• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Problem?

PatrickBates907

Hi, I'm currently trying to decide which college to attend out of the following, Miami University Ohio and University of Alabama. MU has NROTC, UA doesn't, however UA is really attractive to me. My plan was initially to attend MU and do NROTC Marine Option as a college programmer, for I found out too late about the scholarship and was unable to apply. The next step of the plan was to then transfer to a different school, that has NROTC, that I had wanted to go to originally but decided not to because of my grades. I'll use Georgetown University as an example. But now I was thinking possibly about going to UA for the first year, doing AROTC to learn military discipline and PT experience so I'm not absolutely behind, though I know I'll learn things that are not used in the Naval side of things. Then I'd transfer to GU and do NROTC and apply for the scholarship. Plan B would be to commission through PLC. Which path should I go on in your opinion? Are any of these paths good? And I've been hearing rumors about The Marine Corps not offering 2-3 year scholarships anymore, but it's sometimes conflicting, is this true? Thanks

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot
Your plan sounds overly complicated and not very executable.

Miami is a kickass school; visit to see for yourself. If you like it, enroll and join the NROTC unit along with other student organizations, a fraternity (yes you can do both), whatever. Don't pigeonhole yourself as a TRD (Typical ROTC Dork). Graduate four years later with a degree and a commission. If you do well, you can always save Georgetown for an MBA or law school further down the line.

Chud

None
Bottom line, what is your priority, going to a particular school or getting into a commissioning program? Nail that one down, and your choices fall out. If you are set on a particular school, you are limiting your choices of career here. If you know you want to be a Marine Officer, get into that track as soon a possible. A contract works in both parties favor. Marines know they are getting someone at a certain time, you know you have a slot. The longer you are on the 'outside' the more you have to deal with butterfly wing flaps driving your chances.
-Army ROTC for a year buys you nothing other that you can show the USMC that you have been doing something. They have their own brand of 'discipline'. Trust me on this one if nothing else.
-Yes, the Marine Corps is still offering 2 and 3 year scholarships. But like anything, availability goes up and down.

PatrickBates907

Thank you all for the awesome advice, I seriously appreciate it. I ended up enrolling at Miami Univeristy and am really happy about the decision. I really thought over what y'all said and it made a lot of sense, especially doing ROTC only to move on to The Corps, and I do know that there's a different type of discipline in The Marine Corps than there is in The Army, that's one of the reasons why I am so attracted to The USMC. I'm glad to hear they still have the 2-3 year scholarships, and I know I'll have to strive to be the best to get one. And in regards to transferring, I believe that id be happy to graduate from Miami so I'm glad about that, I still will probably try to transfer only because there are some schools that I really think I can get into the second time around but that's a good point about saving Georgetown or wherever for law school. Thanks guys, and thank you all for your service to our country!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
"Walk on" to the Navy ROTC unit this Summer and work hard towards earning a 2-3 year scholarship. I've seen folks even get a scholarship after their first semester in college. Anything is possible.

HUDcripple

pilot
Apply for the 4-year scholarship NOW. The window opened on 1 April. You'll be competing against HS Seniors, using your HS record, during your freshman year this fall. If selected you'll have earned a "4-year" scholarship that starts fall of 2017; it will automatically be reduced to a 3-year scholarship once activated. The results for the first Marine Option board will be out before applications are due for the 3-year scholarship, which you can apply for via the NROTC unit. (A rule change a couple years ago made anyone who doesn't yet have 30 college credits eligible for the 4-year scholarship.)

Make sure the NROTC Unit knows you are coming - don't wait until the first day of classes to contact them. Just call the unit front office and ask to speak to the Marine Officer Instructor (MOI), a Marine Captain or Major, or the Assistant Marine Officer Instructor (AMOI). Let them know you intend to enroll as a Marine Option College Program student. (There is a chance that they will have you talk to the freshman advisor instead, there isn't much difference between Navy and Marine Option until you get there.) You'll want to participate in New Student Orientation so that you get to know your classmates from the beginning.

Good luck