• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OAR score rquirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

I am junior in college majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in economics and finance. I am in two honor societies and my overall GPA is 4.0. I took the officer candidate test about one year ago and scored a thirty-nine for my oar score. At that time I was told that the score I needed to beat was a thirty-five. Now I have been told that I need to retake the test and score a min. score of a fifty. With my GPA and an OAR score of thirty-nine, do I need to retake the test or tell my recruiter to summit my application as it stands?

Thank you for your suggestions.

David

cyphertube

Personally, I would listen to what the recruiter has to say. I don't know what you're looking to go into, but everywhere I read is that 50 is generally what's needed to be competitive. Remember, you're competing against other candidates.

My GPA may be only a 3.7, but I have a professional interview done AND an OAR of 65, plus a background in management. I'm trying to make myself as competitive as possible. Really want to go toe-to-toe with the OAR of 39?

Since retaking won't kill you, I'd study the gouge on this site and retake it. Make yourself as competitive as possible.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree... 50 is minimally competitive right now for aviation. If your GPA is any indication of your intelligence you will definitely be able hit the 50 mark. I'd think that you are capable of more like 65 or 70. Study the available materials on this site (especially the Marine practice test) and you will be very well prepared.

It's not just the ASTB that determines your selection status. Remember, it's a "whole person" concept. They look at everything. So if your OAR is low but the rest of your application is great you might be OK. Still though, I'd retest.

DairyCreamer

Last I saw, the max you could get was a 67 OAR, seeing as it's just adding the MVT and MCT sections together.

Plus, I thought OAR was more used for officers NOT heading into an aviation field. Seeing as MVT and MCT are weighted into your x/9 Pilot/NFO FARs and AQR. While surely there's a minimum requirement, a low OAR would most certainly translate into lesser PFAR and FOFAR scores as well.

I received a 58/67 OAR, which my recuiter said was very competetive, yet got a 9/9 on my PFAR, mostly due to only missing one on the SAT section.

Point being, I think that, yes, definintely reconsider taking the test again. I would think that a fair improvement on you OAR could give you another point or two on your PFAR or FOFAR scores as well (assuming you're going for pilot or NFO).

Good luck!

~Nate

Meridiani

According to my recruiter, the highest score you can get on the OAR is 80. The highest he had ever seen anyone get was a 72.

Status
Not open for further replies.