• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Multiple Ejections

exNavyOffRec

I was at my chiropractors today and the guy before me was a former USN pilot, he was describing to my (our) chiropractor the 3 different times he had to eject from aircraft, I was kind of surprised since once would be rare enough.

Python

pilot
Contributor
I was at my chiropractors today and the guy before me was a former USN pilot, he was describing to my (our) chiropractor the 3 different times he had to eject from aircraft, I was kind of surprised since once would be rare enough.

Today I heard from a physiologist that he knows of a guy with 5. I'm also pretty sure Jack Douglass in Meridian has 3 or 4 under his belt.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
There was an old sim instructor in Kingsville who had 3 ejections. One of them was in a T-2 and his student didn't live through it. His son was also killed in a B-52 ejection on a night low level (the BN's seats ejected out of the belly).

I wish I could remember his name. He was a real Santa Claus IP, but he was good at instrument instruction. To be honest I think they kept him around out of respect, and to keep studs interested in learning about how it was in the old days. Last I heard he was battling prostate cancer.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I looked up the guy, he had 2 ejections in 6 weeks, in one he landed in crater lake in Oregon
From the bowels of the Wayback Machine, a reference in passing from one of his many, many former students, who himself was taken too soon. During one of my own . . . umm . . . rite-of-passage EP sims, I remember him mentioning mid-rant that he liked his 250-knot ejection better than his 450-knot ejection. IIRC, said rant started because he didn't like where I chose to punch out.
Is he still there? I've heard rumors of his firing for years, not even sure he's still around?
Supposedly around the 2009 timeframe he got an ass-chewing from the then current CTW-1, or so said the student rumor mill of the time. Rumor had it that he begrudgingly toned it down in order to not get fired.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
There was an old sim instructor in Kingsville who had 3 ejections. One of them was in a T-2 and his student didn't live through it. His son was also killed in a B-52 ejection on a night low level (the BN's seats ejected out of the belly).

I wish I could remember his name. He was a real Santa Claus IP, but he was good at instrument instruction. To be honest I think they kept him around out of respect, and to keep studs interested in learning about how it was in the old days. Last I heard he was battling prostate cancer.

The instructor you are talking about retired during my time there and moved down to Alabama (Lilian I think?). His son was a WSO who was killed, but it was a F-111 that went down in the North Sea off England. To your last point, there were several instructors in Kingsville that definitely needed to be updated on the way things actually happened in the real world.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
From the bowels of the Wayback Machine, a reference in passing from one of his many, many former students, who himself was taken too soon. During one of my own . . . umm . . . rite-of-passage EP sims, I remember him mentioning mid-rant that he liked his 250-knot ejection better than his 450-knot ejection. IIRC, said rant started because he didn't like where I chose to punch out.

Supposedly around the 2009 timeframe he got an ass-chewing from the then current CTW-1, or so said the student rumor mill of the time. Rumor had it that he begrudgingly toned it down in order to not get fired.

That's BS. Enduring JDizzle was part of the harassment package.

F'in snowflakes.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Wow, crazy. And I agree……getting through the 4 horsemen was a rite of passage. I wouldn't say it was always entirely productive, but getting through them ultimately gave you some confidence that you could probably get through more realistic problems as well. More of a santa claus type (at least if you shined your boots), but I remember "Mr K" debriefing one of my RI flights one time, and saying something to the effect of "one day you are going to have to fly the best PAR of your life, or you are going swimming". Flash forward a few years, and I was in the Persian Gulf, flying a night case III taxi light on approach after the ship drove into a fog bank. Broke out in close/at the ramp, had one power and lineup correction, and stopped. I remember that quote reverberating in my mind as I was clearing the LA and trying to get my legs to stop shaking long enough to hold the brakes.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Wow, crazy. And I agree……getting through the 4 horsemen was a rite of passage. I wouldn't say it was always entirely productive, but getting through them ultimately gave you some confidence that you could probably get through more realistic problems as well. More of a santa claus type (at least if you shined your boots), but I remember "Mr K" debriefing one of my RI flights one time, and saying something to the effect of "one day you are going to have to fly the best PAR of your life, or you are going swimming". Flash forward a few years, and I was in the Persian Gulf, flying a night case III taxi light on approach after the ship drove into a fog bank. Broke out in close/at the ramp, had one power and lineup correction, and stopped. I remember that quote reverberating in my mind as I was clearing the LA and trying to get my legs to stop shaking long enough to hold the brakes.

Shack. No place for peoples feelings, getting passed those guys was a mile stone.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Shack. No place for peoples feelings, getting passed those guys was a mile stone.
My last EP sim before TRACOM CQ was with good old J-Dizzle. I remember thinking just one more time in the damn box, then bounces and ACM for the rest of the syllabus. Just one more time I have to dodge that son of a bitch . . . (looks at schedule) . . . God DAMN IT.

Rolling out in the groove the first time a few weeks later, I was grateful for all the screaming, yelling, and general mind games. Plenty of practice in just shutting that little doubting voice in your head down, and just going to work.

That said, that style of instruction is best applied in small doses, or it's not "instruction," it's just hazing.