• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEU Artillery

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Someone mentioned in a previous thread about the MEU having a battery of six 155mm howitzers. Thought I would ask those more in the know, would not a MEU be better served by either 120mm mortars or 105mm howitzers (M119)? I would think the mobility of being carried internally by a CH-53E and being able to use a HMMMV as a prime mover would be more important for small scale MEU ops than the more powerful, but ponderous, 155mm. Also, can a V-22 carry either those two pieces internally?

Speaking of helicopters and artillery, had never heard of this before: a Chinook mounting two 105mm howitzers.

https://warisboring.com/the-armys-d...ng-helicopter-gunship-aa799eb9fc53#.vginwns06

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
They did an all 120mm MEU a couple years back. It didn't work out as intended and I think they're going to keep the 777 on the MEU for the foreseeable future (Unless a MEU CO just says F it, and brings them instead again). For one, you lose about 40-50% in range compared to the 777s, and 120s (depending on the type of tube; rifled, smoothbore) are not as accurate from what I have seen as a proficient 777 battery. IIRC I think one of the issues with the 120s on the MEU had to do with the reliability to break down, move, pack, and quickly load the EFSS on Osprey and jeep they used to move it. At least it was not in compared to the advantages/yield gained by bringing your standard Company 60s and/or Wpns Co 81s.

I also do not think 120mm can tie into FATDS capability which is probably a big piece due to the nature of networked warfare. In theory being able to electronically pull up active fire missions in every agency in the MACCS and/or SACC while it is being conducted for obvious deconfliction issues. As for 105s, I have no idea, except the old 105s would need to be redesigned to make lighter and have a system designed similar to FATDS for employment; which after reworking the 155s is probably a pipe dream right now.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
What he said. According to my Arty friends, sometimes they will split the battery to 3 777 and 3 120 tubes. If hotdogs is saying they're having problems breaking them down and loading them on the plotters, I don't see too much advantage to the split though other than not completely sacrificing your big hitters.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
When Hotdogs is talking about the "jeep" that pulls the 120, he is talking about this gator sized/ half go-kart "jeep" that is garbage, but fits in the Osprey.

The MEU has 4 Abrams main battle tanks for God sakes, it might as well have some Howitzers rusting down in the bottom of the ship as well.

As to the use of HMMWV as a prime mover... even the 81mm mortar platoon uses 7ton trucks. In theory 81s are man portable, but you can't carry much ammo even in a HMMWV, let alone in a pack.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
I'm also a big fan of 155s in general. The shit is awesome when you get things going on the gun line and comms work.

When Hotdogs is talking about the "jeep" that pulls the 120

Did they ever let you drive that jeep? because it looks fun as hell...

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
They did an all 120mm MEU a couple years back. It didn't work out as intended and I think they're going to keep the 777 on the MEU for the foreseeable future (Unless a MEU CO just says F it, and brings them instead again). For one, you lose about 40-50% in range compared to the 777s, and 120s (depending on the type of tube; rifled, smoothbore) are not as accurate from what I have seen as a proficient 777 battery. IIRC I think one of the issues with the 120s on the MEU had to do with the reliability to break down, move, pack, and quickly load the EFSS on Osprey and jeep they used to move it. At least it was not in compared to the advantages/yield gained by bringing your standard Company 60s and/or Wpns Co 81s.

I also do not think 120mm can tie into FATDS capability which is probably a big piece due to the nature of networked warfare. In theory being able to electronically pull up active fire missions in every agency in the MACCS and/or SACC while it is being conducted for obvious deconfliction issues. As for 105s, I have no idea, except the old 105s would need to be redesigned to make lighter and have a system designed similar to FATDS for employment; which after reworking the 155s is probably a pipe dream right now.

Thanks for the info. The Army (I think) is still using the M119 105mm piece and the diagrams show how it folds up to fit inside a Chinook. In the small case context of a MEU, I would think the flexibility to internally transport the artillery any distance by helicopter would be more valuable than the sheer firepower of a 155mm, especially if the ARG is over the horizon. However, that is a decision left to the grunts.