• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My FAA First Class Medical Journey

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
In addition to that. If anyone has ever gotten a sleep study, make sure you follow up on that. I was told by my flight surgeon at the time that a mild central sleep apnea wasn't grounding and nothing to worry about in the future. I took his word at that, and didn't think anything of it. Come discharge time, the VA guys put that in my disability paperwork and got a 30% from that.

Fast forward to renewing my medical and I made sure to put every disability from my VA paperwork on there to make sure I didn't run into the crap that some other people are with losing their certs. Well, turns out mild sleep apnea is a big deal for the FAA and I'm currently in a short holding pattern while I finish my sleep study, and then go from there. Likely I'll have to get a CPAP and be on it for an yet to be determined amount of time before receiving my medical.

I think the reason the flight surgeon didn't say anything is because I was due to deploy in about three to four months and it would have taken longer than that to get everything done. In hindsight, I wouldn't have had a problem with that had he told me to take care of it when I got back. However, that's not what I was told. Yeah, I should have looked into it myself, but I didn't and now I'm paying for that little mistake.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
In addition to that. If anyone has ever gotten a sleep study, make sure you follow up on that. I was told by my flight surgeon at the time that a mild central sleep apnea wasn't grounding and nothing to worry about in the future. I took his word at that, and didn't think anything of it. Come discharge time, the VA guys put that in my disability paperwork and got a 30% from that.

Fast forward to renewing my medical and I made sure to put every disability from my VA paperwork on there to make sure I didn't run into the crap that some other people are with losing their certs. Well, turns out mild sleep apnea is a big deal for the FAA and I'm currently in a short holding pattern while I finish my sleep study, and then go from there. Likely I'll have to get a CPAP and be on it for an yet to be determined amount of time before receiving my medical.

I think the reason the flight surgeon didn't say anything is because I was due to deploy in about three to four months and it would have taken longer than that to get everything done. In hindsight, I wouldn't have had a problem with that had he told me to take care of it when I got back. However, that's not what I was told. Yeah, I should have looked into it myself, but I didn't and now I'm paying for that little mistake.

Wow. Good luck dude

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So how are you guys handling your VA stuff on medicals? When I got my 1st Class, I didn't have my rating yet, so it was easy to blow by that question. One of my notated VA items was on my last medical already, so not worried about that, but the other stuff (mostly joint issues) will be new. The one thing that actually has a paper trail (other than the issue I just mentioned) is just about recovered, but required physical therapy. Just worried getting paperwork will delay the process when I go for my 2nd Class in a few months.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I forgot what I originally put but I think I told the FAA doctor what each item was and he wrote his statement that it doesn't affect my flying. But for the last 20 years it been "Previously reported, no changes". I got 30% from the VA for arthritis in my knees.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I guess I'll have to work with them to make sure it's written well.

Second question: I'm assuming you just inform the AME about the items that you're being compensated for/rated at and not the other items that are 0%?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I told them everything that was on the va paperwork. It may have caused a slight inconvenience for me now, but I will never have to look over my shoulder about anything which I think is well worth it. My only regret was not trying to get my medical done earlier while still on active. I waited because I didn’t want to lose two or three months while I didn’t need it. In hind sight I should have just done it as soon as I got my disability ratings back.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Copy all. I've got two items that are 0% that may end up causing some admin hassle, so guess I'll have to plan for that. I may give AOPA a call as well and see what they recommend.

One more: I don't remember finding this in my perusal of the medical section of the FAA's site, but is there any disability trigger percentage for automatic disapproval (other than 100%)?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Try these guy. They are used by ALPA. They charge a fee unless you're a client otherwise (ALPA) but they are good. My guess is they know more than AOPA about 1st class physicals.

Aviation Medicine Advisory Service
7000 S. Yosemite Street, Suite 110
Centennial, CO 80112

(720) 857-6117

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Try these guy. They are used by ALPA. They charge a fee unless you're a client otherwise (ALPA) but they are good. My guess is they know more than AOPA about 1st class physicals.

Aviation Medicine Advisory Service
7000 S. Yosemite Street, Suite 110
Centennial, CO 80112

(720) 857-6117

Appreciate that. My next physical will be a 2nd class. I got the 1st class in anticipation of CBP, but that interest has waned. But regardless, it's good to have another resource before going in when your livelihood is on the line.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You got to put it all on the second class too. But when you go for the first class again you can than do the "previously reported, no changes".

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Copy all. I've got two items that are 0% that may end up causing some admin hassle, so guess I'll have to plan for that. I may give AOPA a call as well and see what they recommend.

One more: I don't remember finding this in my perusal of the medical section of the FAA's site, but is there any disability trigger percentage for automatic disapproval (other than 100%)?

What's your source for 100% being an auto disapproval?

I have a 1st class, and I gave all paperwork to the doc and the FAA stating all discrepancies and the 100% rating... no issues. 1st Class was issued.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Buried in there is a great bit of gouge about the Hilton honors vet program. Didn't know that existed. Would have been awesome to know in the last couple months having done CTP as well as various airline hunt related trips. Will file away for future use, thanks for that!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What's your source for 100% being an auto disapproval?

None. Poor wording and a mental jump on my part. I was wrongly equating something like a missing limb with 100%, which I know isn't the same thing. I shouldn't have said "disapproval" either, more like "waiver required," which is what I equate the medical review with.

All that said, I'm at 60%, but don't have much paperwork that would be beneficial other than for one condition. Everything else is really old documentation for things that are usually asymptamatic or was given for future benefits (like joint pain). I guess that's why I'm concerned going in, especially when obviously my job requires the medical.