1. Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dismiss Notice

Nuclear Programs - Cost vs Benefits

Discussion in 'Surface/Submarine (Nuclear Power)' started by JWL, Apr 18, 2017.

1. JWL

JWL Member

From what I have read, the nuclear programs for both subs and swo appear to be quite lengthy and stringent in nature, especially with the academics.

For all this trouble, does completing the nuclear pipeline really give an officer an edge in terms of assignments and promotions?

Apologies for the ignorance, but are all subs of the nuclear variety? I thought they were not. If so, do all prospective sub officers go through nuke (power?) school nonetheless?

And, why is there a nuclear option for swo? I did not believe any surface ships had nukes. But, then again, I am not this forum asking questions for a reason.

Thank you.

2. RUFiO181

RUFiO181 Making Recruiting Great Again

Are you applying for NUPOC? All these questions can be fielded by your OR if that's the case.

If you want more in-depth questions ask when you attend the Nuclear VIP trip in San Diego.

3. RUFiO181

4. zippy

zippy Freedom! Contributor None

No.

Yes. Yes except the Supply Officer.

Ever heard of an aircraft carrier?

NavyOffRec likes this.
  5. JWL

JWL Member

Is a carrier nuclear powered, or does it launch nukes?

6. JWL

JWL Member

7. RUFiO181

8. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Robot Pimp Super Moderator None Contributor

@JWL I think I see your confusion. Nuclear weapons =/= nuclear propulsion. Navy "nuke" programs are for the latter - running nuclear power plants aboard subs and aircraft carriers. All USN subs and carriers are nuclear powered.

9. JWL

JWL Member

Yes, Uncle Fester, thanks for the clarification. My understanding is that all subs and carriers are nuclear powered, but only certain subs carry nuclear weapons as part of the nuclear triad. Other subs are attack subs, correct? Nevertheless, all officers that want to go subs go through a year nuclear power school? Is this the same year long school SWO - nukes go through?

10. Charles Edward

Charles Edward Member

11. NavyOffRec

NavyOffRec Well-Known Member

He has some bad gouge, selection rate is not high, the interview he is talking about is the last step in the screening process, by then applications have been reviewed, and transcripts scrutinized, applicants are screened out at many points before that this guy wouldn't know about.

There are nukes that do design, there are few of them they are NR Engineers

He is correct there isn't much excitement, but you really don't want that, because that means extra work, something has failed, etc....

Most of the nuke officers I worked with didn't go into anything related to power generation, except for one exception all were offered good jobs and have good salaries, the other one was an idiot and she was lucky to hold a job at Victoria's secret.

12. subreservist

subreservist Member

As a sub guy myself, I found myself nodding in agreement to a lot of the points made. Not necessarily a bad thing, if you're ok with it. But there are some cool things he left out about sub life, but granted those things are infrequent.