• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy DCO recommendation letter question

PRarce2

Good Morning All,
I am a newbie to air warriors and I am trying to get my package by the end of this month. My question is the recommendation letters. I have one officer that says he will put my recommendation letter on command letterhead, and the other say he won't put it on command letter but is willing to write it the recommendation, but the second is asking how should the letter be written. I sent it to him in double space format (because of college writing) he asked if it should be kept that way. I think it should be in standard correspondence format but can't find anything that says that. Should it just be included on the DD-370?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
Good Morning All,
I am a newbie to air warriors and I am trying to get my package by the end of this month. My question is the recommendation letters. I have one officer that says he will put my recommendation letter on command letterhead, and the other say he won't put it on command letter but is willing to write it the recommendation, but the second is asking how should the letter be written. I sent it to him in double space format (because of college writing) he asked if it should be kept that way. I think it should be in standard correspondence format but can't find anything that says that. Should it just be included on the DD-370?

Each should be accompanied by a form DD-370. They can use the space provided, or say "See attached" and type it separately. Doesn't have to be on letterhead, but probably helps. I personally would not double space.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Good Morning All,

Your OR/Processor should be sending out the DD370 along with instructions to your references.

Renegade One

None
FWIW, people shouldn't be using command letterhead unless they are the CO.
Not even if you're an Ensign PAO and writing to Annheuser-Busch to see if they would provide your squadron a free F-4 drag chute with the Budweiser logo on it that you promise will only be used on X-C flights all over the nation? Seemed soooo right at the time… :cool:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
@PRarce2 - sir, by the way, looking at your profile page, I don't think you can commission as a SWO into the reserves. I have also never heard of "Navy UAV officer" as a designator, so I am not sure what it is, but I would estimate that Navy UAV drivers who are officers are 131x's.

The Navy doesn't typically DIRCOM into URL designators. According to this website, the sole exception to the reserve DIRCOM URL rule-of-thumb is reserve SEAL officer, 1135, and in order to even qualify to apply for SEAL DIRCOM, you'd have to already be a current SELRES or IRR fully warfare qualified enlisted SEAL with NEC code 5323 (SEAL Delivery Vehicle Operator), 5326 (Special Warfare Operator SEAL), or 5392 (NSW Spec Ops Combat Medic).

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
RUFiO181 is correct, my OR said I shouldn't even be seeing the written letter. I gave my OR my references names and contact info and they corresponded directly with each other.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
FWIW, people shouldn't be using command letterhead unless they are the CO.
Well...I wouldn't ask someone to use official letterhead unless they are entitled to do so, and it's for a legitimate/official purpose. At the same time, if that person agreed to write me a LOR and it came back on letterhead, I'm not going to go back and ask for them to reprint it either.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well...I wouldn't ask someone to use official letterhead unless they are entitled to do so, and it's for a legitimate/official purpose. At the same time, if that person agreed to write me a LOR and it came back on letterhead, I'm not going to go back and ask for them to reprint it either.
I understand, just doing a little educating on what letterhead can be legitimately used for.