• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NPQ'd for Lattice degen and retinal hole

P

Peryhelion

So I just got my NPQ letter back saying that I am not eligible for commission because of lattice degeneration and a small peripheral retinal hole. I know there are some recruiters here and I've read all the posts on this website about this, but I haven't seen anyone talk about if they were able to get it waivered when coming from the civilian realm. I hear that some retinal holes heal themselves when they are minor but I don't know that the prognosis is on lattice healing itself.

I am able to reapply in 2018 but I wanted to know if it's a fool's errand to try to hope. I already have zero hope but it is really crushing being disqualified when I otherwise have a very competitive application. Are there no medical procedures approved? I know that a vitrectomy is out of the question but that laser retinopexys are not frowned upon as much. Not sure what I would do about the lattice though.

Anyway, good luck to all other candidates, and please get your eyes checked out before you get your hopes up.

exNavyOffRec

So I just got my NPQ letter back saying that I am not eligible for commission because of lattice degeneration and a small peripheral retinal hole. I know there are some recruiters here and I've read all the posts on this website about this, but I haven't seen anyone talk about if they were able to get it waivered when coming from the civilian realm. I hear that some retinal holes heal themselves when they are minor but I don't know that the prognosis is on lattice healing itself.

I am able to reapply in 2018 but I wanted to know if it's a fool's errand to try to hope. I already have zero hope but it is really crushing being disqualified when I otherwise have a very competitive application. Are there no medical procedures approved? I know that a vitrectomy is out of the question but that laser retinopexys are not frowned upon as much. Not sure what I would do about the lattice though.

Anyway, good luck to all other candidates, and please get your eyes checked out before you get your hopes up.

I have not seen anyone with a retina issue ever get in, all NPQ'd

BigLuvin

pilot
None
I got the same letter a few months ago due to lattice degeneration and a small hole in my right retina. I had already went to Ophthalmology a few months prior to get a Dilated Fundus Exam (DFE) that was needed for my waiver (currently a P-3C Flight Engineer). Once I sent that to my processor and PRK paperwork, I was granted a waiver for commission. I'm already Active Duty, so that could have played a significant factor. There's no such thing as a "fools errand." If you want it bad enough, you'll explore every avenue that you can. Do everything within your power to try and get a waiver. Give Ophthalmology in NAMI a call. I talked to an individual there who was extremely helpful and gave me some more insight. Good luck, keep your head high, and keep pushing towards your goal(s).

~BL

exNavyOffRec

I got the same letter a few months ago due to lattice degeneration and a small hole in my right retina. I had already went to Ophthalmology a few months prior to get a Dilated Fundus Exam (DFE) that was needed for my waiver (currently a P-3C Flight Engineer). Once I sent that to my processor and PRK paperwork, I was granted a waiver for commission. I'm already Active Duty, so that could have played a significant factor. There's no such thing as a "fools errand." If you want it bad enough, you'll explore every avenue that you can. Do everything within your power to try and get a waiver. Give Ophthalmology in NAMI a call. I talked to an individual there who was extremely helpful and gave me some more insight. Good luck, keep your head high, and keep pushing towards your goal(s).

~BL

The rules are different for those who are not on AD, and he has to go through N3M first for basic entrance requirements, once that is passed NAMI comes into play, in addition RUFIO has said that the USN no longer takes additional information from civilian docs to try and overturn what MEPS and N3M has already made a call on.