• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC ISD scholarship

Tigerman14

Hey guys,
I am wondering if anyone has any information on the immediate selection decision scholarship for nrotc. I haven't been finding any recent information on it so I am wondering if it even exists anymore. Also, if it does still exist can someone talk me through the process of how to get it. For the record I have a 31 math act and a 64 combined math/English.
Thanks,
John

Immy

I couldn't tell you cause I didn't go for it, but my understanding is if you submit early enough and you have outstanding credentials you'll probably get picked up quicker. I can also tell you it will hinge on more than just your ACT scores, but you probably know that.

Random Task

pilot
Well this info is from over 5 years ago so I'm sure it has probably changed but back then you had to be in the top 10% or top 20% (im not sure which one...data dumped all the info long ago) of your class. Other than that it was pretty much up to the guy that interviewed you. They have a certain amount they can hand out or at least recommend up the chain.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
Recruiter hold the keys to this option. Most applicants don't even know to ask about it. A classmate of my son's asked me to help him w/ his packet as he wasn't getting much help w/ the Recruiter. Asked Recruiter if he had considered him for Immediate Select Decision. He said no, that he thought the applicant was a "shoo-in" and sent his packet directly to the Board. Apparently once it goes to the Board, you cannot grant ISD. I was pissed when applicant did not make the cut nationally when he could have done so locally.

Pretty sure the reason he did not get selected was because he chose a "Tier 3" major and that greatly reduces the odds of getting picked up.

I am also not overly jazzed about the fact that NROTC Recruiting (at least in NRD Richmond, which includes the largest Navy installation in the world) is (or at least used to be) handled by a First Class Petty Officer.

While I'm on my soap box ranting, when it comes to the part where you get interviewed, be aware that you can determine (to some extent) who conducts that interview. It does not have to be the Recruiter.

It used to be that it had to be a recruiter, a commissioned officer (O-4 or above), or a retired officer (May have my stats wrong here). If you know an officer, I would highly encourage you to go that route. I think it sends a stronger signal if an officer tells the Board an applicant has officer-like qualities than if an enlisted does. Ask the Recruiter if you can get interviewed by an officer and then pick one that knows you. Chances are the officer will know you better than the Recruiter (who has to manage many, many applicants) does. Recruiter shouldn't push back. After all, it's to his advantage to get you selected.

Would be interested in Wink's take on this.

Excited Mid

ok heres the deal...i was offered an "isd" however my recruiting station called it an ISR. I do not know why. Basically, if you are a very qualified candidate, after you submit your packet to your recruiting office, the recruiters in your local office can recommend you for an ISR. After this happens your packet will go to the regional office, where you will have to do an extra interview with the CO of the unit. If you are then offered the isd, you will be given an instant scholarship to ANY of the 5 schools that you listed on your application. Your packet will not go to selection boards, so you can know as early as october or november if you have the scholarship, which is really nice. Thats pretty much it in a nutshell, as its really hard to get any information out of the recruiters, i found that they knew less than i did. however if you have any questions PM me and ill try to help you with them

anonymousgoat

I know that you can usually decide to decline an NROTC scholarhsip, but if you do ISR, do you have to accept? I heard somewhere that if you do ISR, the only thing that can stop you from accepting the scholarship and doing NRTOC is an appointment from the Naval Academy, but I don't know if this is true or not.