• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My CEC officer interview experience 062213

mzmtg

CEC DCO Appplicant
This weekend I finished up my reserve DCO application package with interviews by CEC officers at my local Seabee unit, 3NCR in Marietta, GA. Hopefully this information will be helpful to future applicants.

I met with three officers together: an O-3 with prior enlisted service, an O-4, and an O-5 with primarily active duty service. The setting was informal with the officers in their typical drill weekend uniform of Type III NWUs. They each introduced themselves and told me a little bit about their Navy careers thus far.

The first questions they had for me focused on why I wanted to join the Navy and the CEC in particular. I told them about my personal motivations for joining and how I thought my professional experiences will serve me well as a junior officer. They were interested in my personnel management experience as this is the primary responsibility of junior officers.

They were interested in how much I already knew about the Seabees and the CEC. The context was not a knowledge quiz, but they were trying to gauge how much they needed to tell me about what I might be getting into. They described how the Seabees are different from a typical Navy unit and what different duties a new junior officer would expect to undertake. They spent some time trying to describe the changes going on in the NCF right now. Several units are decommissioning at the end of FY13 (including theirs, 3NCR) and the picture of the immediate future was not very clear. Their most current gouge was that a detachment of NMCB14 was going to move into their facility in Marietta, GA when 3NCR is gone, but that was still not set in stone.

We spoke about my employer’s positions on reserve service and how my family would be prepared both for regular drilling and possibly long deployments. Thankfully, my employer is very supportive and my wife and I have discussed at length how we would be able to handle training and deployment obligations.

The bulk of the session was me asking questions of them. I asked them about the different jobs they had done within the Seabees and other parts of the CEC. I asked which jobs or duties they enjoyed the most. We spoke at length about additional training & service opportunities & obligations beyond the drill weekends and annual training. My major concern was that in my first year as a DCO I would be required to attend DCOIC and then attend CECOS Basic in my second year. I wanted to know how I could meet those obligations without missing out on the unit’s normal training activities. They told me that the main factor in those situations was my employer and how I could coordinate Navy training and my work obligations. Obviously, every person’s situation is different on that front. They wanted to make it clear that a new junior officer should expect to spend quite a lot of time beyond the monthly drill weekend with Navy duties. There is a lot of day to day activity to stay on top of as well as training requirements and just getting up to speed with Navy life. They did say that it gets better after the first couple of years.

I think they turned the general format of the interview around to get an idea of how much research I had done into their community and what sort of picture I had of the real obligations of a reserve officer beyond what one finds in the recruiter’s pamphlets. We didn’t get into formal interview questions such as “What is your management style?” or “What have been your greatest accomplishments/failures?” or those types of questions, though I was prepared for them. They didn’t get into my academic career or any extracurricular activities, but I have been out of school for 12 years.

They wrapped it up by encouraging me not to get discouraged if I’m not picked up the first time around. They stressed that not being selected was not necessarily an indication that I’m not qualified or competitive, but that there are a lot of factors that come into play with who gets selected when. I let them know that I plan to reapply as many times as I can, should that be necessary.

So now my recruiter can finalize my package and get it sent to the board. :cool:

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Congrats on what appearse to be a very successful interview!

I hope it isn't considered thread jacking, but I will say that my CEC DCO interviews went very differently than yours. First, all three of mine were done separately. As a result a lot of questions were asked across multiple interviews. My first interview was very much as your interview was described with respect to questions. My second was more of what I was expecting. The officer, an O3, posed questions about what I would do in situations in which a SEABEE divo might find herslf, management style, greatest failure, etc. The first two interviews took place at their offices, which were both at Naval installations given that the first worked for NAVFAC as a civilian and simply 'changed clothes' to drill at the same location. The other is AD and we met at the office. The third was with a prior enlisted O4 and we met at a local Panera. After getting coffee and sitting down she looked over my resume again briefly, asked a couple of questions on it and then just talked to me about what my responsibilities would be, career progression, basics that I need to know for my SCW pin qual, etc. It was a really great, relaxed meeting. We have even kept in touch via e-mail since then.

