• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAMI whammy

staff03

Been hearing quite a few stories about people getting the big "NAMI whammy." Thought some of you who have experienced this or know someone who has might like to share exactly why this happened and when?

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
I've had a few friends former SNA's and now SNFO's who got the whammy. All because of the eyes. Eyes and sinuses are the problems that I see people come across.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Does getting anthro-ed out count as the whammy? I had a bud who was limited to one pipeline (Hercs) and apparently thats a no-go ... he wasn't that much of a freak, but I think it was sitting height that got him.

Rg9

pilot
Don't know/remember the current official standards, but 20/20 wasn't required for the NAMI physical. A lot of guys were getting issued glasses back in A-Pool because they fell within the correctable range (might have been 20/50 correctable to 20/20, but don't quote me on that).

I guess they were happy that they still got to be pilots, but those glasses are the gayest things the Navy could ever issue someone...

For what it's worth, it didn't seem like a large % of guys were dropped when I went through it in '06. And as long as you pass it, except for some rare things, you're in. Don't lie to them, but don't give them anything they can go with (1 in. x NOMI = 1 mi.). I had some stuff that had been waived years ago, but when they started looking through my record, they started questioning it. I had to interject and say that it was all previously waived as no problem.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Does getting anthro-ed out count as the whammy? I had a bud who was limited to one pipeline (Hercs) and apparently thats a no-go ... he wasn't that much of a freak, but I think it was sitting height that got him.

I believe it's the same for Marine's, but with the Navy you have to be anthro-compatible with at least two platforms to start the pipeline. Otherwise...whammy.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I got the NAMI Whammy in 2000 for distant vision (20/40).....I switched to NFO the next day.......got winged after flight school....fought my way back to the front seat after PRK....drink plenty of water, get LOTS of rest, and remember that how well your eye is lubricated factors into how well you will see.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Some people tend to get the whammy for Anthro when they are perfectly within regs. The problem is that NAMI/NOMI screw up the measurements almost all the time. Most people never realize it because its not enough to completely screw you. But if they tell you that your measurements disqualify you for anything, go back and make them re-measure you, and pay attention to the guy doing it. I also know a few guys who had bad results on the vision test because that was given incorrectly also. Ever try to test depth perception with dialated pupils? Ive seen it.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
I got the NAMI Whammy in 2000 for distant vision (20/40).....I switched to NFO the next day.......got winged after flight school....fought my way back to the front seat after PRK....drink plenty of water, get LOTS of rest, and remember that how well your eye is lubricated factors into how well you will see.

Are you saying to use some eye-drops before the eye exam?

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot

There is nothing wrong with that, and I know some people who do. I actually had a flight surgeon tell me that when it gets harder to pass the vision test, drink a ton of water and then use eye drops before going in for the test.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know a guy who got whammied for a 'stomach lining too thin '.......not kidding on that one. I think it had something to do with him having ulcers, but I never thought that would be a disqualifier.......:confused:

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I don't think it is a good idea....I recommend making sure your eyes are making enough real tears....otherwise, they will be later, trust me.

I know a guy who got whammied for a 'stomach lining too thin '.......not kidding on that one. I think it had something to do with him having ulcers, but I never thought that would be a disqualifier.......:confused:
Sounds like he was a lightweight drinker to me!

I got the NAMI Whammy in 2000 for distant vision (20/40)

I thought that 20/40 was within the limits???
When I started in 2000 you needed 20/30, it moved to 20/40 in January 2001.

Rg9

pilot
You can do some eye exercises too that help. One that works well for me involves closing one eye and alternating focusing on my finger and a distant object (wait until your fingerprint is clear, and again until the far object is clear) - sort of like weight reps. Doing it before the exam is a good "warm up" exercise. Some people say it's crap, but hey, it works for me.

And I'm not surprised that they screw up things. It helps to know the regs/correct procedures going in.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
@comments #10 & 13

Good gouge if that works. I've never heard that before.

@#14

I just tried it. Way to complicated for me.