• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO to Pilot

StinkinMid

After searching through he forums, I read that it used to be if you ranked in the top 10% of your API class you might be granted the chance to redesignate from NFO to SNA. Anyone know if this is still the case?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's like everything else in the Program - needs of the Navy. If they under-accessed SNAs and over-accessed FOs, and if you've got a good record and if you're physically qualified, then maybe. Every cone seems to come to NASP knowing about the mythical "#1 can redesignate" urban legend; in almost four years there as an instructor, I never saw or heard of it happening. It's not a Willy Wonka Golden Ticket or the USNA "magic brick".

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...the mythical "#1 can redesignate" urban legend; in almost four years there as an instructor, I never saw or heard of it happening....

I am pretty sure it has happened for a few periods of time, early to mid-00's and I think back in my time for a short time but it is definitely not 'standard' and as you noted based on what the Navy needs.

Chachi

pilot
Contributor
A friend of mine was able to pull it off in 2011. He finished API and waited around stashed with a job while the bureaucracy was being carried out in the background..

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A friend of mine was able to pull it off in 2011. He finished API and waited around stashed with a job while the bureaucracy was being carried out in the background..

Glad it worked out for him but it isn't the practice anymore.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll just say that, while still uncommon, I've known way more NFOs that redesignated to pilot once they finished their first Fleet tour, than ever did it while at Pensacola.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I'll just say that, while still uncommon, I've known way more NFOs that redesignated to pilot once they finished their first Fleet tour, than ever did it while at Pensacola.

I hear it really hurts when they pull that second anchor out. Like, maybe you can sit down in a week or so. :eek:

In all seriousness, I've known a few who did this. All good dudes/dudettes.

ajc19881

pilot
None
A more traditional and realistic option is to apply for a pilot transition after earning your NFO wings and completing at least 18 months in your fleet squadron.

I did the NFO-Pilot transition in 2008. I was warned it would be a be a huge risk to your career if you care to promote and meet the wickets to be eligible for command someday. That gouge is absolutely true in my experience. You will likely have to struggle to earn quals and get assigned the tough jobs much sooner than the average guy so you can stay competitive. The problem is that you go non-observed for 2+ years during pilot training while everyone else in your year group is busting their ass for real FITREPs. Oh, and you most likely won't be eligible for the DH bonus unless that rule changed recently. You also will start a brand new 8 year commitment after getting pilot wings.

That being said, I would do it again in a heartbeat. Just understand what challenges you are volunteering for if you end up applying for the NFO-Pilot transition someday.

Anyway, that's a long time away for you but something to keep in mind if you are serious about being a pilot.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The gouge I always heard was that your long term prospects are much better if you return to your original community...eg, VP FO to VP pilot. Otherwise, 2-ish years of NOB DUINST paper plus moving to a new community where nobody knows you means a double whammy for screen potential. At least if you 'come home' you're not an unknown commodity when it comes time for DH, you know the community and mission, etc.

StinkinMid

Thanks for all the advice! I would be honored to be an NFO, I just wanted to know my options. Looking forward to flight school. (USNA '16)

ajc19881

pilot
None
I'd agree with that.
The gouge I always heard was that your long term prospects are much better if you return to your original community...eg, VP FO to VP pilot. Otherwise, 2-ish years of NOB DUINST paper plus moving to a new community where nobody knows you means a double whammy for screen potential. At least if you 'come home' you're not an unknown commodity when it comes time for DH, you know the community and mission, etc.

That's a good point. The guys I've personally known make it have gone home to their community.