• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Fed Employee Soon to Commision in the USNR. Do I Buy Back My Active Duty Time?

Greetings I am a former AT2, 4 years active duty, a new federal employee (started in Nov 16’), and I have been accepted for commission into the USNR’s EDO program. I am waiting on my COMDOCS now.

My question is: Is there a negative effect on my military retirement, in the USNR, if I buy back my active duty time and apply it towards my career as a federal employee?

I have tried to find this out on my own but I have not been successful. Thank you in advance. Advice is greatly appreciated on this topic.

Nope, no idea if it's laid out anywhere in black and white.
Thanks for the replies. Pags your answer is exactly the one I have gotten before. It appears they will allow you to buy back your military time, and still let you keep the active duty time towards your military time in service. I'll give this forum sometime and if the answers reflect yours I'll do the buy back.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Thanks for the replies. Pags your answer is exactly the one I have gotten before. It appears they will allow you to buy back your military time, and still let you keep the active duty time towards your military time in service. I'll give this forum sometime and if the answers reflect yours I'll do the buy back.
I'm basing my answer off of discussions with many people who have done what you're doing. It seems weird, but remember that you essentially have two different employers who are individually giving you credit for the same thing. But, don't forget that you have to pay to use your ACDU time towards your FERS retirement; it's not a "freebie."

I'm basing my answer off of discussions with many people who have done what you're doing. It seems weird, but remember that you essentially have two different employers who are individually giving you credit for the same thing. But, don't forget that you have to pay to use your ACDU time towards your FERS retirement; it's not a "freebie."
Rodger that.

Great. I think I'll be fine. I did not retire, just 4 years. Now I am a full time federal employee and will soon commission into the reserves.

Great. I think I'll be fine. I did not retire, just 4 years. Now I am a full time federal employee and will soon commission into the reserves.
Yes, buy back your time. I agree that you should try to find the applicable instruction (which I don't have handy), but I guarantee you that this is a chance to double dip. I bought back eight years for about $5k, which will tack 8% on to my retirement. It's a good deal, yours will be cheaper, but tack on four years to your retirement.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yes, buy back your time. I agree that you should try to find the applicable instruction (which I don't have handy), but I guarantee you that this is a chance to double dip. I bought back eight years for about $5k, which will tack 8% on to my retirement. It's a good deal, yours will be cheaper, but tack on four years to your retirement.
NAVAIR had an HR guy that would walk you through the process of buying back your ACDU time. I'm sure your agency's HR people should know what forms are required. You don't have to buy it back all at once; I have a fair chunk to pay off and am doing it at $25/pay period.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Buy back can NOT be used if you later earn an active retirement. For instance, if you are active, join reserves or guard and start buying back your time, and later earn an AGR "active" retirement. I was midway through buying my time back as an M-day guard and federal technician. When I picked up AGR, I was told that active duty time I had already bought back no longer counted if I earn my 20 AGR. I am entitled to a refund (without interest) of the money I paid in for the buy back.