• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NPQ by NAMI

silver236

None
First, I am a PLC-Cer So I just called NAMI myself today and came to find out that I was NPQed on June 13, 2012. The corpsman on the phone told me that he will have a doc to contact me since he wasn't able to access the info in regards to why I was NPQed. However, he did mention that my waiver was not recommended. I highly believe that the waiver was for my arrest (eveding arrest and reckless driving on my motorcycle) which happened in the first year of college. Plus a quite amount of speeding tickets. Now, my OSA informed me that NAMI is not the final decider, MCRC has the final say and that's why my OSA hadn't heard anything yet. Does anyone know the process in which who grants the final approval? Does MCRC solely base their decision on NAMI's recommendation?

MasterBates

What does NAMI have to do with your previous arrest record?
My spidey sense is tingling.

NAMI cared a lot about my back I broke in a motorcycle crash when I was 16, but cared nothing about any moving violations.

For the record, I broke my back on a Motocross track in Maine, during a race, not doing anything illegal.
Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

silver236

None
I just spoke with the doc from NAMI and told me that I am NPQ due my traffic violations. At flight physical, I had to stay there for an extra day for a psychiatric evaluation; I had to take a self assessment test that contained close to a thousand questions and had to be interviewed by two psychiatrists (one naval Dr. one civilian). In a nutshell, I am PQ however I am not MORALLY QUALIFIED.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just spoke with the doc from NAMI and told me that I am NPQ due my traffic violations. At flight physical, I had to stay there for an extra day for a psychiatric evaluation; I had to take a self assessment test that contained close to a thousand questions and had to be interviewed by two psychiatrists (one naval Dr. one civilian). In a nutshell, I am PQ however I am not MORALLY QUALIFIED.
Let me translate that for you: You are NPQ due to some (apparently unresolved) psychological issue that they believe is at the root of your behaviors that led to you deciding it was a good idea to evade the police. That is NAMI's medical conclusion of your psychological fitness for flight status. NAMI does not consider legal or "moral" factors in their determination - only medical factors.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
My spidey sense is tingling.

Mine was as well. I was waiting for the "Well when I ran from the cops I slammed into a pole and hurt ___ body part". For the OP, I had to fight for a physical waiver for 6 months while in A pool, TINS, I was 3 days from getting shown the door when the waiver came through (you could only be med down for 6 mos when I went through, then it was see you later for OCS types). Keep fighting, hopefully it works out.

exNavyOffRec

Let me translate that for you: You are NPQ due to some (apparently unresolved) psychological issue that they believe is at the root of your behaviors that led to you deciding it was a good idea to evade the police. That is NAMI's medical conclusion of your psychological fitness for flight status. NAMI does not consider legal or "moral" factors in their determination - only medical factors.

BINGO! I had a person that had a similar issue, I think the paperwork I saw the psych doc said "problem with authority", in the past those waivers weren't too hard to get with a few other evals, however since that doc in Texas happened everyone is a lot more cautious.

silver236

None
Hey, thanks for the replies everyone.

Currently I'm NPQ psychiatrically at the grounds of NAMI. It still needs to be reviewed by the NAMI review board. Then the package will be submitted to the MCRC. However, I believe that MCRC has no say so over NAMI. Can I appeal it?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BINGO! I had a person that had a similar issue, I think the paperwork I saw the psych doc said "problem with authority", in the past those waivers weren't too hard to get with a few other evals, however since that doc in Texas happened everyone is a lot more cautious.
I know this ebbs and flows with the retainment/recruiting numbers, but for discussion's sake, when did we go from testing people's mental/psychological ability to do well in an aviation environment (I.E. the long biographical questionaire that used to be a factor in your ASTB numbers), to giving waivers for people with behavioral problems and a history of running from law enforcement? Food for thought, I know when a lot of us got commissioned, having a squeeky clean record was the baseline. I don't know if stastistics exist for this, but I wonder what the correlation would be for behavioral type waivers and failure to succeed in the Navy (attrition, what have you)?

exNavyOffRec

I know this ebbs and flows with the retainment/recruiting numbers, but for discussion's sake, when did we go from testing people's mental/psychological ability to do well in an aviation environment (I.E. the long biographical questionaire that used to be a factor in your ASTB numbers), to giving waivers for people with behavioral problems and a history of running from law enforcement? Food for thought, I know when a lot of us got commissioned, having a squeeky clean record was the baseline. I don't know if stastistics exist for this, but I wonder what the correlation would be for behavioral type waivers and failure to succeed in the Navy (attrition, what have you)?

This wasn't a USN/USMC thing but a DOD directive, some of the questions are "have you been suspended from school", how often do you drink, how much, how many tickets so you have, etc..... this gives you a score, over a certain number and here comes a psych eval. I know a psych doc who said "if you ask a person the right questions, you can find a way to DQ anyone" that response was to a question I asked about how some people get DQ'd

The stat is out there, I never paid much attention to it as far as specifics, but waiver does mean increased chance for attrition.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hey, thanks for the replies everyone.

Currently I'm NPQ psychiatrically at the grounds of NAMI. It still needs to be reviewed by the NAMI review board. Then the package will be submitted to the MCRC. However, I believe that MCRC has no say so over NAMI. Can I appeal it?

Your waiver IS your appeal. NAMI only recommends, the next office up approves or disapproves (on the Navy side, that's BUPERS). However, it's not like the Personnel side is going to over-ride a doctor, so what NAMI says is pretty much what happens.

silver236

None
NAMI hasn't not finalized their decision just yet. The package still needs to be submitted to the NAMI board.
The flight surgeon in Corpus advised me that only hope I have now is to have someone higher ranking to intervene before it makes its way to the board.

MasterBates

Lets just say given the track records of people with Psych waivers.. I wish you the best, but if you can become a supermodel's personal assistant, don't pass on that waiting for NOMI.