• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motorcycle riders thread

Sheepdip

Contributor
Who else out there rides? I recently went full tard and now primarily ride a DRZ400 SM. Not the fastest bike out there but I'll be damned if it doesn't leave a shit eating grin on my face every time I get off of it. Also have a dirt bike but currently have no where to ride. Hoping to get a cruiser that's better for longer rides sometime in the future.

Anyone else?

I grew up riding dirt bikes and in college I rode a 2004 Kawasaki ZX6-R. I sold it before I went to TBS though. Looking to buy another bike once I get down to Pensacola. I'll probably switch to a cruiser this time though.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I've got one myself and love it, although I really haven't had the chance to take it out much recently. It's a Harley Sportster that I turned into a Cafe Racer. I really like that style and it's fun making it your own since no one else has a bike like it.

Sheepdip

Contributor
I'd love to find a well built bobber/rat bike that is trust worthy enough for daily driver and/or long hauls. Don't know if I can justify the money for a new Harley. The new Forty-Eight looks awesome though.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Grew up riding dirt bikes, rode my dad's GPZ 550 to school before I drove a car. Currently riding an '06 ZX6R since I picked it up for a good price.
Though I have to say I like the look and ride of the Ulysses and the Multistrada but I'm not gonna spend that kind of cash on a bike at this point.

My main gripe with riding a sport bike was the uncomfortable position that you were forced to be in. They are a blast when you get to ride them on some nice twisties or a cloverleaf but it just wasn't practical as a daily driver/commuter type of bike. I'm looking for something more comfortable for my next bike, but I'm afraid I'll miss the maneuverability of the sportbike. I'm looking at:

1. Cruiser (Chopper/Bobber, love the look)
2. Ducati Monster style (sportbike but more upright riding stance)
3. Supermoto

I've heard that supermotos need rebuilt a lot because they're just single cylinder dirt bikes essentially. Sheepdip, how do you like yours? xj220, how do you like riding a cruiser/cafe racer?

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
That comfort factor depends on frame geometry. I actually dont mind the ZX6R, but I couldn't stand the GSXR. For the best of both worlds a really fun bike to ride is the Suzuki SV650. (Similar stance to the Monster) Comfortable posture, nice power, and great handling.

I never got into the supermotos. They need some tweaking to be comfortable, unless you get a purpose built one. Otherwise the suspension is off for street riding, if you think sportbikes are uncomfortable, I found supermotos worse on the street. The geometry is made for super snappy handling offroad, which does translate into snappy street handling, but for me was only comfortable doing gymkhana type stuff, anything longer than 30 minutes on the bike sucked. And they are single piston offroad engines. Which does make them easier to work on, but require more work.

An alternative to supermoto is modifying a crotch rocket to be a streetfighter. Take your favorite ZX6R, CBR, GSXr, etc, remove the plastic, remove the clip on grips, and swap for dirt bike handlebars. This moves you to a more upright posture and brings some of the dirt bike snappiness to the handling.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
When the Sportster was stock, it was really comfortable but it was originally the "Custom" model so it was meant to be ridden like a regular cruiser. Now in it's Cafe form it's not very comfortable because it is a sport bike stance. Most Cafes are either going to be upright or lean forward because they're meant to be small, light and for short trips winding through city streets and turns. For a sporty daily bike, they make sport touring models like the V-ROD but those get to be big bucks. People rag on the Sportster, but they are GREAT bikes and very underrated. They're smaller, cheaper and can be made to handle well (not sportbike level, but enough for a Harley) and with engine work, will smoke any other cruiser out there.

Crowbar

None
Super Moderator
A DR/DRZ sounds like a blast, but so does a KLR, KLX, CRF...you see where I'm going. I've been riding cruisers for almost five years and now I find them boring. I went through a "Must have a Concours/FJR" phase for a while and now I have a moto-boner for an adventure bike. I wouldn't mind getting a smaller bike like the ones I mentioned and keeping my cruiser, but I don't feel like doing upkeep on two bikes. So I'm looking at one of the bigger dual purpose types, with the Tiger Explorer and R1200Gs currently leading the pack. I hear, "Best bike ever" tossed around regarding the new KTM but I haven't even seen one in person yet. We have a lot of unpaved roads around here that can be done in a half day or a full day, and I want to find as many as possible. In addition to shorter trips, once or twice a year I ride 500+ miles in a day to get somewhere so I want to do it in style and comfort, but still have fun when I get there. Thus the desire for one big do-it-all bike. Once I have a new job lined up, I'm going to buy a nice retirement gift for myself. Something European and fast.

