• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCC 223

Cougars15

I figured I would get this started up.
I didn't do so hot on my ASTB so I won't be able to get an NFO contract in time.
(Eyes are too bad for Pilot-Scores: 4/1/3; I may retake it later but for now its on hold)
So instead, I'm going to try to contract as Ground. Is anyone in the same boat?

Also, does anyone know when the board will meet and when the results will be issued?
And additionally, does anyone know how many males and females are predicted to be selected as well as the typically average PFT scores for those selected as well as weights given to academics, athletics, and leadership during the application process.

To give some background on myself, here are my STATS as they are now (I'm still working on my PFT)
College GPA: 3.3
Major(s): English & Secondary Education
Involvement: Running Club, Theater Troupe (Writer), Film Making Club (Founder & President)
Leadership: Film Making Club (Founder & President)

Last PFT: 222/300
FAH-42 sec
Crunches-100
Run-26:54

cofranc736

I hope to be on the OCC 223 board as well. The only thing standing in my way is a moral waiver that needs to be passed and also going to NAMI at NAS Pensacola next month and (hopefully) pass my flight physical as I am going for a SNA contract.

I spoke with the Captain in charge of my OSO and she told me she thinks the OCC 223 board will convene in July.

My basic stats are:
GPA: 3.8
Major: International Business w/minor in German
ASTB: 4/6/5
PFT: 283

Good morning ladies and gentlemen,

Just got pre-selected for OCC 223. Went before the board last week and was hoping to get selected for OCC 222 but no dice. Just ran over some statistics with my OSO and it looks like most air contracts are "pre-selected" for the class after the next. At least for the 6th Marine Corps District.

Board | Application Deadline | Board Convenes | OCS Class
FY17 board 1 | 22 Apr 2016 | 20 Jun 2016 | OCC 223
FY17 board 2 | 15 Jul 2016 | 17 Oct 2016 | OCC 224
FY17 board 3 | 9 Dec 2016 | 6 Mar 2017 | OCC 225

Source: MCBUL 1040 FISCAL YEAR 2017 (FY17) MECEP, ECP, RECP AND MCP-R SELECTION BOARDS

Respectfully,
Candidate Svidesskis

Last edited:

cofranc736

Hmm, could you explain the pre-select a little bit more please? My OSO CO told me that I would be eligible for the july 15th board with an OCC shipment date in September (so she thought). If I am reading what you posted correctly, if I go in front of the FY17 board 2 on July 15th, I will only be "pre-selected" and won't be eligible to go to OCC until March 6 (the class after the next)?

Piposterous

"The road to success is always under construction"
pilot
Pre-select means that go up on a board and instead of getting selected for the next OCS class, you get "pre-selected" for the following class. For example, there were many candidates on here that applied for the 2015 July selection board OCC 220 and instead of getting selected to ship off to OCS in September, they were "pre-selected" for the January OCS class.

I am in line for the OCC 223 board as well. It's been a long road so I'm looking forward to hopefully and finally get my name on a selection board. Last year the July selection board was held in mid/late July and results came out around 28 July. For those that got selected on that July board, their report date to OCS was 20 September.

D'Arnot

I figured I would get this started up.
I didn't do so hot on my ASTB so I won't be able to get an NFO contract in time.
(Eyes are too bad for Pilot-Scores: 4/1/3; I may retake it later but for now its on hold)
So instead, I'm going to try to contract as Ground. Is anyone in the same boat?

Also, does anyone know when the board will meet and when the results will be issued?
And additionally, does anyone know how many males and females are predicted to be selected as well as the typically average PFT scores for those selected as well as weights given to academics, athletics, and leadership during the application process.

To give some background on myself, here are my STATS as they are now (I'm still working on my PFT)
College GPA: 3.3
Major(s): English & Secondary Education
Involvement: Running Club, Theater Troupe (Writer), Film Making Club (Founder & President)
Leadership: Film Making Club (Founder & President)

Last PFT: 222/300
FAH-42 sec
Crunches-100
Run-26:54

For OCC 221 we had 5 selected all male, 1 was DOR, 2 caught pneumonia, and 2 graduated, and as of today are in TBS.
For OCC 222 we had 8 selected including myself, 3 female, 5 male.

