• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC MV-22 combat loss in Yemen

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
https://news.usni.org/2017/01/30/1-...in-yemen-uss-makin-island-supported-operation

From this weekend, more details emerging - in addition to the loss of one of our best and brightest heroes, the after action report revealed one of the MV-22's on the insertion had to be destroyed in place after suffering damage on landing.

I think this may be the first combat loss of a MV-22. There was a combat loss of an AFSOC CV-22 prior to this but I believe this is the first actual combat loss of MV-22.

GroundPounder

https://news.usni.org/2017/01/30/1-...in-yemen-uss-makin-island-supported-operation

From this weekend, more details emerging - in addition to the loss of one of our best and brightest heroes, the after action report revealed one of the MV-22's on the insertion had to be destroyed in place after suffering damage on landing.

I think this may be the first combat loss of a MV-22. There was a combat loss of an AFSOC CV-22 prior to this but I believe this is the first actual combat loss of MV-22.

I realize that there are an endless number of variables that will come into play, and that there is not one final answer, but at what level would the decision be made to destroy a damaged piece of equipment on the ground? Is this something that is included in a pre-mission brief, or covered by standing orders?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I realize that there are an endless number of variables that will come into play, and that there is not one final answer, but at what level would the decision be made to destroy a damaged piece of equipment on the ground? Is this something that is included in a pre-mission brief, or covered by standing orders?

I had heard that in any penetration type of offensive mission SOP is to carry thermite grenades with the express purpose of destroying vehicles or aircraft left behind.

My guess is they were in Indian country with potential to be outnumbered quickly if they stayed, so exfil in remaining aircraft, after destroying the crippled aircraft.