• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval aviation mishap films on PLAT, 8mm or home video

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Who collects carrier mishap films? Wheels coming off, barricade traps, cold cats.

Growing up I had two tapes that were aviation mishaps (mostly on carriers) set to music that my dad had acquired. One was from a Naval aviator doing an exchange in his squadron. I don't know where they are now, but the first one can be found on youtube in several parts. They are all on the same channel, here's the first:

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who collects carrier mishap films? Wheels coming off, barricade traps, cold cats.
I have a friend on a different website, who is a NavAir historian. He collects, and has a huge film/vidtape library of carrier operations including all types of carrier mishaps/close calls... day & night.
Gary is a former Navy AW1, carrier helicopter rescue crewman/swimmer. He is quite proficient in restoring/converting old carops films/tapes. I think he might be interested in sharing or swapping carops media with you, ESPECIALLY... if you have film/video of your flight deck ops on HMAS MELBOURNE, back in the day. My last visit down under (1983-84), on a ferry from Circ. Quay to Manly, got a good look at MELBOURNE, moored at a deserted old pier across harbor, devoid of her beloved Skyhawks, sadly awaiting her final fate!:(
CVA-61.gif
USS Ranger CVA-61) departing Sydney

Drop me a PM on here with your e-mail 'addy', & I'll try to get you and Gary "ChaffDog" together.;)
BzB
Member Bondi Diggers Club:cool:

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does anyone have access to that video of the SNA T-45, spinout close in - crash into the island on the LEX? Pretty sobering re: the inherent danger of CarOps, especially during the early carrier training of our future NA Warriors... "Not all choker whites, etc......."!:oops:

Also, these aren't mishap films, but a spectacular sequence of a Canadian CF-18 Hornet low level crash at an Airshow practice in Lethbridge Airport, Ontario. The 23 July, 2010 mishap photos show in detail, the efficiency of the Martin-Baker ejection system. The MB was the first, and still the finest of the low altitude/airspeed "zero- zero" ejection seats!:)

I personally ejected (@ 5k, not 100' AGL), using the Douglas RAPEC (Rocket Assisted Propulsion Ejection Catapult). It worked fine, and I believe at that time '66, was a kinder, gentler compression of the ol' spine, as the MB hadn't shifted yet from shotgun to rocket.
*Note in sequence photo #1, the twin rocket flame as the seat/pilot "liftoff" out of the cockpit! In seq. #2, seat/man separation has occurred with chute already streaming prior to A/C impact. #3, chute fully deployed as A/C nose impacts ground. #4, Pilot well separated from the "fireball at the gates of hell":eek:
BzB
CF-18-1.jpgCF-18-2.jpgCF-18-3.jpgCF-18-4.jpg

Joe Kaposi

Growing up I had two tapes that were aviation mishaps (mostly on carriers) set to music that my dad had acquired. One was from a Naval aviator doing an exchange in his squadron. I don't know where they are now, but the first one can be found on youtube in several parts. They are all on the same channel, here's the first:

Its just too bad this video was'nt uploaded at better resolution as there is a lot of good stuff on it.

Joe Kaposi

LSO school puts out a product like this.
No they do not. I had some good relations with two CO's at the LSO School a few years ago so i was able to get some stuff for my collection. The current CO has never answered an email from me. I know the school has masses of stuff, but its not as though they release any of it.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think BzB was looking for the crash on the LEX...he was looking for the t-45 mishap where the stud tried trapping with a blown right tire, missed the wires, and ended up sideways off the angle, then flew into the bow.....

Joe Kaposi

I don't think BzB was looking for the crash on the LEX...he was looking for the t-45 mishap where the stud tried trapping with a blown right tire, missed the wires, and ended up sideways off the angle, then flew into the bow.....
Well he did mention Lex and crashing into the island. The crash your think of happened aboard JFK during 1998, i think the Lex may've even been out of service by that stage.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here a bunch of plat footage....A-5s, A-3s, F-4s, A-4s, F-8s, A-7s....saw a bunch of scooters ending up on their noses after the trap...assuming nose gear collapse. BzB, this ever happen to you?

Joe Kaposi

Here a bunch of plat footage....A-5s, A-3s, F-4s, A-4s, F-8s, A-7s....saw a bunch of scooters ending up on their noses after the trap...assuming nose gear collapse. BzB, this ever happen to you?

This is a good film, got to see it back in 76 when i was doing my training in the Aussie navy.