Sheepdip

Contributor
My main gripe with riding a sport bike was the uncomfortable position that you were forced to be in. They are a blast when you get to ride them on some nice twisties or a cloverleaf but it just wasn't practical as a daily driver/commuter type of bike. I'm looking for something more comfortable for my next bike, but I'm afraid I'll miss the maneuverability of the sportbike. I'm looking at:

3. Supermoto

I've heard that supermotos need rebuilt a lot because they're just single cylinder dirt bikes essentially. Sheepdip, how do you like yours? xj220, how do you like riding a cruiser/cafe racer?
Supermoto reliability is just like every other type of bike...a lot of it depends on the manufacturer. A DRZ400 or wr250x is going to be as bulletproof as bulletproof gets. I think the first valve check on a wr250x is at like 25k miles or something ridiculous like that. DRZ is a tested design that hasn't changed much in 15 years - parts are cheap and available....very popular bike. If you get something more exotic like Husqvarna/KTM/Aprilia the maintenance costs will be higher, but nothing crazy unless you have a catastrophic event. If you want to regularly ride on the highway or long distance I would get one of the husky/ktm/ape models. DRZ and 250x just aren't optimized for highway speeds. However, make sure you have a dealer that can service whichever brand you choose. Having to haul a bike 100 miles for service blows.

I'm also interested in a standard sport bike like a Monster, SV650 or FZ-09(drooooool). I almost bought a nice Sv650 a few weeks ago but someone got to it before I did. You should be able to find a nice SV650 for 3-5k depending on year. If you want bigger pucker factor go with the fz-09 off the bat. Incredible bike.

I think my perfect supermoto would be a Yamaha wr450x which they have yet to make. Some guys convert offroad 450s and get the plated but thier range blows. If Yamaha offered a 450x I'd be all over it. I think my next supermoto will probaby be a KTM 690 SMC though. Seem to be the most reliable of the bigger SM bikes.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
I love adventure dual sport type bikes. KLRs are the poor man's adventure bike, which is why I own one. Someday, I'll pick up a KTM Dakar or BMW GS. Until then, my single cylinder thumper is serving me just fine. This summer I'm taking a trip up the Rockies from South to North, and then going down the Oregon and California coast on highway 1

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor

3. Supermoto

I was in the same situation as you. I bought a new '07 CBR600RR after college. Owned it for 5 years but my back started killing me after anything longer than 30-45 minutes. And it also sucked bringing stuff or a lady friend with you. Doable, but sucked. Last April I traded up for a Harley. I wanted a cruiser and wanted American. I just searched craigslist until I found somebody who needed to sell quickly. I also got lucky because the previous owner had put a bunch of extra chrome on the bike, it was nice to let him pay for all that and the initial depreciation. I doubt I will every buy new again. My path led me to a beautiful used '07 Softail Standard (FSXTI). It was a little more $$ than I wanted to spend, but I figured with so much customization that can be done it you can make it your own, a la xj220. Toss on the saddle bags and it is great for trips. The larger bike also makes two-up riding much more fun. As for missing the maneuverability, it took a week or two to adjust my riding style. Now I just make sure to keep myself out of situations where I will need it, as much as you can when other cars and trucks seem to be trying to run you over.

For those riding Harley's and looking for Saddle Bags I highly recommend LeatherPros.

Attachments

Sheepdip

Contributor
Do you guys salute in helmet? What about wearing gear while not on the bike....remove jacket once you get off or wear it inside then remove it?

BigRed389

None
Do you guys salute in helmet? What about wearing gear while not on the bike....remove jacket once you get off or wear it inside then remove it?
Saluting? Hell no. If I have my helmet on it's because I'm on the bike.

Jacket/Other PPE depends on how long the walk is to get inside and "uptightness" of the command.