• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Car Help

Birdbrain

pilot
I'm currently looking at a new car because my old undergrad mobile is on its last legs and I'll need reliable transportation. When you were a new ensign (or as you are now), what kind of vehicle would you have found preferable? One with more space for luggage and passengers like an SUV? One with a cheaper price and better fuel economy like a compact car? Utility doesn't matter just get what you like most? Any opinion on this topic would be helpful.

Thanks.

Renegade One

None
The classic Ensignmobile is something like a 1963 Corvette convertible. You'll have plenty of time later in life for SUVs, Volvos and minivans.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Once you get that shiny gold bar fellows will be lining up to sell you a nice car...new stereo...nice clothes...anything you want...just sign here for 400 easy payments!

nukon

pilot
I liked having a 4WD SUV/truck because flight school had me moving to a different beach every 5-9 months for 2 years, and I preferred to pocket some cash on DITY/PPM moves vs just letting the government to do it (and possibly losing/destroying my stuff) - to each their own.
Consider using the USAA Car Buying Service to a establish a haggle-free "no greater than" price. In many cases, you'll even be able to pay less than the USAA price.
Everybody is different, but no matter how economical/practical it may be, I think I'll always be too young to be old enough for the minivan or Prius. Our lives are sweet, live them sweetly

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Be a man, buy a truck. Then you won’t be harassing the rest of us men to come over and help you out with our trucks...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Ultimately, I don't think being an Ensign requires any specific vehicle and I'd go with your personal preference. I had a civic and I managed to do a handful of DITY moves renting trucks and putting my car on a trailer. In fact, I think having a smaller vehicle helped so I wasnt lugging a massive F250 diesel behind the truck during the moves. To each, his own.

exNavyOffRec

do your friends and future classmates a favor, find a Mazda Miata and buy it, that way they will always have something to laugh at. :D

honestly find something you like driving and do your research, there are many out there willing to take more of your money than you should be paying.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
do your friends and future classmates a favor, find a Mazda Miata and buy it, that way they will always have something to laugh at. :D

Funny you say that, when I first checked into Whiting, the Commodore came and spoke to our class. Somehow we got to discussing cars and he asked what ENSs/2ndLTs were driving now days. Cue the usual chorus of trucks, Mustangs, etc. Well one poor soul pipes up with Miata, the Commodore just gives him a funny look and asks “Really?” and the room bursts out laughing.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Whew! Glad nobody asked me that in flight school. I drove a Ford Taurus back then.

Still saving for my ensign mobile... ;)

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I have a Ram 1500 regular cab that I've had since before OCS. Currently I'm looking at trading it in because now that I'm done with all the moves for the most part, I can't justify 15 mpg for the commute any more. Looking at picking up something like a 2015 Camry since it'll cost less than half in terms of gas and maintenance than the Hemi, and 3-year-old Camries are about the same as the trade-in value of my 6-year-old truck (~15k). If I had to do it all again, I'd strongly consider starting out with something Camry-like and using a box truck for all the moves like Baconator said.

If you do go with the pickup though, don't get a regular cab. It sucks only being able to take one other person in the truck for those JO lunches.

+1 on the USAA car buying service, and I'd also recommend shopping a few different dealerships for similar vehicles, and asking them to give you their best prices, then sort of play them off each other until you get the best deal from one of them. I know you said new, but I'd at least consider buying something like two years old, that way you're not spending nearly as much on depreciation.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
A basic, reliable sedan. Bonus points for partial electric since you can charge for free at Whiting (and I think Corpus).

jnav3

I went for a 3rd gen. Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4. It was a toss-up between that, a 4Runner, and the new Subaru Impreza and Forester. I wanted something utilitarian (including a median-rated tow capacity) and adventurous. I do a lot of camping and go on extended road trips and I wanted something more capable than my old Scion xB.

Malo83

Keep the Faith
Buick Regal GS with the turbo 2.0, the remaining 2017's are priced to move quick, performance and economy in a mid sized sedan, ask me how i know. :D

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
F-250. Bonus points if you park it under the solar panels at whiting....it keeps the car way cooler when you hop back in.
You know my trick! I also park in the “Fuel Efficient Vehicle” spaces as I get better mileage towing than any other car or gas truck...plus I can tune it for efficiency...although I prefer performance with the 7.3...also fits in compact spaces with effort...FEC6C238-78F6-414B-BA97-D79FA50AA4E7.png