• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My PRK Process and Timeline

OneOddGuy

Mrs. Crossdressing USA 2003 and 2005
I know alot of people ask about the PRK procedure, so I thought I would just post how mine went.

Dr. William H. Qualye
Houston Eye Associates
Houston (duh)
Surgery Time: Approx: 0930

Tuesday

Go to doctor for final preliminary checkup. Check eyes again and get prescription for two valium and disinfectant eye drops.

Wednesday

Arrive at surgery center 0800, go through various pre-operating room procedures, AKA read lots of magazines, sign paperwork, disinfect eye area, do Wavefront readings, take valium, pay $3400. :D

0930 Begin surgery in room about 20 degrees Farenheit. Not an exactly painful surgery, but annoying with eyelids being taped up/down with some kind of metal apparatus holding eyelids open. Lots of ice cold eyedrops. Anesthetic applied with squeege. Little squeegee like things wetting the eye and wiping the eye. Then they cleaned (I guess) the eye with this electric rotating toothbrush kind of thing. Hard to focus on the "little orange flashing light." Eyes getting very tired and felt like they might just roll back into my head; maybe it was just the valium. Actual laser procedure lasted about 30 seconds and smells like when you get you get teeth grinded/drilled; I've heard people it says like burning hair, but I don't know what that smells like. They did have a little suction tube that sucked the air in so at least it didn't linger. Repeat with left eye. *sigh* And whenever there is a period (.) in this paragraph add more ice cold eyedrops.

1015 Move to post-op room where you sit in big comfy recliners with those fancy aluminum foil blankets that work like a charm. Eyes very tired. (You're supposed to keep your eyes closed.) I can see the outline of the door across the hall and read the restroom sign, but there is an overall haze. Relax in here for about 30 minutes. I fall asleep for about 20 minutes. Nurse comes in to put "bandage contacts" in. They were supposed to do this in the OR, but for some reason they were having trouble. Before they put those in, it felt like I had something in my eye and hurt to blink. After they put the contacts in, it relieves the pain greatly.

1100 I am released and I can actually see. I can muthafrackin see. With a very very slight haze when trying to read (which I'm not). Extreme sensitivity to light. I am given a bag full of different teardrops, and extra tape for the plastic shields to wear when you sleep (which I am wearing as I leave) and prescriptions for Tylenol 3 (Codine) and sleeping pills.

1200 Get home, have lunch, take required/designated four hour sleep (with eye shields and after taking last valium).

1600 Wake up, have dinner, and watch King Kong, (only thing I can really do is relax, listen to the radio, or watch TV. (I had to type this in size 22 type.))
The movie gets a little blurry have way through. (My doctor said before the surgery I would become clear then get fuzzy then get clear again.) I can still see what time it is, but it has a fuzziness to it. Lights do have a halo/haze.

2200 Take sleeping pill, 30 minutes later try to go to sleep (with eye shields). Even with pill don't fall asleep till around 2400.

Thursday

0900 Wake up, do antibotic drops, take Centrum, take two regular Exedrin painkillers, and 1000 mg of Vitamin C. Feel fine for about 30 minutes till left eye occasionally hurts fairly bad. Not till after doctor's check up (1100) does the right one start to hurt. Go home, do rewetting drops, then later use pain killer drops. I can still see fairly well. Take a one hour nap.

1300 Wake up from nap, eyes hurting still, but a bit milder. Use antibotic drops. Wearing sunglasses everywhere, sometimes even inside.

<end for now (1400, Wed), will update later> :)

OneOddGuy

Well, it's Monday now, and the last 3-4 days have pretty much been the same routine, just with less pain each day. (The pain really stopped on Saturday).

Four times a day I have to take 2 different eye drops.
If needed, I can use rewetting drops every hour.
I take 1000mg of Vitamin C every day.
I take a Centrum.
I have to sleep with the stupid eye shields, although last night I didn't because my cat stole one. (I found it).
You can take a Codeine and/or a sleeping pill, but Friday night was the last night I did that.

