• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NPQ'd at OCS

Lionheart

Would like to hear any recent OCS classes experiences with getting NPQ'd while at OCS over the last year with regard to SNA's and NFO's. Anyone remember about how many out of recent classes this winds up happening too unfortunately? Allowed to redes? Just wondering what happens to some people that just seem to "disappear" all of a sudden.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Would like to hear any recent OCS classes experiences with getting NPQ'd while at OCS over the last year with regard to SNA's and NFO's. Anyone remember about how many out of recent classes this winds up happening too unfortunately? Allowed to redes? Just wondering what happens to some people that just seem to "disappear" all of a sudden.

There are already COUNTLESS threads about this, as recent as a few weeks ago. @cookie_monster told his story and surely you can find others.

desertflyer

It depends on what you were NPQed for. Some conditions will only disqualify you for specific designators, while others will disqualify you from the Navy completely. If you're not disqualified from the Navy completely, you will be redesignated. (this is from my experience in the last year)

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

It depends on what you were NPQed for. Some conditions will only disqualify you for specific designators, while others will disqualify you from the Navy completely. If you're not disqualified from the Navy completely, you will be redesignated. (this is from my experience in the last year)

Isn't MEPS supposed to cover the primary bases that would fully disqualify someone from service? Or do you mean like someone breaks a bone while in OCS?

desertflyer

Isn't MEPS supposed to cover the primary bases that would fully disqualify someone from service? Or do you mean like someone breaks a bone while in OCS?

MEPS isn't nearly as thorough as the medical you will get at OCS, not to mention anything that may happen between MEPS and OCS. MEPS can miss a lot. The Navy will also not address any preexisting conditions short of an emergency. One example is someone had gallstones at OCS and the Navy would not fix it, they simply disqualified them, told them to get it fixed on their own and reapply.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Thanks desertflyer; too bad for the gallstone guy; doesn't seem right for him at all.

It all comes down to $$$. Not $$$ in terms of paying for a surgery, etc. but $$$ in that they're paying someone to hang around for weeks, months (however long it takes) until they are fully ready to go.

Lionheart

Casual observation: Been looking thru old threads and junk; with so many horror stories out there with morality issues these days, academic issues, and a multitude of medical issues from MEPS, to the beginning of OCS, to two weeks before OCS graduation, at NAMI, during all the flight schools, etc., etc., its quite amazing anybody makes thru to get wings. Congrats to those who get thru! Just my casual observation.

Judge Q

Judging You
Casual observation: Been looking thru old threads and junk; with so many horror stories out there with morality issues these days, academic issues, and a multitude of medical issues from MEPS, to the beginning of OCS, to two weeks before OCS graduation, at NAMI, during all the flight schools, etc., etc., its quite amazing anybody makes thru to get wings. Congrats to those who get thru! Just my casual observation.

Once you get there though it's all choker whites and dining outs. :cool:

exNavyOffRec

It all comes down to $$$. Not $$$ in terms of paying for a surgery, etc. but $$$ in that they're paying someone to hang around for weeks, months (however long it takes) until they are fully ready to go.

yep, I had one candidate who was found to have a hernia shortly after starting and he was sent home, another developed one late in OCS and he was retained and had surgery on the USN dime.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
yep, I had one candidate who was found to have a hernia shortly after starting and he was sent home, another developed one late in OCS and he was retained and had surgery on the USN dime.
Out of curiosity, what happened to the guy who got sent home? If he had the surgery, would he be allowed to come back?

Meyerkord

pilot
There were a few people that got NPQ'd from my class. One was too short, the other had a heart condition that he never knew about. Both re-designated to SWO. Someone else got DQ'd for a vision thing that MEPS missed apparently. Last I heard he was trying to re-designate to Intel.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I received the NAMI Whammy whilst at OCS about 6 years ago; I doubt the process has changed much. Essentially, you'll meet with your Class Officer and he'll ask you if you want to stick around or not. If you choose to leave; they'll send you home with a medical discharge and a pat on the back. If you choose to stick around, they'll ask you what you want to do. If your Class Officer is squared away (mine wasn't), he'll have a good idea of what designators are actually available to you as they're all dependent upon the needs of the Navy and how badly each community needs people. After that, you'll sign some paperwork and do some quick re-detailing.

Here's the short version of my story (You can find the long version with some digging on the forum): I was NPQ'd with a week-and-a-half left in OCS. My Class Officer barely realized that I was about to be booted from the Navy and had an emergency meeting with me. In the meeting, he asked me if I wanted to stay in and commission (I did), and asked me what I wanted to do. I decided upon going EOD and he said he'd draw up the paperwork to get my designator changed. The next day I went and got a dive physical (passed it), and then went back to his office to sign my new contract. When I got there, he told me that the only thing available now was SWO and take it or leave it. I took it, then got my orders (I redesignated the same week that the Academy and NROTC were doing ship selection so the pickings were slim and I didn't even get to put in my preferences), and commissioned a few days later. So from NPQ to new orders, was about 1 week or 5 working days.