• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New CG pilot program

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just spent a day telling lies to college students about the Navy at a campus career fair. While there I got an update from the CG Officer recruiter. He passed on the following info on a new program called BLUE 21. He also cleared up some bad gouge. First it is not required to complete a fleet tour in the CG before going to flight school. It is true that there is no guaruntee of flight training if you are an OCS candidate (with the exception of the progam introduced below). Normally you compete for flight training on graduation from OCS. The transition/interservice transfer programs are up and running full speed. They get alot of Army WOs that come over and are commissioned as Ensigns. Other guys come over too but will hardly ever get more then LTJG out of the deal. That means a big pay and rank cut for the other service guys. Now, about the new program...

Blue 21 gaurantees flight training to OCS applicants. That is a major change for the CG.

Age: Must not have turned 31 by date of selection. This is a higher limit then any other service.

Education: 2.5 GPA or better in engineering computer related field or other technical major. Can't sy if the 2.5 will fly as a competitive score since the program is too new for a data trend.

Must have a Private Pilots Lic or better!!

Applicants must also meet a min score on one of the following tests:
SAT 1000, SAT I 1100, ACT 23, ASVAB GT 109

Prior service: Can not have more then 6 years prior active service

ASTB scores: 4/4 Again, too early to tell if a 4/4 will really get a guy selected. 4/4 is very low. I have never seen a guy in the Navy selected with a 4/4 for pilot or NFO.

Vision: uncorrect distance vision no worse then 20/50 correctable to 20/20. Uncorrected near vision must be 20/20. This is different then the Navy. PRK waivers considered. LASIK not approved.

O.K. This final paragraph may seem controversial to some of you. It is what it is. I will not accept any comments on this aspect of the Blue 21 program on this forum. You have a comment, take it to the War Zone.

The CG is under pressure to improve diversity. The Bllue 21 program is for applicants coming out of colleges with a 25% or higher minority student body. Now, before you get your panties in a bunch, I think you will find very many colleges, especially public ones, meet this requirement. There is no requirement the applicant be a minority, however, you may refer to the goal of the program, "to improve diverisity."

This is a unique program that will fit the needs of some of you guys. I hope it is successful for some of you and the CG as well. If anyone applies for BLUE-21 keep us informed on your progress and fine tune my gouge as the program matures.

All CG Officer recruiters are based in DC and cover the country in zones. You can start by caling 1-800-NOW USCG. If you live out west your recruiter is probably at (202)493-6693.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So wink, is this the program that's going to replace the lateral transfer program they have? Those requirements seem to be more oriented to incoming college aged people, and not the others that come from the other services. I can't remember the name of the current program, but the general rules were no more than 10 years in service. I don't remember the age. If the program you mention is to replace it, that kinda sucks.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Blue-21 will not replace lat tranx. The CG loves the lat tranx program. Blue-21 was designed to promote "diversity". I guess I don't know what you guys ment about the and/or confusion. They are THE requirements. You must met them all with the exception of the college major options and the standardized test requirement which may be SAT,ACT or ASVB. The active committment didn't seem too clear though. It is 8 years after wings. The 11 thing comes from the 3 year min obligation if one attrites or DORs. The 3 years and 8 after wings run concurrent though. It is like the Navy. 1-2 years for wings and then 8 years on top of that.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
wink said:
I guess I don't know what you guys ment about the and/or confusion. They are THE requirements. You must met them all with the exception of the college major options and the standardized test requirement which may be SAT,ACT or ASVB.

Umm... look, I'm not trying to be an a$$, and maybe we are saying the same thing.

http://www.gocoastguard.com/dc/dcprograms/blue21.htm
3. Education

To be eligible, applicants must have a minimum 2.5 GPA and meet one of the following degree requirements:

a. Have a degree in any aviation, aeronautical and aerospace program from a qualifying four-year institution (25% or greater minority population of U.S. citizens).

b. Have a degree in any engineering related program from a qualifying four-year institution.

c. Have a degree in any computer related program from a qualifying four-year institution.

d. Have a degree in any technical or technology related program from a qualifying four-year institution.

e. Have an Associates degree in an aviation, aeronautical or aerospace specific program from a Junior/Community College accompanied by a baccalaureate degree in any major course of study from a qualifying four-year institution.

f. Have a Private Pilot’s License (or higher rating), in conjunction with a degree from a qualifying four-year institution.

So... way I read this is... if I have a PPL + bachelors, I'm good. OR, If I have a technical/computer/engineering bachelors, I'm good. OR I have any random bachelors degree + assoicates in aviation, I'm good. OR, if I go to a school with 25% minority folks, and I'm an aviation bachelors, I'm good.

Please tell me if I'm AFU...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Never thought you were AFU or an a$$. Just didn't get it. Now I guess I see where there may be some small confusion. To sort it out, on the Description page of my hard copy it says in bold letters underlined, "must have graduated from a college with min 25% minority popluation..." So I was not confused by that aspect no matter how the portion you quote was written. As to the PPL and any degree qualifying, as opposed to a technical degree, I didn't fall for that either simply because I talked to the dude and got a verbal on the requirements. Having not heard the brief I guess that one may have been confusing. Bottom line. PPL required. Technical degree required. 25% minority pop of your college, required.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here, I'll reiterate.

- PPL required.
- Technical degree required.
- 25% minority population of your college required.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Are you kidding me? Wow, I can't believe she's the first for the CG after all this time.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wink, was the BDCP originally designed for minorities? That's just what I've heard. I figured I was the token white guy that got in.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BDCP was first promoted in the mid 80's primarily to minorities. There were very very few non minorities admitted to the program. I personally never heard of one. It was also very small. I recruited in a large District and we had quotas for only about 5 or 6 BDCP guys in a year. Believe it or not, we didn't always make our goal. When I came back to recruiting as a Reservist in the late '90s I found BDCP open to everyone and for a large percentage of OCS quotas. Don't know when that changed. Maybe Blue 21 will open up more in time just like BDCP

Elder

US Coast Guard C-130 Demonstration Team
Are you kidding me? Wow, I can't believe she's the first for the CG after all this time.

It's just one of those things. When I went through OCS in 1999, one of our Platoon Officers had attended flight school. She didn't say why she wasn't wearing wings ... assuming DOR'ed or attrited.

We also take a lot of people from "within" house... ie prior enlisted. Also have a butt load of prior Army guys... and I emphasize butt.

-E

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Oh, I'm with you...in fact I'm well aware of DCA (hint, hint). I was just surprised by the relative lack of diversity in CG aviation. Not a "good" or "bad" thing, just an observation.

Elder

US Coast Guard C-130 Demonstration Team
Eh ... most people are still shocked when they learn the Coast Guard has planes ... Still run into a few they are surprised to learn we have helicopters... :|

Cool thing about Janine.. she doesn't let that sort of thing phase her. True professional and squared away Coastie. She'll go far on her merits if she doesn't out grow it first.