• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mt Baker Climb and Why Growlers Insist On Night Pattern Work at 11 PM

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Just back from completing the Mountaineering and Alpinism I Course at American Alpine Instituit out of Bellingham, WA - including a 5 day climb of Mt Baker. Highly recommend AAI as an organization - phenomenal instruction and staff. It is all about the gear - so for a gear queer head like me it was ideal. Probably the most physically demanding thing I have done in my life btw.

http://www.alpineinstitute.com/catalog/alpinism-1-introduction-to-mountaineering/

Camped a night on Whidbey - to the fucking Growler crews who insist on doing night pattern work at 11 PM, thank you for the restful sleep :)

Waved daily to the boys flying Whidbey SAR - your orange door Sierra's were a welcome sight!
unnamed.jpg

IMG_20160727_164328-01.jpeg GOPR4780-01.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    653 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2074.jpg
    IMG_2074.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • GOPR0508.jpg
    GOPR0508.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 21
  • G0030382.jpg
    G0030382.jpg
    679 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Camped a night on Whidbey - to the fucking Growler crews who insist on doing night pattern work at 11 PM, thank you for the restful sleep :)

The sun sets so late up there that is prime time for night FCLP's, they go as late as 0200-0300 some nights.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Mt Baker is indeed "Leave No Trace" - literally had to downclimb with 7 pounds of my own fecal matter in mylar bags at the bottom of my pack.
View attachment 16067
But you're not doing a manly pose, showing your watch and giving a big thumbs up while wearing appropriate logo attire...

Dude....I would have just kicked a bunch of snow over it and said I put it in the bag....that shit (literally) is biodegradable....

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
At 10,700' versus 29,000', I don't think Mt. Baker would have that problem.
Probably not - but there are a *lot* of people on Baker, despite its remoteness. I would say a few thousand people climb and many many more simply camp on the beauty of the glacier. I could see it being a problem if people didn't practice Leave No Trace.

I was skeptical too at first. But the feeling of drinking fresh glacier melt, without fear, is pretty awesome! I was also disappointed that the weight of the food I packed in more or less equaled the poo I packed out. Cruel joke there!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At 10,700' versus 29,000', I don't think Mt. Baker would have that problem.

If you read further into the article other mountains much lower than Everest have had to institute something to prevent littering, including human waste, on the mountain. I imagine with Baker being pretty popular and accessible they could have a similar problem if not vigilant.

sickboy

pilot
I did the same course and climb last summer. Great mountain and great organization. I try to get up that way semi regularly, let me know if you want a climbing partner. They're hard to find in Jax.