Background for me, packet started January 4th, finished January 15th, Sworn in/contracted Feb, Accepted Mar 26th.

College GPA: 3.0
Major: Management Information Systems (2014)
Involvement: Hundreds of hours of volunteering, sports and leadership in college, other things as well
Waivers: None

Last PFTs: 288,288,288,289,292, 294( I ran it maybe 1-2 times a week)
20 Pull Ups
100 Crunches
18:56 run

The females who made it ran between 288 and 295, scores suffered the most from the running. During our PFTs the girls were encouraged to do pull ups, eventually when the boards got closer they maxed out their free arm hang, and during mini OCS they also did quite well.

I would say the average is not a very good measure unless you know what contract you are going for. For me, ground, I had the highest PFT score in the region at 294, the next being 288. From experience most people go ground so it is pretty competitive, so better than average is best. For air, I believe the average was 283 and for law he was selected in Feb at 279 or lower I believe.

I had very good letters of recommendation and I still volunteer quite a bit, I don't know if that helped, but it didn't hurt. I thought my GPA would hurt me the most, and I was under the assumption, since it was my first application I wouldn't get selected, but I was ranked very high in our OSO and during the boards.

• Improve your PFT dramatically, that is the first thing they look for in a candidate; our OSO won't submit packets where candidates are under 245. For me the pulls Ups and crunches are a free 200 points so start there. I breathe every 3 steps for running and its gets me on a pretty good pace. If you can secure a 70sec FAH and 100 crunches, the run time is your flex score.
  • Volunteer, even if its once a month, it looks good. The library in my area has volunteering for 6th month blocks, also churches are good as well as soup/ food banks. The VA is also a very good option.
  • I don't know if your OSO does weekly PT sessions. Ours has them Mon/Weds/Fri at 0600-0700 led by candidates. If yours doesn't, maybe you can start one and then each week a candidate can make up an exercise; nothing exhaustive, but enough where you get to know each other and you learn what its like to be in a unit and work together.
  • Do not get waivers, and get your packet in as fast as possible if its not already in, it shows dedication and initiative.
  • Some OSO's run mini OCS, a 3 day event held usually on a base where they get Sergeant Instructors who may be at OCC. It's a great way to show your OSO/OSA you are dedicated. There will be opportunities at these events to showcase leadership.(do not get a light duty belt there, even if you are injured.)
  • Visit your OSO/OSA as much as you can. I don't know how many candidates never go in but it is staggering. Ask for book recommendations, ask them about their MOS, why they joined, if they have a family what is it like for them. Give them the best "you" If you make time for them they will notice and you can rank higher among other candidates. Educate yourself on Marine Corps history and ask them about it.

Best of Luck with the boards.

Piposterous

pilot
Got the call from my OSO today that I am NAMI Approved. Package is complete for the OCC 223 board.

Good luck to everyone.

Slick_Trix

Im shooting for the June boards as well, just got back from NAMI a couple weeks ago. I believe I passed everything but haven't heard officially if ive been cleared or not.

Cougars15

Took my pre board PFT and made it.
FAH: 50sec
Crunches: 100
Run: 26:50
Score: 225/300

Still working to get it up before the end board in June so I can be competitive.

Piposterous

pilot
So what is making everyone believe that the board is in June? Last year it was held in mid-July and my OSO seems pretty sure that it will be the same for this year as well.

Slick_Trix

So I think you may be right, it looks like the board wont be meeting until July. The wait continues. Although on a good note, I did finally get cleared by NAMI. If anyone has hard dates for the board id love to see them

Cougars15

Sorry I've been gone for a while my last board PFT was 232/300
FAH:54sec
Crunches:100
Run:26:59

Maybe preselect for next May?

cofranc736

Anyone selected yet? I know results usually take a week to post, but I've heard of some people finding out within a few days of the board ending