• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Newbie checking in

DavidC

Joined the forum after browsing for a while. I'm a 23 year old professional flight instructor with over 1000 hours total time and a 4-year aeronautics degree. Now that I can finally afford PRK, I'm going to pursue my long-time goal of flying for the Marines.

I will likely get the surgery in the first week or two of January. Since my vision's not too bad (20/70 and 20/40 right now), hopefully the recovery time won't be that long. I'm hoping to get into the summer OCS. Would this be reasonable, or will the time waiting for a PRK waiver push me back to late fall?

Thanks for the info. I look forward to learning more and hopefully joining the ranks of the aviators here.

MettGT

pilot
Joined the forum after browsing for a while. I'm a 23 year old professional flight instructor with over 1000 hours total time and a 4-year aeronautics degree. Now that I can finally afford PRK, I'm going to pursue my long-time goal of flying for the Marines.

I will likely get the surgery in the first week or two of January. Since my vision's not too bad (20/70 and 20/40 right now), hopefully the recovery time won't be that long. I'm hoping to get into the summer OCS. Would this be reasonable, or will the time waiting for a PRK waiver push me back to late fall?

Thanks for the info. I look forward to learning more and hopefully joining the ranks of the aviators here.

These types of questions have been asked before, but since I'm procrastinating studying nav....here goes: Figure at least 3 months of recovery time before you even get looked at for a waiver. Add in a the time it takes NOMI and HQMC to get their shit together after losing your paperwork a couple of times, and a fall OCS class would look more reasonable. Not to say that it's impossible for you to class up this summer, but it's unlikely. I got PRK in Aug 06 and wasn't contracted unitl April 07. Then, it wasn't until Sept 07 that I went to OCS.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
There is a PRK Forum here that should help with info. Contact an OSO asap you have work to do.

Best of luck.

Ecureuil444

Habitual Waster of Time
I know you have to wait at least 6 months after PRK before you can go to OCS (assuming all the paperwork is in order). A buddy of mine got PRK in December and went down for Golf Company 2nd increment in July and found out that if he went 1st increment in May they would have sent him home becuase it hadn't been 6 months. He lucked out considerably becuase up to that point he wasn't aware of that policy.

DavidC

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll have to find about a month where I can miss work or just teach ground school and do flight reviews.

I talked with an OSO a few weeks ago, and they said it's 3 months before I'm eligible for a waiver. I'll talk with them again monday, but is there a requirement to have the waiver 3 months before OCS? If there is I'll need to either bump up the surgery or find something else to do until fall.

MettGT

pilot
Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll have to find about a month where I can miss work or just teach ground school and do flight reviews.

I talked with an OSO a few weeks ago, and they said it's 3 months before I'm eligible for a waiver. I'll talk with them again monday, but is there a requirement to have the waiver 3 months before OCS? If there is I'll need to either bump up the surgery or find something else to do until fall.

Not that I'm aware of. Once you have your waiver, you're good to go. Check the NAMI Waiver Guide for the most up to date information.