• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Prior Active Duty

Cody Pinnick

Im an active duty E-5, and my EAOS in June 2017. I plan on getting out at my EAOS and Joining a NROTC program. I want to use my Post 9/11 GI Bill, and receive the housing benefits, so I don't necessarily need a scholarship now. would I be better off applying for the scholarship? or count on advanced standing? if there is anyone else in my shoes, that is going thru the same dilemma, please let me know. Im within the age limits to be a pilot. thanks

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Just curious: have you applied to STA-21, or is there a reason you prefer to be discharged and go ROTC as a civilian?

Chud

None
Cody, why use your GI benefits if the Navy can pay for your education? There is a decided benefit (as well as a cost, depends on your viewpoint) to going on scholarship besides the money - It puts you on contract which, assuming you meet the program requirements, guarantees you a commission. Advanced standing is a hit or miss proposition, it completely depends on needs of the Navy that year. I.e. don't 'count' on advanced standing.
It is nice to be in your situation and have options. Discuss the various options with your NROTC unit, sit down and weigh out the costs and benefits.
Good luck!

HUDcripple

pilot
Apply for the scholarship. If you are selected that is when you have to make the decision, but "too many funding options" is a good problem to have. (You can decline the scholarship and join as a college program student, we have a senior who did so because he had a better scholarship from another source.)
Don't "count on" advanced standing. It is competitive, especially if you are a non-technical major. (I see Chud beat me to this point.)
The application window for the Fall 2017 scholarship opens this June. It is a rolling board starting in September, so if you apply early you might know well before EAOS.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A buddy of mine, now a retired Commander, did the exact same thing. He showed up at the NROTC and joined as a walk on after getting out. He was picked up for a 3 year scholarship after completing his first year. As HUDcripple says above, apply and see what happens. The worse thing that could happen is that they say no and you show up anyway. Win-Win!

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
Sometimes the schools will have a good deal to growth ROTC. The school I did MECEP at (which, given the option, I don't know why you wouldn't drop a STA-21 application just to see if it gets picked up) offered NROTC students a housing scholarship. So school pays for rooms and Navy paid for school. Might not be such a cool idea if you are married, but if you are single, it could be cost effective to ask about those things.

Cody Pinnick

Cody, why use your GI benefits if the Navy can pay for your education? There is a decided benefit (as well as a cost, depends on your viewpoint) to going on scholarship besides the money - It puts you on contract which, assuming you meet the program requirements, guarantees you a commission. Advanced standing is a hit or miss proposition, it completely depends on needs of the Navy that year. I.e. don't 'count' on advanced standing.
It is nice to be in your situation and have options. Discuss the various options with your NROTC unit, sit down and weigh out the costs and benefits.
Good luck!
I understand what you are saying, might as well keep my options open, rather than try and rely on one option like advanced standing. Thanks for the info

Cody Pinnick

Sometimes the schools will have a good deal to growth ROTC. The school I did MECEP at (which, given the option, I don't know why you wouldn't drop a STA-21 application just to see if it gets picked up) offered NROTC students a housing scholarship. So school pays for rooms and Navy paid for school. Might not be such a cool idea if you are married, but if you are single, it could be cost effective to ask about those things.
That's smart, I never thought to see if schools had housing scholarships, I am single, so that would be ideal. Thanks. And STA-21, I made the decision to get out a few months ago, and now I am PCSing and going on a deployment here in the next month. I need a few college classes to make a strong applicant. So we will see

Cody Pinnick

Apply for the scholarship. If you are selected that is when you have to make the decision, but "too many funding options" is a good problem to have. (You can decline the scholarship and join as a college program student, we have a senior who did so because he had a better scholarship from another source.)
Don't "count on" advanced standing. It is competitive, especially if you are a non-technical major. (I see Chud beat me to this point.)
The application window for the Fall 2017 scholarship opens this June. It is a rolling board starting in September, so if you apply early you might know well before EAOS.
Right, having too many options is a great thing. Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to apply sooner than later

Cody Pinnick

A buddy of mine, now a retired Commander, did the exact same thing. He showed up at the NROTC and joined as a walk on after getting out. He was picked up for a 3 year scholarship after completing his first year. As HUDcripple says above, apply and see what happens. The worse thing that could happen is that they say no and you show up anyway. Win-Win!
Exactly, win win! Show up anyway, and be sure to apply every year. And use advanced standing as a back up. Thanks

Cody Pinnick

I have several people enlisted/officer on the higher side of my chain of command telling me it's not a great idea. I feel like taking the chances of not getting picked up for STA 21 and potentially missing the age criteria is not the BEST option. I say better to take the I nitiative/risk of getting out, joining NROTC, and getting picked up. Any thoughts?

Renegade One

None
Only because the issue has surfaced recently, you might want to ask the Admins to change your profile name to something other than your real name. Some folks just don't like all this AW chit-chat showing up whenever someone Googles your name. Just a thought…not critical to national defense.

P.S.: I like your options…and I'm digging the aloha shirt you're wearing in your Facebook profile pic (see what I mean?) ;)