more! That's only how it is in the fleet for crummy leaders. I'm actually looking forward to being able to help the candidates new to the Navy with the experience that I've gained thus far.