• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NSW Standardizing on Glock 19

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great, now the Glock (oh, excuse me, GLOCK) crowd is going to be almost as smug as the H und K fanboys. :p

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Ha! I thought the title of this thread looked familiar. Nice to see I'm not the only one with an account over there.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
The Agency has been using 9mm glocks since the initial invasion of afghanistan after 9/11. I'm surprised it took this long for fanboy following to start being smug and obnoxious.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
MARSOC has been using them for awhile. Not surprising NSW is using them now too.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
It is the perfect "do it all" pistol. Reliable as the sun, easy to customize, huge array of OEM and aftermarket parts, decent capacity, etc.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
It is the perfect "do it all" pistol. Reliable as the sun, easy to customize, huge array of OEM and aftermarket parts, decent capacity, etc.

Biggest reason I've heard from dudes using them everyday is that it's just overall lighter, even with a larger capacity mag, than the 1911 or other .45 cal pistols.

GroundPounder

I have been able to carry a 1911 for the past two years at work, but for the previous 20 odd years I have been forced to carry a Glock 22. There are pros and cons to both, but if I was in the field 24/7 I would opt for the Glock. They are a tool, and will take abuse and exposure to adverse conditions in stride with little upkeep needed.

If you're depending on your legs to get you from place to place, every ounce counts. ( hurts ) The gun itself is lighter, as well as the ammo load out that you are going to have to hump.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
How long before the Glock 19 becomes the standard service pistol for the entire U.S. Navy? (P.S. What's the standard one today - Beretta M9?)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
How long before the Glock 19 becomes the standard service pistol for the entire U.S. Navy? (P.S. What's the standard one today - Beretta M9?)
I don't think this is a far fetched idea given that the Army sponsored modular handgun program has ballooned in cost and complexity to F-35 status.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Until they make it with an external safety, so Seaman Snuffy can't shoot himself in the foot after failing to keep his booger hook straight and extended along the frame, and OFF the bang switch.

The Glock is without a doubt the AK of pistols. . . do to it what you will, it just works. But I guarantee you that in a non-SOF capacity, its lack of external safety and SA-weight trigger pull would make The Powers That Be™ break out in hives.

Especially after the tragic loss of one of our bravest ready room chairs to friendly fire. :D

Duc'-guy25

pilot
Seaman Snuffy can't shoot himself in the foot

Well, weapon safety and marksmanship skills in the Navy are not exactly the best there is... I did have a seaman fail the M500 Qual for: 1. Handling the weapon unsafely, 2. Failing to hit the target. This was also the sailor telling me he was packing his .45 around town in the general public just to look tough.

BigRed389

None
Until they make it with an external safety, so Seaman Snuffy can't shoot himself in the foot after failing to keep his booger hook straight and extended along the frame, and OFF the bang switch.

The Glock is without a doubt the AK of pistols. . . do to it what you will, it just works. But I guarantee you that in a non-SOF capacity, its lack of external safety and SA-weight trigger pull would make The Powers That Be™ break out in hives.

Especially after the tragic loss of one of our bravest ready room chairs to friendly fire. :D

SIGs don't have external safeties either though.

And if Seaman Snuffy is carrying a pistol, he is carrying it in a holster. So if he shoots himself in the foot, the dumbass drew the weapon while on duty to start messing around with it.