• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

new swo tracks

popeye123

i'm still on the application process but i was wondering about going to graduate school while being in the navy, does all SWO officers get the opportunity to go to graduate school after their first divo tour? or is it based on performance?

and after graduating, would my initial 4 year contract end up being 7-9 years (including prior grad and time in school plus the extended time?)

i'm trying to find out some more information online but i'm getting different answers all around...

azguy

None
The problem with "new tracks" is they don't always stick, and they are subject to change. As it stands today, you can apply to go to grad school after your first DIVO tour (not guaranteed), then you "pay it back" concurrently during your 2nd DIVO tour and you'll be free/clear around the 7 year mark. So yes, your 4 year obligation almost doubles, but you get a free in residence Masters degree. Really, not a bad deal depending on your personal and career goals.

Basically, you're guaranteed full-time grad school as a SWO. Where and when you get that opportunity is dependent on your record, your desires, and (most importantly) the needs of the Navy.

popeye123

Thank you for your reply sir, I really appreciate it.

by the way, what do you mean by "pay it back"? Do you mean that I have to pay back the tuition costs during my 2nd DIVO tour (basically working for free on the 2nd DIVO tour?)

and would going to graduate school while being in the navy be any different as a NFO/SNA designation?

azguy

None
Pay it back = you owe one year of service for each year of grad school. No, you don't have to work for free or pay any tuition.

I'll let one of our esteemed aviators speak to where this fits in an aviator's career track.

popeye123

Pay it back = you owe one year of service for each year of grad school. No, you don't have to work for free or pay any tuition.

I'll let one of our esteemed aviators speak to where this fits in an aviator's career track.

thanks again for your responses sir,

I'm doing some more research online but I'm only getting more questions sigh, I'm sorry for all the questions I'm about to ask now...

..So I see that attending graduate school after the first DIVO is not guaranteed but in your experience have you seen the majority of officers that applied for this opportunity be accepted or rejected? and how "superior" must an officer's performance be in order to be considered worthy for this opportunity? (with details please)
and are we allowed to choose whatever we want to study or must it be approved by the navy's needs

are there any other pathways to getting a graduate degree? how was it done in the past? and how about using the GI bill, how would that play in?

I've also read about this GEV program.. is that the same track we're currently talking about?

thanks again sir, my apologies for so many questions. I really appreciate your informative responses

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
thanks again for your responses sir,

I'm doing some more research online but I'm only getting more questions sigh, I'm sorry for all the questions I'm about to ask now...

..So I see that attending graduate school after the first DIVO is not guaranteed but in your experience have you seen the majority of officers that applied for this opportunity be accepted or rejected? and how "superior" must an officer's performance be in order to be considered worthy for this opportunity? (with details please)
and are we allowed to choose whatever we want to study or must it be approved by the navy's needs

are there any other pathways to getting a graduate degree? how was it done in the past? and how about using the GI bill, how would that play in?

I've also read about this GEV program.. is that the same track we're currently talking about?

thanks again sir, my apologies for so many questions. I really appreciate your informative responses

It looks that you have a ton of questions about post-grad opportunities as a SWO that are very difficult/lengthy to explain on here. Being that you live in Hawaii, your best bet is to have your OR get you in touch with a SWO out of Pearl Harbor who you can meet up in person or call. Better yet, you can probably get a ship tour done; that is something I used to do with my past SWO applicants. Also, from what I can remember, there's always been at least one SWO from NRD Los Angeles assigned to recruit out of Hawaii. Who knows... your OR might even be a SWO himself. If not, he or she probably knows one easily.

Finally, and not to sound rude, but with your 41 OAR score you're not even eligible to apply for SWO (min score is 45 but ideally you want to be 50+). I'd be focusing more on improving that OAR score and less on opportunities that are still years away. If you can't get past the ASTB, these opportunities won't ever happen.

azguy

None

Take a deep breath. You're on step 1, but obsessing over step 2,874. Rufio, an experienced Officer Recruiter, is offering you some good advice above.

I'm curious though, why the obsession with the Masters degree? Does anyone really consider a Navy Masters degree that big of a deal?