Oh, as a side note I was given contact information, email and phone, for each of my interviewers from my OR/accessions officer and it was up to me to coordinate the interviews. As such I wound up having exactly 1 hour to prepare for the first interview--I hadn't even had the chance to buy a new suit as I had planned! I did have the new suit for the subsequent interviews though. :)

Did you have to organize the panel style interview or did your OR do that?

mzmtg

CEC DCO Appplicant
Did you have to organize the panel style interview or did your OR do that?

My OR scheduled the interview. I did ask ahead of time if they would be interviewing me as a group or individually, but she told me she didn't know as different officers have different preferences. Although, when I showed up, there was a little bit of confusion as to exactly who would be interviewing me and where. Of course, a Master Chief stepped up and got all the officers wrangled together and into the same room at the same time ;)

My only input was whether or not I was available on weekends.

Apparently, different ORs give different levels of applicant information to the interviewers before hand. In my case, the OR had sent only my resume and the blank appraisal sheets ahead of time.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Apparently, different ORs give different levels of applicant information to the interviewers before hand. In my case, the OR had sent only my resume and the blank appraisal sheets ahead of time.

That I believe! I was responsible for sending my resume, motivational statement, and appraisal sheets to the interviewers when I made first contact.

I am really glad your interviews went well! It always pays to trust the Chief to get things done. :)

Glad that you interviewed with people in the Reserve NCF, and at the Regiment level. Looks like they gave you a pretty good overview of the workload that will be expected, which is on the top items that catch people off-guard. Lots of changes coming to the NCF.... everyone is standing by right now.

LegoNavy

Hi mzmtg,

Thanks for the insight into the DCO interview process! Like PenguinGal, my interview process was different, but that also might be because I'm going for active duty.

I only had 1 interview, with a CEC Accessions Officer who is an 03. My OR organized the interview, but I was in constant contact with my OR about scheduling it and letting my OR know that I wanted to do the interview ASAP. As for the interview itself, it seems that I had a combination of both mxmtg and PenguinGal. The interview began with the LT asking me what I know about the Navy and the CEC specifically, and why I wanted to join and what exactly I would do to contribute to the community. Like what mzmtg said, part of it felt like the LT just wanted to gauge how much of the CEC I knew, so that he could help explain parts of the community I did not know about. It definitely felt like as much as he was gauging how good of a fit I would be for it, he wanted to make sure I knew what the CEC was about and that it was a good fit for me.

After the introductory questions he went over my resume and asked questions about my schooling and extracurricular activities. I was president of a college engineering vehicle team so he asked a lot of questions about management and working with other engineering students to build something on a budget and timeline, as that seemed like pertinent experience to the CEC community.

After the questions about my resume, he then proceeded to give me situational interview questions, where I had to come up with plans for how I would organize a team to do a specific task (he seemed to make up the task on the spot), as well as asking me how I would respond to various problems that could arise in a team environment and how I would repond to them. Although I don't have military experience, I answered the questions the best I could and gave him my reasons for why I made the choices I did. In the end, it seemed he was more interested in my reasoning for my decisions, and the fact I did have reasons for all my choices seemed to help. And then that was my interview!

I guess to summarize about my interview/ give advice, I'll say this:
In the end, the interview format was pretty typical for any type of job interview. The main preparation I recommend for applicants is research the CEC, what they do, and why you feel you would be a contribution to the community. And really think about your life and your experiences, and where you want to go with your life, and find out why you want to join the Navy and the CEC. Don't be over the top cliche, but be honest with yourself and your interviewer. These guys are some of the best officers in the CEC, that's why they are the ones filtering applicants and giving their good scores to ones they believe would become good CEC officers, so don't try to bullshit them. (That last part was advice my friend who is in the CEC told me). Don't freak out about any kind of situation quizes, I felt with the ones I was given he wanted me to quickly pull something off the top of my head. Just make sure you have method to your madness.

In any case, good luck mzmtg! And good luck to any other applicants out there! From the sounds of it, the CEC is getting harder and harder to get into, but like mzmtg said, if you really want it, don't give up, even if it takes a few applications.