I also had to go in for doctor visits, even if they only lasted 5 freakin minutes every day but Sunday. I was supposed to go in today, but apparently the doctor is sick (AKA golfing).

My light sensitivity is much better now, AKA I can actually go outside without my eyeballs bursting into flames.

My vision starts out great when I wake up, but at night it is pretty blurry regarding lights. I can drive (although I shouldn't) at night, but lots of halos and starbursts. It's like regular objects are clear, but signs and highlights are a bit fuzzy. I think alot of that has to do with the contacts, which should be taken out tommorrow.

I'll make one final post later to compare my before and after vision numbers.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
Congrats dude, you're through the rough part. I remember being where you are now, every day I'd wake up and try to read my room mates Jack Daniels poster (since the label of a JD bottle has various sized text, I used it as a makeshift eye chart) from across the room, and every few days being able to read something smaller. No more mornings where the light was too bright even through closed eyes. Yea, the bandage lenses will mess up your vision, and you'll be hazy from the healing process (Doc prolly described it to you) for just under a week. Don't sweat it, it's normal. The dryness will last a few months, but you'll get used to it. Welcome to the club :)

A6-EA6

None
The dryness varies from one person to another, but from my own informal poll and experience, if you ween yourself off of the lubricating drops, your eyes will start to make their own tears again. If you keep using the drops, the eyes have no reason to make tears.

I used the drops as prescribed for about six months and got sick of waking up and having to use them. After I scaled back on them at night and during the day, I was able to stay off them all of the time and haven't used any in over a year (I'm 2 yrs post-op now).

HOORAH

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
Also about wetting drops... I thought I had dry eyes But my eye doctor told me that I make plenty of tears I just don't make the right kind of tears. He told me to take Omega 3 Fatty acids, like fish oil pills. I wasn't getting the right amount of natural oils to actually lubricate my eyes dispite my eyes watering all the time. That has helped a lot. Plus they're just good for you so why not? Just a thought that youmight not have heard before.

ItsTurboTime

I'm two days into my third week after the procedure, and I'm experiencing pretty tired eyes by about 8pm. Also, I'm still getting pretty good starbursts around light sources at night. I have an eye doc appointment on Saturday where I'll ask him about this stuff, but I was just wondering if any of you have experienced this. It may be related to my large pupils and light colored eyes.

SpiderUSMC

ItsTurboTime said:
I'm two days into my third week after the procedure, and I'm experiencing pretty tired eyes by about 8pm. Also, I'm still getting pretty good starbursts around light sources at night. I have an eye doc appointment on Saturday where I'll ask him about this stuff, but I was just wondering if any of you have experienced this. It may be related to my large pupils and light colored eyes.

I had really bad tired eyes Turbo. It would be tough to watch TV after 10 pm.

I have had some bad burning on my lower eyelids the past few days, and my theory is that the non-perservative free eye drops are not reacting well with me. So I switched back today and we'll see if it works. Anyone else have this? I had my surgery 4 weeks ago.

Jeff29

Science Project
ItsTurboTime said:
Starbursts are normal while you are recovering. Did the surgeon measure your pupil size while your eyes were fully dilated? If so, how large were your pupils?

OneOddGuy

ItsTurboTime said:

I got mine done the 16th as said above, so I guess that is about two weeks ago, and I usually start with pretty good vision in the morning, which deteriorates throughout the day. My eyes don't really get "tired" but I do have some pretty nice halos and starbursts at night. My doctor told me this would be the norm. Something about 99.9% if the eye being healed, we just happen to see with that .1% or some other nonsense. :)

SpiderUSMC

The starburts should get better. At 4 weeks (tomorrow) mine is probably 50% of what it was at 2 weeks. And the vision deterioration will also go away fairly quickly after two weeks.

ItsTurboTime

Good to hear, thanks everyone.

Yeah, she looked at my pupils, said "wow you have really big pupils", then told me they were 8. I'm not really sure how big is really big.