• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAMI Question

mshaff12

Pro Rec - SNA
I received a flight physical for the Marine Corps at NAMI in Pensacola back in February and passed as Class I for SNA. I've now decided to go to OCS with the Navy instead of Marine Corps, which will be sometime in June. Will this flight physical with the Marines cross over with Navy?

My Navy recruiter doesn't know much about the flight physical process and can't answer my question. All I know is that the flight physical lasts a year. Is there anyone in particular I can ask at OCS to figure this out?

I have no idea who to even talk to about this issue. It'd be great if I didn't have to do the flight physical again since I was on the boarder for my 20/40 vision in one eye. (i'm 20/25 normally, but the crowded-eye chart they use at NAMI screws with me)

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Did you get your physical at MEPS or MTF? Was one done within 90 days? If not, you'll have to get one done.

As for NAMI, your USMC NAMI information should transfer to Navy. But, you might have to redo some things.

mshaff12

Pro Rec - SNA
Did you get your physical at MEPS or MTF? Was one done within 90 days? If not, you'll have to get one done.

As for NAMI, your USMC NAMI information should transfer to Navy. But, you might have to redo some things.
I got my pre-commissioning physical done at Walter Reed, which substituted for MEPS. That was done back in November, so I'll probably have to get another one. My vision was determined to be 20/20 at my pre-comissioning physical. At NAMI I was not 20/20 but passed the 20/40. My hope is that I don't have to redo my vision test for NAMI. On the flight physical guidelines, it says only SNA applicants need 20/40, then all Class 1 qualifications afterwards only require 20/100. Since I already passed the NAMI physical for Marine Corps, maybe I don't need to get my vision re-checked for 20/40 at NAMI?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I got my pre-commissioning physical done at Walter Reed, which substituted for MEPS. That was done back in November, so I'll probably have to get another one. My vision was determined to be 20/20 at my pre-comissioning physical. At NAMI I was not 20/20 but passed the 20/40. My hope is that I don't have to redo my vision test for NAMI. On the flight physical guidelines, it says only SNA applicants need 20/40, then all Class 1 qualifications afterwards only require 20/100. Since I already passed the NAMI physical for Marine Corps, maybe I don't need to get my vision re-checked for 20/40 at NAMI?
Unless the physical will confer the one you do at OCS, you'll need to maintain 20/40. Essentially, until you commission, you are considered an applicant and not an "SNA", so if you have to do any physicals again prior to commissioning, consider your standards 20/40 or better. This is what the doc told me as he shook my hand and said "congrats" after reading 20/40 at my NAMI physical at OCS (dog-tired and dehydrated, since I read 20/20 normally). After that physical, he said 20/100 was good to go.

mshaff12

Pro Rec - SNA
Unless the physical will confer the one you do at OCS, you'll need to maintain 20/40. Essentially, until you commission, you are considered an applicant and not an "SNA", so if you have to do any physicals again prior to commissioning, consider your standards 20/40 or better. This is what the doc told me as he shook my hand and said "congrats" after reading 20/40 at my NAMI physical at OCS (dog-tired and dehydrated, since I read 20/20 normally). After that physical, he said 20/100 was good to go.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Do you have any ideas who I'd talk to once I get to OCS to see if my previous NAMI physical confers the one I do at OCS?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Do you have any ideas who I'd talk to once I get to OCS to see if my previous NAMI physical confers the one I do at OCS?
Medicals and flight physicals are all done electronically, so I'd talk to the docs/medical when you go at OCS and see if your qualifying physical is in the system when you get there. If it's still current and legit, it should count.

mshaff12

Pro Rec - SNA
Medicals and flight physicals are all done electronically, so I'd talk to the docs/medical when you go at OCS and see if your qualifying physical is in the system when you get there. If it's still current and legit, it should count.
Awesome, thanks!